Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 5th Apr 2010, 16:56   #1
Guv
Mobster

Kwikfit MOT's - ok or avoid?

Kwik fit have an offer on MOT's - £35 when booked online.

Any reasons why I shouldn't take my car to them?
It's the most convenient place for me to get an MOT done and cheaper than most.
Car is a 2001 BMW 330ci.
Guv is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 16:57   #2
MarkDavis
Mobster

MOT is MOT.

Set statutory criteria and all that - its not going to change from one MOT station to another.
MarkDavis is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:03   #3
Lopéz
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDavis View Post
MOT is MOT.

Set statutory criteria and all that - its not going to change from one MOT station to another.
In theory, yes. In practice, no.

In a collision, there you are. In an explosion, where are you?
Lopéz is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:03   #4
billysielu
Sgarrista

Whilst an MOT is an MOT, you want to have it done at the same place you'll use to do any required work on the vehicle. Otherwise you'll have to pay for a re-test.

I wouldn't let Kwik Fit anywhere near my car, they're not very well trained and they're usually unprofessional and inexperienced.

CPU:. Intel i7 920 @ 3.3 GHz ..| Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
MOBO: Asus P6TD Deluxe ........| Corsair 12GB XMS3
GPU:. Gainward 780 Phantom GLH | Samsung 840 250GB SSD
CASE: Antec P193 & 850W PSU ...| Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP
Last edited by billysielu; 5th Apr 2010 at 17:08.
billysielu is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:04   #5
sigma
Capodecina

Avoid.

RIP Greenlizard0
sigma is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:10   #6
Akira
Wise Guy

Avoid. You can't get ficker than a kwik fit fitter.

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."
Akira is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:19   #7
MarkDavis
Mobster

I agree that Kwik Fit wouldn't be the first choice, but what exactly is going to go wrong?

They're just going to be checking stuff not rebuilding the engine or fixing stuff.

MOT is a very basic test. Windscreen wipers work, steering wheel turns, wheels turn, indicators work, horn works, brakes legal, tyres legal etc.

If your car's in reasonable nick, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:21   #8
Lopéz
Man of Honour

Quote:
MOT is a very basic test. Windscreen wipers work, steering wheel turns, wheels turn, indicators work, horn works, brakes legal, tyres legal etc.
You should not post about things you don't understand - the MOT test covers a whole lot more than that!

In a collision, there you are. In an explosion, where are you?
Lopéz is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:25   #9
MarkDavis
Mobster

Doesn't look that complicated!

What the MOT test includes

The body and vehicle structure

Is free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas and there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury.

The fuel System

Has no leaks and the fuel cap fastens and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened so be sure the key is available.

The exhaust emissions

The vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependant on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.

The exhaust system

Is secure, complete, without serious leaks and silences effectively.

The seat belts

All belts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seat belts must be in place.

The seats

The front seats are secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position.

Components to be inspected

The doors

Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.

The mirrors

The minimum numbers are on the vehicle, their condition and security.

Load security

Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.

The brakes

Their condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels is not part of the test.

The tyres and wheels

Their condition, security, size, type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.

The registration plates

Their condition, security, characters correctly formed and spaced.

The lights

Their condition, operation and security. Headlamps for aim.

The bonnet

Securely latches in the closed position.

The wipers and washers

Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.

The windscreen

Its condition and the driver’s view of the road.

The horn

Operates correctly and is of a suitable type.

The steering and suspension

Are of a satisfactory condition and operation.

The vehicle identification number (VIN)

Is on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 17:42   #10
Hades
Capodecina

With my Golf I just get it done at the local VAG dealer. It's the same price as anywhere else (although not quite as cheap as that Quick Fit offer obviously) and they not only collect it and return it for me, they also wash it... all for no extra cost. Do BMW do a similar service?

Hades is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 18:00   #11
Will
Mobster

As Lopez alludes to, the problem comes when you get a tester who is less than 100% honest, and can choose to fail your car and suggest remedial work which is un-necessary - for example telling you your brake pads and discs need replacing, when theres actually nothing wrong with them.

Such tactics are far from unusual - for a garage such tactics can generate a useful amount of extra work (hence income) from the typical motorist who sadly doesn't know any better than whatever his mechanic will tell him. Failing a car deliberately on what would, at an honest garage, be an advisory notice at best, and telling the owner its dangerous and illegal to drive unless he gets his wallet out is sadly not unusual...

