Oh lordy what I have I just done!

Permabanned
I've had a drink - and me + ebay + drink = not good :/

I was ebay surfing and found this iPad 16gb Wifi listed. Someone in Glasgow. A one day listing, with 11hrs remaining. A picture that looks like its taken by the seller - not just generic Apple image, reason for selling is something to do with work supplying him with a tablet computer. Also a comment on there about being relisted because of time wasters. The big boohoo is the zero rate. Nothing bought or sold. Member since May 2008.

Anyway, rash decision - bought it now @ £279.00. Used Paypal and a credit card so hopefully if it goes belly up I can resolve it. Might come and bite me on the ass tho!.

Wish me luck :p

Associate
I think you're right to have a bad feeling about this. I've bought and sold a lot of Apple hardware and it's usually situations like this where it goes belly up. iPhones are another of those - "if it's too good to be true" auctions...

I've got a few suggestions from experience.

The feedback coupled with the low price is a big worry. Due to the concerns, if you haven't heard anything already I'd suggest communicating immediately with the seller through the ebay messages system. Only use this method as your point of contact. Explain you are looking forward to receiving the ipad, confirm it is a genuine apple ipad and would like to know about delivery.

If you don't get any response after 24 hours, immediately send another mail asking for an update. Wait about 12 hours then file a paypal dispute and take it from there.

If the english is broken it's often not a good sign.

The best one I had was buying an "32gb ipod touch" for about £140 a few years ago. It arrived but I knew something was wrong when, after hitting the on button, a panda started dancing on the screen and a dubious chinese jingle came out of a horrific sounding speaker.

Don't get me wrong, there is a chance it might be legit, but don't hang about with comms and definately put the hammer down with paypal if it starts to look bad.

Soldato
Bargain of the century if it pays off, worth a punt I'd say if you use paypal and a credit card, almost no chance of losing your money in long run. The thing that makes me wonder is that the guy can't have much of a clue at that price, he could have added another 200 on it and it would have sold, maybe not with 0 feedback though.

Last edited:
Commissario
Well I hope for your sake that it's all OK but it all seems very wrong.

A highly desirable item, cheap as chips and by a seller with 0 feedback. Hmmmm, there's something not right there. Good luck.

Permabanned
OP
An update for anyone who cares.

Sent 2 emails through eBay - no response.
Sent an email to the Paypal address provided about 10mins ago.
Noticed just now that the dispatched icon is highlighted on the eBay page. No actual tracking details provided though.
The seller has listed a used iPhone 3G and a copy of CS4 Suite for Mac as well at around the same time.

As far as money is conerned - from what you guys on here and some other guys on other forums are saying - it's pretty much a no-lose situation for me.

Until I have the thing in my hand, i remain skeptical.

Permabanned
OP
FYI - the advertisement for the iPhone he has listed says that local bidders can come and collect to save on postage costs if they wish. Perhaps adding an element of validity to my winning auction??

Back
Top Bottom