PUSHING FOR 5GHz... i5 CLARKDALE RESULTS

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Hi Folks

Today i have ran a few quick benchmarks on the new Intel Core i5 670

this chip can be purchased here on the OcUK website

this is just to give you an example of what can be achieved on these amazing new processors.

The following benchmarks were gained using a single stick of Gskill Ripjaw 2000MHz and the incredible Asus Maximus III Formula Motherboard.

Please note
All of these results were gained using an air cooler and are in no way sustainable for long periods of time

Starting Off - we have a nice 4.6GHz run with HT disabled just to get into the swing of things

this gave impressive results in Super PI
SUPERPI.jpg

and also in Wprime 32m and 1024m
lolz-1.jpg

wprime1024.jpg

Pushing Further
4.6 was fairly easy as it involved increasing the multi to its max setting [27] and then compensating with lots of voltage.

after this we tried for 5ghz+ as the board is capable of 200+BCLK
giving a theoretical [200+X27]=5.4+GHz

I also turned hyperthreading on for this run to see if it would run without causing stability issues

Wprime 32m and 1024m saw nice improvements
wprime3251.jpg

10245ghzwprime.jpg

cinebench stopped running on multiple cores after 4.95GHz so i chose not to document any scores

here is an 8second SuperPi 1M @ 5GHz
SUPERPIHTON.jpg

and the validation screens
valid5094.jpg

valid5117.jpg

with top end system stability at around 4.6GHz on AIR cooling and 5ghz a realistic possibility under more exotic solutions,
these chips really are something special.

Soldato
The very interesting fact is with high end watercooling (and not a cooler that has been fitted 1000 times already) extreme clock speeds could be easily sustainable.

Also worth noting that Rich set these benchies up during a 40 minute period of time, so no three day prep time or anything silly.

Prolimatech Megahalems with the fan from a Titan Fenrir, by far not the best cooling on the planet and done in a rush. Just shows what these chips can do.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
i do like my ghetto benchmarking :D

my trusty battered heatsink and dusty 8600GT have definatly seen better days

Associate
Nice..:cool:

a 5GHz i5 would be great for a High res gaming rig, (Not that it'd be slow at anything else) especially if disabling HT would allow you to get to 5.4GHz. :eek:

Soldato
Those are such good results I'm actually tempted to replace my 920; grab one of these and clock the nuts of it under mah water loop. How sustainable 5ghz+ would be every day I'm not sure though. In addition, it's probably better to have eight logical threads than two or four.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would be interested to see how the i5 2/4 at 4ghz+ compares to a s775 quad-core when playing a game such as GTA4 that shows big benefits of quad core CPUs.

Associate
"with top end system stability at around 4.6GHz on AIR cooling and 5ghz a realistic possibility under more exotic solutions,
these chips really are something special."

Isn't this rather similar result to the ones of C2D E8400, E8500 & E8600 that have been around for a while or is there something I am missing?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
wolfdale dual cores didnt have hyper threading or a built in GPU

and thats just for starters

Soldato
random and idiotic question, but iv not been watching benchmarks or anything to do with computers now since 2006-2007.

what sort of a speed increase would going to something like a i5, or the cheapest i7 be over my spec in my sig?

Realistic awnsers please :p

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
you would see a noticable difference in games for starters
multithreaded applications feel a lot snappier on the i3 than they do on dual cores
i ran one side by side with a wolfdale 8400 and it stormed ahead in most instances

obviously it uses ddr3 memory over ddr2 which in many instances can be ran at much higher frequencies

it would certainly provide some breathing room for your 4870X2 to stretch its legs properly

if you encode or do heavy multitasking then an i7 may be the best choice, in all fairness it depends how you use your system.

Back
Top Bottom