eXtreme Liquid Cooling - Build Log + Overclocking

Soldato
So a while back in undertook my extreme air cooling project (here) and since then I have been wanting to build a 24/7 chilled liquid rig

So with it coming up to Christmas I have some time on my hands to get start what I have had planned for sometime now!

Over the next few weeks I will be posting my updates here.. I hope you all enjoy this one as much as the Air build..

Sponsors:
To Follow...

Edit:
I have re-organised the first post and added links to updates so hopefully will be a little easier for people to quickly follow progress / see pictures :)

Links to Posts:
Update 01
Update 02
Update 03
Update 04
Update 05
Update 06
Update 07
Update 08 - added 03/01/10
Update 09 - added 05/01/10
Update 10 - added 08/01/10
Update 11 - added 09/01/10
Update 12 - added 10/01/10
Update 13 - added 10/01/10
Update 14 - added 14/01/10
Update 15 - added 15/01/10
Update 16 - added 15/03/10

Last edited:
Associate
Never seen your old build before! Those fans were epic haha, gonna have to work hard to build an equally impressive rig again :p

Any idea about what your putting in the case yet?

Soldato
Very exciting. I haven't seen the air cooling thread, so think I'll read it now.

Two questions, how far above/below ambient are you hoping to keep the coolant? How are you planning on chilling it?

Cheers :)

Caporegime
Look forward to seeing more of this Pneumonic, your extreme air builds with the q6600 were fantastic reading (and a great source of info for my own q6600 clocking), plus i see youve got more missus distraction units (cats), good luck with this latest endeavour.:)

Soldato
ahh the Mozart, great cases, I has two of these and kept them for over a year which is a record for me, put in like 9 fans and daisy chained them to 2 molex connectors at 5v

bit sad I gave them away at ~ £35 or so each :(

Soldato
how are you going to make it extreme (or to the max what ever kids are cooling it nowdays) i have high end watercooling but i want to see something a bit mental tbh especially after your air cooling madness

/subscribed

edit: i suppose chucking it in a bath is pretty EXTREME :)

Caporegime
bit extreme bathing your case:(
Believe it or not, i consider washing a case prety normal, best way to get rid of gunk. When i take my TRUE cooler out to give it a clean, i use my bathroom shower to clean it, because the fins are so tight a brush is no use, power shower works wonders, dry it off with a hair dryer and your sorted, ive actually washed my akasa eclipse case with the shower head as well, as long as you let things dry adequately youll be fine.

Soldato
OP
Update 1 Chassis:
A couple of weeks back a friend decided that his Mozart case was just to big to sit in his front room (well I think it was more his misses to be fair), anyway's with the snow today I finally got round to building his new rig and as compensation have received said Mozart case, which is going to form the basis of my new build.

The case was in a pretty dire way (dust, dead creatures, etc...) so having got it back this evening its gone straight into the bath for a good clean!

Photo0033.jpg

As you can see it has certainly interested one of the cats...

Hardware:
I have thought about this for a while and decided to use my AM3 set up rather than my i7, main reason being that AM3 CPU seem to respond a lot better to sub-zero cooling than the Intel.

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair III Formula
CPU: 965 BE
RAM: TBC
Graphics: Two 4870 X2

From what I have seen other 965 BE doing at sub-zero I am going to aim for 24/7 clocks of 4.5ghz with maybe a 4.8ghz superpi run

Cooling:
Well the new rig will run three water loops:

Loop 1: Graphics + Full Cover Board Block (Maybe)
Will be my current graphics loop; two full cover blocks, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, ThermoChill 120.3.

The Full board block will go into this loop if I can't think of a way of insulating the whole board.

Loop 2: CPU + Full Cover Board Block (Maybe)
Very simple... EK Supreme block (am considering getting myself an HK block), DDC Ultra Pump and the 130mm x 130mm heat exchanger (cold side)

Loop 3: Heat Dump
Nice Simple loop :); 130mm * 130mm heat exchanger (hot side), Large Capacity Res (I may use two), DDC Ultra (Again two for flow may be required), At the moment I plan on two ThermoChill PA 120.2 and two ThermoChill PA 120.3.. will see if I can squeeze it all in!.

The Heat Exchanger
I shall be using two 130mm by 130mm 'water blocks' which will have eight 19911 TEC units sandwich between them.

TEC Unit Specification:
Qmax: 225 Watts
Imax: 15.5 Amps
Vmax: 24 Volts
DTmax: 64c
Tmax: 125c

I expect day - to - day to run each unit at somewhere between 3v - 12v depending on the cooling required.

The hot side will need at max to cope with around 2000 watts to heat output (including CPU output) hence the abundance of radiators.. If I can aim to keep the hotside at around 25c - 30c then I should see some nice subzero temperatures on the cold side of the loop

Hope that has given you an idea of where I am going with this build.. some pictures of parts later :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom