OCZ Vertex 2E 60GB Benchmark

Associate
- Maximum Read: 285MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 275MB/sec
- Sustained Write: 250MB/sec

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-047-OC

I wasn't expecting speeds to be exactly as stated above but I was hoping it would at least be close to the specs.
Do these two benchmarks look ok?

capturell.jpg

capture2jp.jpg

Associate
I hadn't done a benchmark on mine yet so I did one. My writes are even worse than yours!

asssdbenchoczvertex2220.png

What gives? No where near advertised. It's running in AHCI and using Intel RST drivers which were what was recommended on their forum D:

Mines only like 3 days old.

I did a second test and got just 48 MB/s on seq, what the F.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, after a quick skim on the OCZ forums, they get their read/write speeds from ATTO Disk Benchmark which is what they recommend to use :\

30nhsnq.jpg

Soldato
Thing is though, what IS the real performance. Does Windows and apps use the SSD like the slower benchmarks or do they use it like ATTO? Is ATTO just a benchmark that satisfy OCZ's figures??

Hmm worth pondering ;)

Associate
OP
Thing is though, what IS the real performance. Does Windows and apps use the SSD like the slower benchmarks or do they use it like ATTO? Is ATTO just a benchmark that satisfy OCZ's figures??

Hmm worth pondering ;)

Windows boot time I'll have to say is the same or maybe even a tad longer than my previous 2 7200rpm in RAID0 (barring POST time).
However launching applications is much faster, MS Word opens up more or less instant, Adobe PS, OrCAD and eclipse 2-3 seconds each.

To be honest I think I had too high expectations for SSD. Buying the SSD was an impulse purchase.
Do I notice any difference over my RAID0 HDD? - Yup
Can I live without SSD - yup

Associate
Real world performance depends on how compressible/compressed the data being written/read is. Highly compressible data (text etc) , like atto uses, does well, uncompressible data (mp3, jpeg etc) not so well.

Soldato
Sandforce controllers store data in compressed forms, meaning less data needs to be written. This means less write cycles are used, and the more the data is compressed, the faster it can be read from or written to NAND.
Atto = Best case compression. AS-SSD = Worst case compression. Real performance is somewhere in the middle.

Associate
Well as you will see if you read through the thread, that benchmarking utility is not good for benching this ssd. However I am still confused as to why I seem to have about half the seq write as you two in that test.

Associate
Oh, I did run the ATTO benchmark and got similar results to you two. Just confused why mine was much slower in AS and your two were almost exactly the same.

Back
Top Bottom