You would hope that a big company such as Kwit Fit would be above this, but alas like any franchise its only as good/bad as the staff at any particular branch.

2008 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport
Will is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 19:00   #12
daveydave
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
As Lopez alludes to, the problem comes when you get a tester who is less than 100% honest, and can choose to fail your car and suggest remedial work which is un-necessary - for example telling you your brake pads and discs need replacing, when theres actually nothing wrong with them.

Such tactics are far from unusual - for a garage such tactics can generate a useful amount of extra work (hence income) from the typical motorist who sadly doesn't know any better than whatever his mechanic will tell him. Failing a car deliberately on what would, at an honest garage, be an advisory notice at best, and telling the owner its dangerous and illegal to drive unless he gets his wallet out is sadly not unusual...

You would hope that a big company such as Kwit Fit would be above this, but alas like any franchise its only as good/bad as the staff at any particular branch.
+1; in summary get a garage you can trust to do the work.

Z4M Coupe - Interlagos Blue - 340bhp
daveydave is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 19:01   #13
Third Opinion
Soldato

I bet they claim you need a new exhaust or atleast an adviser, new tyres and they love condemming brakes.
Third Opinion is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 19:39   #14
Bug One
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Opinion View Post
I bet they claim you need a new exhaust or atleast an adviser, new tyres and they love condemming brakes.
Either your brakes, exhaust or tyres will need replacing. Guaranteed.

Bug One is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 19:41   #15
Glaucus
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu View Post
Whilst an MOT is an MOT, you want to have it done at the same place you'll use to do any required work on the vehicle. Otherwise you'll have to pay for a re-test.

You can take it anywhere you want for repairs then just take it back for the retest.

Glaucus is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 19:59   #16
snowdog
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysielu View Post
No I don't, I want to have my car fixed in front of my house by myself or F&F, I don't do an MOT there.

Most things it would fail MOT on would be an absolute waste of money to bring it to a garage/dealer/3rd party.

You want to go to a garage for changing your bulbs, brake pads, wipers, etcetc ?

Rules are just guidelines, for those who can't make up their own mind!Last.FM
Last edited by snowdog; 5th Apr 2010 at 20:03.
snowdog is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:15   #17
markweatherill
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidHell2 View Post

You can take it anywhere you want for repairs then just take it back for the retest.
On some items it's a free retest, on others it isn't. It used to say so on the back of the 'fail sheet' what is and isn't included, don't know if it still does.
markweatherill is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:17   #18
OllyM
Soldato

My sister got her Golf MOT'd at Kwik Fit using this offer and it passed with no advisories.
OllyM is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:19   #19
Felix
Wise Guy

Take it to a council MOT test centre. They don't have garages and are therefore unlikely fail your car unless it really has a failure.
Felix is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:20   #20
izzy eckerslike
Wise Guy

Quote:
MOT is MOT.

like my son who took his car to Halfords Redditch for an MOT & it failed on 17 points, took it to the one I use & it failed on just 2 minor points
izzy eckerslike is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:39   #21
Janesy B
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
No I don't, I want to have my car fixed in front of my house by myself or F&F, I don't do an MOT there.

Most things it would fail MOT on would be an absolute waste of money to bring it to a garage/dealer/3rd party.

You want to go to a garage for changing your bulbs, brake pads, wipers, etcetc ?
Newsflash, not everyone has the time/skill/tools to do 'simple' jobs such as pads and discs, or CV joints, bushes etc.
Janesy B is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:47   #22
Berger
Sgarrista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesy B View Post
Newsflash, not everyone has the time/skill/tools to do 'simple' jobs such as pads and discs, or CV joints, bushes etc.
Its OK he has never had a UK MOT given that he doesnt live here or know how our system works.
Berger is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:49   #23
snowdog
Capodecina

Quote:
What about changing bulbs and wipers and that kind of stuff, I find it extraordinary how dealers can charge large sums for 2-30 minutes ( depending on what car and what bulb) of work. On my dad's car the dealer wanted 60€ to change a headlight bulb . Sure it may be a little bit of a pain to get to it on that side ( have to remove the battery), but 60 euros for 10 minutes of work, unless I'd earn 360€ per hour, I would still not see the point in letting someone else do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger View Post
Its OK he has never had a UK MOT given that he doesnt live here or know how our system works.
As if the MOT requirements are much different

Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:51   #24
MrMoonX
PermaBanned

mate took his car to a kwik fit cheapo MOT, they tried to do him for an exhaust, brake pads, some suspension components and rear tyres. He took it to a council test centre as his car was only 4 years old and he was dubious, it passed!!! enough said, he also reported his local kwik fit to VOSA, and sent them the paperwork and everything, i guess they got audited by vosa
MrMoonX is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:55   #25
snowdog
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoonX View Post
mate took his car to a kwik fit cheapo MOT, they tried to do him for an exhaust, brake pads, some suspension components and rear tyres. He took it to a council test centre as his car was only 4 years old and he was dubious, it passed!!! enough said, he also reported his local kwik fit to VOSA, and sent them the paperwork and everything, i guess they got audited by vosa
Which is exactly the reason I would refuse to allow the MOT place to do any work on the car. I want an MOT check, not a repair or being ripped off like in your example.

Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:55   #26
Janesy B
Capodecina

Quote:
What about changing bulbs and wipers and that kind of stuff, I find it extraordinary how dealers can charge large sums for 2-30 minutes ( depending on what car and what bulb) of work. On my dad's car the dealer wanted 60€ to change a headlight bulb . Sure it may be a little bit of a pain to get to it on that side ( have to remove the battery), but 60 euros for 10 minutes of work, unless I'd earn 360€ per hour, I would still not see the point in letting someone else do it.

As if the MOT requirements are much different
There's a vast quantity of things that can cause an MOT failure, not just the silly things like bulbs or wiper blades.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 20:58   #27
Hades
Capodecina

I'd always advise against using a place that advertises a free re-test if it fails. The likelihood is that they will deliberately fail it, then do the unnecessary work and just issue the MOT.

Hades is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2010, 21:01   #28
snowdog
Capodecina

Quote:
There's a vast quantity of things that can cause an MOT failure, not just the silly things like bulbs or wiper blades.
My point is, why do people take their cars to garages or pay someone to fix these ''silly things'' ?

These ''silly things'' cause more failures than you think, lets pick a 2000 530i as an example, according to this, of the 1,089 MOT failures, 642 have had some kind of failure on Lighting and Signaling ( but did not all fail exclusively on that, before you go into attack mode )...

Last edited by snowdog; 5th Apr 2010 at 21:07.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 21:04   #29
Janesy B
Capodecina

Quote:
My point is, why do people take their cars to garages or pay someone to fix '' silly things'' ?
Because they have the money and lack the skill/common sense to do it themselves.
Old 5th Apr 2010, 21:10   #30
MarkDavis
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
the problem comes when you get a tester who is less than 100% honest, and can choose to fail your car and suggest remedial work which is un-necessary.....such tactics can generate a useful amount of extra work (hence income) from the typical motorist who sadly doesn't know any better than whatever his mechanic will tell him.
I just wonder how much paranoia there is about Kwik Fit and MOTs. As far as I'm aware, all MOTs have to be done by certified MOT testers - not your normal YTS spanner monkeys. In fact, the the person who does the MOT normally has their certificate displayed on the wall with the VOSA(?) stamp and their name on it.

Why would they want to defraud customers to generate some business? Its not as if they're on commission. They'd lose their job if they looked to defraud and the company would be prosecuted by trading standards. The damage done to Kwik-Fit's reputation would be immeasurable.

I've had a MOT done at Kwik Fit probably 3 or 4 times over the years, at branches ranging from Uxbridge (London), Bristol and Leeds, and it's passed every time. The Leeds branch completely ballsed up fitting some brake pads for me (which is why I would never use them again) but MOT is purely an inspection. Any work that needs doing should ordinarily be picked up with the mechanic / garage that you use to service the car anyway, but if you really are overly worried, then just take the car into your usual mechanic for a quick when the car is serviced, or even somewhere like Rapid-Fit, Nationwide Autocentres etc. The check is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I'd always advise against using a place that advertises a free re-test if it fails. The likelihood is that they will deliberately fail it, then do the unnecessary work and just issue the MOT.
Practically everywhere offers a free re-test. The stipulation is usually within 48 hours or something like that.
Last edited by MarkDavis; 5th Apr 2010 at 21:13.