97/99 Ron Petrol?

Man of Honour
I believe it's only of benefit in cars which can avail of the higher octane content - usually high performance engines running high compression.

I used to have one of my old motocross bikes running such high compression I had to use Avgas in it but putting the Avgas into normal bikes yielded no performance advantage apart from maybe cooler running.

Soldato
There was a big thread about this a while back.

It depends entirely on the car you drive and as to whether it's mapped use the higher octane levels.

I use 99 Tesco over Shell as it seems to be cheaper in my area.. I very much doubt theres many advantages over each.

Associate
Japanese cars/owners never fail to amaze me on this subject.

Has Japan not heard of knock control? Or is it a case of internet scaremongering?

Japenese sports cars are mapped to run on 100+ ron fuel from factory so when they come over here and run on crappy 95 then problems arise.

Skylines have knock control on the standard ecu which retards timing if it detects it but detecting it means its already happened and if it keeps happening then the engine will fail.

So thats why everyone with jap turbo cars at least use 99 RON fuel unless they get there car mapped to run on 95 then they use that obviously losing some power at the same time.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Always ran my Clio on 95, never any problems. Yes the cap says 98, but the manual also says if 98 not available 95 is ok just you might suffer from some loss in performance, which I never felt.

Tried V Power (well it was Optimax then) for a couple of months, no difference.

Have used both in the Impreza and found no difference. Again it says use 97 RON, but in the manual it says 95 is fine and again you just might lose a bit of power. Not noticed it at all though.

Associate
Depends on which fuel you're getting. If it's something like Tesco Super Unleaded then there's no point unless your car can take advantage of the higher octane rating, but stuff such as Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate contain cleaning agents which can benefit any vehicle, regardless of their octane requirements.

Associate
I always use 99RON V-Power in my JDM MR2 Turbo as it is mapped for 100+ on the standard ECU still.

If i really can't get to a shell though I'll use Esso/BP 97RON.

Associate
You will only notice a difference on engines which can advance the ignition timing to take advantage of higher octane fuel (can combust at higher temperatures and pressures), normal fuel would case knock when the ignition is too advance, so these engines are typically fitted with knock sensors which the ECU has a feed to and advances timing untill knock is detected, then backs off a few degrees.

Or the other reason to use higher octane fuel is if you have had your engine ignition timing remapped on this fuel.

Back
Top Bottom