Asus p6t / windows 7 64 / 6gb to 4gb

Associate
Dear All

having a problem with this mobo / win 7 and or triple channel memory OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) . After booting I sometimes see 4 gb in win7 (leading to paging faults and a blue screen) or the correct amount -6 gig . I have run a diag on the memory and all is fine . The memory appears in bios sometimes as 4gig sometimes as 6 gig . If I reboot immediately after seeing 4gig in win 7 9/10 times 6 gig appears and the machine runs stable for hours and hours .

I have seen responses on the web saying raise the voltage and set the timings differently . Can any of you experts help ...?? if not I'll have to send this mobo back to those nice people at OC's :(

Wayne

Soldato
What are your current RAM timings and voltages? Check using CPU-Z.

If everythink is at stock (which depends on the particular OCZ GOLD you bought), then you may want to check each stick of RAM individually ie remove all but 1 stick and run the system, if it works do it with another stick etc.

Soldato
I've got a similar setup working fine here. Make sure your RAM is at the correct latencies/voltage and your uncore volts are within .5v.

Associate
OP
I'll check using CPU-z tonight and post results tomorrow ...

Reflux

"I've got a similar setup working fine here. Make sure your RAM is at the correct latencies/voltage and your uncore volts are within .5v. "

Can you talk me through the above , I'm no expert with the timings in the BIOS etc ??

Many thanks for the replies

Soldato
Aye. Go into your BIOS and to the 'AI Tweaker' page. Scroll down to where it says 'AI Overclock Tuner' and set this to Manual. This will allow you to change your computer's clock speed and voltage settings.

Now you need to set your RAM speed. You need to know what it was rated at; so look for a label on the side of the stick or go to the product webpage.

Select 'DRAM Frequency' and set this as close to the rated frequency of your RAM as possible. You only get a few choices but if in doubt use the lower speed setting. Then you need to adjust your RAM latency timings. To do this, select 'DRAM Timing Control' and set the first four values to whatever your RAM is rated at. E.g. for decent 1600mhz RAM you'd be looking at 8-8-8-24.

Now you need to set the RAM voltage. The P6T doesn't allow you to set an absolute 1.65v which is what most i7 compatible kits are rated at so use 1.64 or 1.66.

That should be it.

Caporegime
It's not the motherboard, this happens when memory is overclocked too far or timings are too aggressive and one of the sticks can't cope.

IMO the tri-channel kits are not tested very well.

Associate
I have had the same issue for a few months now, got an p6td deluxe, 6gb g-skill trident, i920@4g. When ever i boot form cold i only ever see 4gig, if i switch off i then get the full 6gig of memory, Have RMA the board back and have read every thread available on this issue and have just come to live with the issue. I get all 6gig working fine as long as from a cold boot i switch on and off first. Very strange issue but something i will just live with, get the issue even at stock speeds. Dont think it is the board that causes it, possible cpu or memory issues but if you read the net peopel with other boards, cpus and memory all seem to have experienced this issue so may just be an X58 platform problem. No one has actually found out from what i could see as to what is the cause of the problem.

Associate
Hi there i had the exact same problem with this ram

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-151-OC&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1390

With this board

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-332-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1283

Tried setting timings, volts in bios, passed memtest86 over 20 times.

Lucky for me i have 2 i7 pc's so i tried the ram in the other pc and here are some screen shots

ss1911.png

ss19112.png

Tried the Patriot Viper from my other pc in the ASUS board and all was fine, ordered this ram http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-169-CS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1389 and all was fine.

So i returned the OCZ under RMA.

**edit the other MB is a Gigabyte not P6T**

Last edited:
Associate
Nice one will give this a try tomorrow, fingers crossed the issue will be resolved, getting my SSD tomorrow so will be a good old day of fun :D

Associate
OP
Thats great news , I'll try this tomorrow .

The story so far ... bios settings are now perfect for my memory , correct timings , voltage , cpu settings , even o/c'ed the cpu a little but still have the same issue . Turn on , windows 7 two to three minutes later , welcome to the blue screen , windows 7 ..... but this time 4 gig , restart windows 7 6 gig and then on as stable as you like , eg Borderlands playing , browsing as well , plus burning a cd (well you get the picture !) .Lets hope the bios update helps if not I'm going to return the ocz mem and try the cosair .. SOMETHING has to be causing this .. its very frustrating !!!

Post your resultas after the new bios chaps

Wayne

Soldato
Same problem, same RAM, same Motherboard, same CPU as me :)

I fixed mine by testing the RAM, turns out it was faulty at anything about 1440Mhz giving 60+ errors, but hid itself as working fine below that speed. Run it at rated speed (1600Mhz @ 1.65V) and see if any errors crop up.

OcUK were nice enough to replace me with some Corsair XMS3

Associate
OP
Page fault in non paged area - BSOD after installing new bios . Same issue , cold boot - crap --- warm boot steady as a rock :mad:

At a loss as what to do next ?????

-p6t , 6 gig ocz gold , i7 core 950 3.06

Associate
Right, turned PC on this morning only showing 4gb, rebotted to 6gb, ran prime 95 and some workers stopped right away.

Put everything in the BIOS back to auto so the ram would be running at 1066, no workers stoped in prime 95 (for an hour).

Flashed the BIOS and set the correct ram timings (9,9,9,24) been running prime 95 for over 3 hours now and all seems to be fine.

Will report back tomorrow.

Caporegime
Like I said earlier it's most likely a bad stick of memory, this problem isn't unique to P6T.

If I try to run my memory at 7-7-7-21 1600Mhz I get the same thing (only 4GB detected) unless I increase the voltage to 1.65V, instead I just run it without any problems at 8-8-8-24 1.5V.

I've also owned 2-3 other tri-channel sets and there always seemed to be 1 stick weaker than the others.

Try running your memory at 1066 for a few days and see if it fixes it.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you tried this ? This is for the ASUS PT6 Deluxe V2 mobo rather than the normal P6t. Try these memory settings .
I have a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 with OCZ Obsidian Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3OB1600LV6GKOS. Installed Win7 Pro 64 bit. The BIOS and OS both only showed 4 Gig of the 6 GIG installed. I did some digging and found the following BIOS setting fixed my problem immediatly. 9-9-9-24-88 (CAS 9, tRCD 9, tRP 9, tRAS 24, tRFC 88.) My machine has now been up for 36 hours with no issues and both the BIOS and OS show 6 GIG memory now. All other memory settings left on Auto.

Regards,
TheDave

I found this here. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-257429_12_0.html

This is the motherboard I was considering getting so let us know whether this helps fix it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll give that a go tonight and report back .... Running memtest86+ for the next few hours . If that comes back blank I'll try the new mem settings . Then I'll take off the cpu and check the mobo pins , have found another thread that mentions A) the cooler on too tight , B) pins on the mobo touching

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom