Evo Tyre Test 2010

Caporegime
My subscribers copy dropped through the letterbox this morning, was very excited to read that this issue, they've done another tyre test.

However, i have to say i'm thoroughly disappointed and it appears evo have produced nothing more than an advert. Here are the tyres they tested:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050
Continental Contisportcontact 3
Hankook Ventus K12
Kumho Ecsta KU39
Michelin Pilot Exalto
Uniroyal Rainsport
Vredstein Ultrac Cento
Yokohama Advan Neova Ad08
Zeetex HP103

Basically a range of crap tyres that those wanting the best are going to overlook.

What about the Goodyear Eagle F1, Michelin Pilot Sport 3 ? Vredstein Sessanta etc.. ?

yes they tested them back in 2007, but we want to know how they fair up against this years tyres like the Pilot Sport 3

Look away now if you dont want to know the winner....

But its the Contisportcontact 3

but given the crap tyres it was put against its no surprise.

And this makes me wonder why they choose such a biased review. The answer probably lies with the location of the test....

The contidrom of course ....

Soldato
conti win at the contidrome. how many times have i said magazine reviews should be taken with a very large pile of salt at hand?

Man of Honour
Awesome, I have 4 CS3 being fitted tomorrow. First time conti have ever won so no idea what Matt is on about. Shame about the poor test selection :(

Caporegime
OP
thing that annoys me is they did it a the contidrome last year

and the sportcontacts came 3rd

This year the tyres that beat it, arent tested yet the conti sport 3s are tested again....

blatently they read the review last time and said if you want to do another you cant test those tyres again ....

Man of Honour
They have comment that Avon, Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli and Toyo declined the invite to take part in the test mainly because they are changing their ranges.

Yea, just reading the article now. I don't think there is any bias at all really - just that the usual suspects declined to supply tyres and as a result, the CS3 was the best of the remaining tyres tested.

So whilst I'm obviously pleased to see my latest full tyre set purchase validated by an Evo test victory I'm under no illusions - the F1 is probably still the better tyre.

Associate
I'm a masive evo fan, subscriber for almost eight years & I haven't read the article yet... but... very disapointing.

If what Dangerous Dave says is correct then that goes along way to explain the absense of decent tyres, but doesn't excuse it. What is the point in a 'half-a****' article that in the past has been hugely popular & received a lot of discussion across the online communities?

As much as it pains me to say, poor show evo, we expect the best from your fine publication, not a semi-effort.

Soldato
Why can't you just give me the price?
He got a discount

fivefingers.jpg

mjt

mjt

Soldato
For someone who likes to stick his nose into other peoples finances, why is he being so coy on the cost of four bits of rubber?

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think it was a biased test but they should have put more effort into it as it has always been a hot topic on car forums. They should have picked a better tyre size allowing them to test the highest performance tyres from each manufacturer and if the tyre manufacturers weren't prepared to supply a set they should have bought them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom