Build your own: FAN SWITCH

Associate
Hello everyone,

Illl start by giving you all a bit of background information. I recently bought a delta EHE fan to cool my computer (being one of the most powerful and noisy). Had it installed and running perfectly but the noise was a real issue. I decided that running the fan on all the time was a waste but not using it wasn't any better. I decided to build my own and show you all how easy it is to do yourself.

because i already have 2 inverter swtches for my cathodes i decided to put all three switches into one box to make it a bit neater. So, for this project i will be using:

2X Akasa cold blue cathodes (pair) - optional
1X four pin molex to fan adapter
1X 20amp at 12vdc Toggle switch (SPST, 3 pin LED)
3X project wire
1X cable sleeve and heatshrink - optional

First off started by installing the lights onto the side of my case and ran the wires out of a spare PCI slot.For this you need to remove the switch for the lights by giving the cables a yank out, routing them and reconnecting (no solder needed as they are spade connections).

Associate
OP
Making the switch

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6011/pict0272q.jpg

This is the switch i will be using and i will be connecting it to this fan connector:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3954/pict0304i.jpg

The next steps are important if you plan to do this yourself. The two black cables are the ground, the yellow cable is +12v and the red cable is +5v, this is standard on all connectors in the computer with this molex. The switch you should use will vary depending on the fan itself. You can find information about your fan on its sticker. Mine was rated at 3 amps on the 12v rail (its always 12v) Yours may be different bu by going with a switch which has a higher rating you cant go too far wrong.

Because i need the cables to extend from my computer for the switch i will add extra wire and solder these onto the yellow cable. The next step is to attatch the switch to the cable in this order:

12v cable --> power pin of switch --> Acc pin of switch --> Fan --> black cable nearest 12v cable on the molex connector. For three pin switches i.e. the ones that have an LED inside you need to connect the third pin (ground) to some other metal object such as a computer case or other common ground. For 2 pin switches it usually makes no difference which way round the switch goes.

I personally chose to add some wire sleeving to fit in with my blue colour scheme, if you do this dont for get the sleeving and heatshrink before you solder the switch in.

I have a box being drilled by a friend and will post final pics sometime next week:D

Associate
OP
it sounds more complicated than it really is. Ill show at the end how easy it is to do yourself, so far it took me a trip to the local electrics store and a couple of mins to wire up.

bru

bru

Soldato
Nice guide but wouldn't it be cheaper and less hassle just to buy a switch or fan controller?

possibly but as i have found if you want to put 4 radiator fans onto one channel and three onto another channel, you cant just use any old controller as most of them cant handle more than one fan on each channel

Associate
OP
total basic cost was £2 ish as i already had the cables from a doner computer. was just a cheap and quick way to connect it up and once i have the box it will be clear why i chose to build my own.

EDIT: the box is taking longer than expected to have drilled. Just to explain it a bit further though this is a solution to be able to turn fans on and off particularly noisy ones which are only used now and then. Using this technique it is possible to have one switch to control multiple fans or a switch per fan external of the computer case rather than having to open the case when you want to tun the fan on and off , buying a fan controler you dont need or my personal favorite of hanging the connector out of a spare PCI slot at the back ^^

Last edited:
Associate
OP
FINAL UPDATE

Hello all,

Finally managed to get the box completed and heres the holes being cut and sized with a reemer so i can now shed some light on this topic (pun intended ;)):

being reemed:

The final article:

Hope this gives a clear indication to what ive done. To sum it up:

1.added 2 akasa cold cathode blue pair of lights placing the switches through a PCI port so that they are on the outside.

2. Installed fan and rewired it with a built in switch which lights up

3. drilled holes in a box for all three switches

4.Plonked the switches in the holes (they have either clip in or a locking nut to hold it in place)

5. put the box where i wanted to allow me an easy way to turn on and off a noisy fan and know when it is on by the light as well as turn on the internal lighting at will.

The overall cost for this project was £6.48 for the box and switches - lights and fans were presents ^^

Associate
Why not use an empty drive bay? Saves having an extra box lying around that is attached to your pc.

Just take the bay cover, put the relevant holes through it and mount the switches there. I did this with some cathodes in my case and it's really handy.

Associate
OP
Why not use an empty drive bay? Saves having an extra box lying around that is attached to your pc.

Just take the bay cover, put the relevant holes through it and mount the switches there. I did this with some cathodes in my case and it's really handy.

cant use the drive bay covers as there mesh - haf 922 the box like this will help make this easy to move from build to build (im thinking of changing my case soon or building my own)

Big enough pictures?

I'd much rather have a couple of little switches in a drive bay or a blanking plate for a pci slot.

yeah sorry bout the picture size - first time on imageshack

i see what you mean, im currently making a revides version of this including lcd thermometer displays and custom LED/cathode lighting as well as a built in fan controller with external fan and molex slot for testing. This one will be a modular design using a blanking plate.

The reason behind this project was to get used to modding computer curcuitry ready for more dabbling later on. However, i stick by my little box as it works for me and is in more of a convienient place rather than at the rear or front of my computer of which both are innaccessable easilly.

Thank you for your thoughts though, i have taken these into account in this project currently under build:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18153828

if you have any more advice for this two part build id be willing to hear it - i can always learn!:)

Back
Top Bottom