Codemasters Bodycount

Soldato
Codemasters has revealed the first details of its new shooter, Bodycount, and designer Stuart Black has spoken about how he wants to create an intimate action game using ultra-destructive scenery and realistic gunplay.

In Bodycount you work for an agency only known as the 'Network', eliminating enemies that are only described as 'Targets'. Your job is part of a bigger picture, as a global power stuggle rages on - your actions in the present help the Network succeed, but during the campaign you see a glimpse of the future and face your conscience.

"If Race Driver: GRID was all about the purity of racing, then everything in Bodycount is absolutely centred on the bullet and its impact on the world," said Stuart Black, who has previously worked on EA's popular shooter Black.

"Our shredding tech enables us to create a different kind of gameplay, where players and AI can’t hide behind indestructible cover and rely on whack-a-mole mechanics. Here the environment is constantly changing as the game world is shot to hell; it’s going to be a huge amount of fun."

Bodycount will feature online multiplayer and co-op modes, with the maximum number of players being 12 - this is due to the sheer number of destructible objects and scenery items that can be mashed. The main game's campaign mode will remain a single-player too - Black told Gamespot that this was to tell the story of the lead character in more intimate detail.

"I wasn't particularly interested in making another shooter, right," Black reveals. "I wasn't really ready to go dipping my toes into those waters again….But, I'm a great FPS fan myself, right, I love playing FPSs and there was just this itch." The designer told Gamespot that he believes the destructible environments would better those in recent UK #1 Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Finally, a release window - Bodycount is on track to be released in the first quarter of 2011.

293k9ya.jpg

I heard a lot about Black before it's release but come it's arrival I think I'd already moved on from the PS2, having read some previews regarding this game though sounds like it could be something special :)

Caporegime
Looks absolutely appalling. It'll just be another of those arcadey feeling FPS's that ends up in a bargain bin for a tenner a few months after it comes out.

Soldato
Played the demo. It's certainly a nice looking game. The controls are naff however! LT aims BUT only if you press it halfway,full press means you stop and start leaning :eek:

Associate
Wow, that's bad. Played the demo from PSN.

At one point just after the start, I spotted a guy running next to me and assumed he must be on my side as he ignored me (I'd not read anything about the game so didn't know if you were solo or had teammates).

I got to cover next to him, he turned round and faced me before spinning back round and firing at someone else. Aha, must be on my side I thought. But no. 10 seconds later he turned round and started shooting me.

It thought it looked a bit fuzzy as well, as in rendered at a lower res and upscaled to 720.

Regardless, I don't know what Codemasters were thinking with that demo, apart from that they wanted to kill their sales for some odd reason.

Soldato
Had this on pre-order, played the demo then couldn't cancel my pre-order fast enough. Shame as I was looking forward to this :(

Played the demo. It's certainly a nice looking game. The controls are naff however! LT aims BUT only if you press it halfway,full press means you stop and start leaning :eek:

Yep, whoever thought that one up wants a kick up the bum!

Associate
I must be the only person in the world that likes it, but I've never been one to care about such things so be it. I don't generally try to move about when I'm shooting down the sights (why would you?) and think the lean mechanic is actually pretty decent as I can duck behind cover, lean out while zoomed and take a pop. I love the feel and sound of the weapons, and the way the screen shakes when you fire of a round. I thought the graphics wernt bad and I never had an issue with the A.I either - there is a battle going on between two opposing factions so it would be a little silly if they were both in a middle of a firefight only to stop, shake hands and join forces just to kill one bloke (the player). Of course the different factions did still shoot at me and used cover, advanced and tried to flank me.

After seeing some development footage of the way zooming obscured the entire right hand side of the screen with the gun I was all ready to hate this game, but after playing the demo where this has been addressed whereby the gun takes up much less of the screen when zoomed now I really enjoyed it, preordered the game and have never looked back. I've heard its only about four hours long, but whenever I've heard that before I've always found the game in question has always taken me roughly between 6 - 7 hours to complete as I like to take my time, explore and look at/interact with things most gamers simply run past.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the "reviews" after all they always seem to say the exact opposite of what I think 95% of the time (the Driver reviews are a case in point - truly terrible game imo) .I always make my own mind up based on screenshots, gameplay videos and any information on the game and what you have to do. Glad I did because I enjoy Bodycount and thats all that matters to me.

Back
Top Bottom