Kingston 40GB V Series Boot Drive SSD (Intel G2)

Associate
I've been waiting till I've got the spare cash for an 80GB Intel drive, but if these launch at a good price in the UK, I might well buy two of these instead and put them in RAID 0. :)

Man of Honour
OP
4KB Random Write File Test Results Chart:

m3l1vT4N.jpeg

random writes still look outstanding.

Soldato
As soon as i saw these on Anand i though great low cost prospect for HTPC's , blazing sequential speed isn't important for HTPC needs ....zero noise and good random access is all you need + low price doesn't hurt.

My HTPC box will be having one i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they are priced correctly ($85 = ~£50 so around £65 inc VAT and shipping seems reasonable) I'll probably be getting one for my HTPC. Got an old 500GB seagate in there atm and it's started making death moans.

Associate
You'd have to RAID them because of the abysmal write speeds (40MB/s).

Agreed, the write speeds are abysmal, but the read speeds are excellent in gaming type scenarios. Being that I use my PC for little more than web browsing and gaming I think these drives are a real contender.

Associate
If they are priced correctly ($85 = ~£50 so around £65 inc VAT and shipping seems reasonable) I'll probably be getting one for my HTPC. Got an old 500GB seagate in there atm and it's started making death moans.

Unfortunately the $85 price in the US is with a $25 mail-in rebate. The regular price is $110. I'll be very surprised if they sell as low as £65 over here. :(

Associate
But still 34.5MB/s is faster then any other indilinx drive out there by quite a bit.

Yeah, but Anand's Heavy Trace benchmark brings it to its knees, 'tho perhaps not indicative of the load an average consumer will place on the drive :D

Another review here. Ok for a netbook I suppose, but they need to keep the price in check.

Associate
So 3 of these 40gb kingstons in raid 0, or a 128gb m225 ?

Pro's/Cons
3* kingstons is around £20 cheaper
3* kingstons - gives 8gb less hd space - (unsure of formated sizes etc)
3* kingstons = 3x failure chance more likely
3* kingstons = faster ? - maybe
3* kingstons = more sata ports used, infact I don't have 3 spare, so sod this for a plan.

may just get some for laptops then..

Back
Top Bottom