£1500 Gaming & General Purpose Spec - Advice Needed!

Associate
After going through a couple of laptops, I've reached the conclusion that they fill up with dust and overheat in my warm attic too easily, so I need to build a big strong tower case box. I'm a little rusty on current tech - the last time I built a machine was with a DFI nForce Ultra B board (how come motherboards aren't UV-reactive like they used to be?!). Anyhoo, there's a few prerequisites to my required spec:

Budget: £1500. Obviously I'd like to spend less, but that's the most I'm comfortable spending for a decent machine.
Must have two separate hard drives - one for OS/programs, and a much larger (preferably 2TB or more) one for music/documents/dev/important stuff I don't want to lose.
Dual displays - I'm pretty firm on 2x BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitors, as they're cheap and get rave reviews everywhere I go.
The machine will be used for general everyday usage, audio recording, and a little (sim racing) gaming.
It's gonna be left on 24/7 a lot of the time, so I need it not to make too much noise.
Air cooling only, no water cooling setups.
Keyboard, mouse, OS, soundcard, and the all-important steering wheel and pedals will be provided by me separate from this machine's budget.

I propose the following spec - I've added comments to each item so you can see why I've chosen them:

BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor | £164.99
BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor | £164.99

Coolermaster ATCS 840 Classic Case – Black | £149.98 >>> From what I gather, this case is the bees-knees. Full tower, and very quiet. Although it's expensive, I consider it an 'investment' for the future :).

Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular 700W Power Supply | £89.99 >>> It's the same brand, so it should go nicely in the ATCS 840, right? 700W should be enough(?), but the case supports dual PSU's, so I can buy another to pump things up a bit if really needed.

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM | £84.99
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM | £84.99
>>> I don't care about it being on offer, but this is one of the few SATA III 6Gb/s drives – provided I use a motherboard that supports that. The speed advantage seems worth paying for? Although one of these drives will be used for the OS/programs and the other for storage, I intend to relegate both these drives to the role of 'storage' and purchase a SSD drive once they're a bit more sensible to use as a faster OS/programs drive in the future.

Sony Optiarc AD-7241S 24x DVD±RW SATA Lightscribe Optical Drive (Black) - OEM | £18.99 >>> Any old DVD+/-RW SATA drive will do – this one seems nice and hopefully matches the case.

That's £778.01 so far, leaving us £721.99. Now it gets a little harder:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 Black Edition 3.40GHz (Socket AM3) - Retail | £154.99 >>> I've chosen the AMD route for no reason other than there's a certain comfort in being able to throw a company's top-of-the-range CPU into my shopping trolly. Although they're due to release a six-core CPU soon, apparently these 'cores' don't make much difference anyway?

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard | £119.99 >>> Although the Asus Crosshair III board looks nice (bright packaging), it doesn't support 6Gbp/s SATA so it's out the window. I intend to overclock, but not to go crazy. I just want a nice, popular, reliable board, and do not intend to upgrade the CPU. Is this one suitable?

G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH) | £111.35 >>> Not really sure which RAM to go for – I guess this (at 1600Mhz with C7 timing) is quite fast?

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card | £323.99 >>> You all know far more than me about video cards, but this one seems popular. To save a few quid for a decent after-market CPU fan, might have to drop down to something in the 5850 or GTX 275 range?

After-market heatsink + fan – no idea. Can anyone suggest a great one to go with everything above?

The above four items cost £721.50. Not bad, eh? All together the above spec comes to £1499.51. I assume this is quite a tasty bit of machine that will attract the chicks? I'd be eternally grateful if people could suggest improvements or alert me to any incompatibilities! :)

Soldato
Sata 6Gbps does not make a difference for mechanical drives as far as I'm aware, u'd have to get an SSD to see a difference

Associate
Mechanical HDD's dont even use the full potential of Sata II yet and if you do RAID 0 with those 2 HDD's it is apparently quicker if you use Sata II ports :)

The only drives that use the Sata 3 nicely is the Crucial SSD's and other SSD's in RAID 0.

The RAM yes AMD prefers lower timings than higher clock speeds. so good choice.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the tips all! So i'll go for the SATA-II version of the drive...

Here's the current line-up:

biobirospec1.jpg

Cool suggestion 'Ryan-3' - a non-maintanence CPU watercooler seems acceptable :). Assuming when it comes out it'll weigh-in at over fifty quid, add that to the above £1156.81 and i'm left with a choice between graphics cards:

The 'XFX GeForce GTX 285 Black Edition 1024MB' seems good, but then so does the 'Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 1024MB'. Price difference is neither here nor there. Can anyone nudge me wherether to go GTX285 or 5850?

Soldato
After going through a couple of laptops, I've reached the conclusion that they fill up with dust and overheat in my warm attic too easily, so I need to build a big strong tower case box. I'm a little rusty on current tech - the last time I built a machine was with a DFI nForce Ultra B board (how come motherboards aren't UV-reactive like they used to be?!).

only the DFI LanParty motherboards are UV-reactive, and Overclockers dont stock them any more.

u can still get the newer lanpartys thou, that are uv reactive.

as for the spec, with the money your going to spend, it would be worth getting an SSD drive.
also, u might want to think about an i7 system, unless ur dead set on AMD

Soldato
I will certainly back up the Fractal R2 though. its a great case.

+ with an i7 920, its cheaper + only a 1x on the multi different to 930, its just Intel pretending to have new tech.

Caporegime
the fractal case is tiny compared to a atcs840.

he did say its a future investment, so probably wants it to last plenty of yearsl

he probably likes the looks too, which is a personal thing.

Associate
OP
the fractal case is tiny compared to a atcs840.

he did say its a future investment, so probably wants it to last plenty of yearsl

he probably likes the looks too, which is a personal thing.

He does like the look of it, and he does intend to keep it for a long time ;).

I'm all ears on an Intel build based around the Intel i7 920 @ £179.99, although there's so much choice of motherboards and RAM i'm a bit lost.

Either an Asus P6X58D-E or Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R might be nice?

Combine it with some Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C7 or Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8.

Graphics from the aforementioned Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5850 @ £220.99 and all together i'm sold!

Back
Top Bottom