Another tool from Piriform (CCleaner, Recuva, Defraggler)

Associate
nice

i still dont get how companies afford to bring out new software like this for free ...

Because they try and install yahoo toolbar with every installation. Thats thousands of installations a day from unassuming people who don't uncheck the right box. Theres no such thing as a free lunch!

I crunched the numbers and sure enough the revenue I could receive by including the toolbar would be huge. My overhead is low and the free version of WinPatrol has many thousand downloads even on the slowest day. If I chose to include the Ask.com tool bar I could probably retire comfortably by the end of the year.

So says Bill Pytlovany of Winpatrol fame.

;)

Soldato
Like it a lot, nice and easy, though it could be even more lightweight if it wanted, not without losing it's prettyness though!

Only thing it didn't fully detect was one of my HDDs, a WD RE2 I think.

Associate
Wow, excellent bit of software there.

I don't think there is a bit of software on the market that presents all of this information, in such a presentable way.

Definitely downloading the portable version, like all of their other software, which will be handy for sorting peoples computers out, etc!

Edit: JBloggs - I hope you're going to add this to your useful software thread.

Edit2: Can see you have infact :)

Associate
yeh, Piriform seems to be going from strength to strength which is great. All of their apps are decent. I use CCleaner a lot, Defraggler a bit but have heard reports that you end up with less disk space than you started with free (I have yet to read into this and why it happens and how it can be solved but i will get around to it), Recuva is the main app I havn't used a lot. Speccy seems a great app for a beta but does need a bit more adding to it. My suggestions are:

Networking, details on each adapter, whether or not disabled, current ip, mac addresses, currently connected network, stuff like that

USB devices connected

More on optical drives, more like what Nero info tool and IMG burn can tell you, supported media.

OS should show 32 or 64bit, activatation status, current workgroup or domain

Also, where it identifies a manufacturer, it should give a link to their website and or support/driver site.

A very similar tool is PC Wizard 2009. This gives a lot of info and I'm hoping Speccy will eventually be able to have all this info too.

Last edited:
Soldato
will give it a bash at work, am always doing restores and then having to spend quality time doing drivers, sissoft sandra and everest dont tend to report devices correctly most of the time... they seem to need the driver to see it properly.

But hopefully this tool will do it, only other life saver program ive found is Driverpack soloution, its proberly the only software that can see most hardware even unknown software and identify it and install the driver for it under XP/Vista/ and 7 but 7 supports still coming along, it does it automaticly as well !

This would be the perfect program to compliment it will give it a go and pop back after a few days...

Associate
bledd, do you work for piriform then?

Recuva has just managed to save a photo and holiday video that between us my two-year old and I managed to delete. Brilliant bit of kit, that!

Just tried Speccy, it fired up, showed "analysing" against everything apart from the OS for about 10 seconds, then hung my pc for about a minute before everything started working and it had all the results. But then my pc was made by the dinosaurs and sucks, so.....

Really like it, very nice, easy, lots of good info - I never knew my CPU was a Newcastle core until now! :) (I was given it by a mate!)

Associate
yeh, Piriform seems to be going from strength to strength which is great. All of their apps are decent. I use CCleaner a lot, Defraggler a bit but have heard reports that you end up with less disk space than you started with free (I have yet to read into this and why it happens and how it can be solved but i will get around to it), Recuva is the main app I havn't used a lot. Speccy seems a great app for a beta but does need a bit more adding to it. My suggestions are:
media.

OS should show 32 or 64bit, activatation status, current workgroup or domain.

It would show morespace being used whilst going through the defrag, as it copies the file to another part of the disk. After it's finished? I reckon they might be 'ghost' or temp files just as a backup whilst it is doing the defrag, just incase.

In regards to the what type of OS it is, mine shows fine:

Capture.JPG

Back
Top Bottom