Project - Yet another 800D

Associate
Hi all, this will be my first build log, and I probably should have started this earlier to get help, but alas, the build hasnt begun, but I got the case on the 20th June (used but minter - was to big for the original owner and he replaced it after 4 months! and got it for a bargain - Cheers Roman!).

Now I wasnt exactly in the right frame of mind for a new build at the time the case came up, but it was to much to refuse so it all began.

So after much deliberation between AMD and Intel I was pretty much all set for a 965 and the Asus Crosshair IV (man that board looks pretty!). But then the night I got home from work and was going to order the parts, and email came through from ****.co.uk with a sweet deal on a 920. So that was set i7 was going to be it.

So the parts I have waiting to go in that are new, are:
Asus P6T Deluxe OC palm edition
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 16000C9 (2000MHz) Tri-Channel Kit
EK multi res 250
Thermochill PA140.3
Photo0721.jpg

The rest will be cannibalised from the rig Im running right now.
Powercolour 5870 flashed to ASUS BIOS with EK HD5870 full cover block
Swiftech MCP655V
EK supreme HF copper top
Antec 1000w True Power Quattro
Black Ice GT stealth 3x120

So Im still waiting on my grill to be made, but the PA140.3 is already mounted in the top and Im going to use my Black Ice GT stealth 3x120 aswell, which the holes have been cut ready for it to be mounted in the bottom.
To get the bottom rad mounted I had to cut quite abit from the front aswell to allow space for the PSU, which Im still not sure will fit mounted the right way up yet. Theres 20mm between the 2, so aslong as the cables plugs dont interfere it will be fine.

The fans for the 140.3 are Xigmatek's and the Blackice will use the Yateloons I already have.

So Im waiting on my Grill to be made and then Ill order some new tubing aswell.

But more pics, Sorry about the quality of some, I take some with my poorly tocco.
Heres the bottom with the 3x120 hole cut, Ill take another of it mounted when I do it again, it definetly fits as I drained my loop to check, but now its back on this current rig.

120hole.jpg

The 140.3 cut out.
140hole.jpg

I was going to add the lugs for each fan mounting, but it rolled down the original mountings of the stock top, so didnt bother, the grill will take the load just fine, and aslong as I got everything measured right, it will sit a treat.

Heres one with the 140.3 mounted, youll see one screw hole off, as the bloody tape lifted slightly when cutting, but again, Ill redrill it and you wont see it with the grill on.
140mounted.jpg

Bloody battery was dead in my cam at this point so its a blurry pic.

Any hints and tips at this stage? Also, Ill probably throw in a BigNG as Im sick of using the fan controller, I always forget to crank them up before launching a game.

The goal is obviously to hit atleast 4.0 and aiming for 4.4.

Associate
OP
Got a bunch of bits and bobs in today. But cheesed off though. Ordered 12 black button head allen bolts and received 8 button heads and 4 regular allen head bolts with a note saying they "only had 8 instock so 4 regular tops!!" Like they did me a deal or something... Fact is, those 4 are useless to me, why would I want mismatching bolts!

But alas, still havent got the grill! Im about ready to order a bitspower one, getting impatient.

Ive been toying with the idea of adding three 92mm fans in the bottom panel at the back
GEDC0001.jpg

C utting the panel for them wont be a problem. But the issue is I cant seem to find a decent solution for them.
Obviously with three fans their the bottom rad with then be exhausting the air to benefit from the 92mm fans air. This is great as it stops the warm air rising up itn othe motherboard area. But adds a negative flow of air to the PSU.
Switching the fan around in the PSU is easy as Ive already replaced the stock fan. So having it bring air in from the outside fixes that.

But then for air in the top chamber its left with the rear exhaust, which Im already going to have bringing air in rather than exhusting. Then theirs the draw of air the 3x140's will make drawing out of of the case through the rad...

Though, as I type this, I may have had a eureka. Have those three top fans pulling into the case, the rear top pulling in. the the three 92mm bringing in at the bottom. reverse the PSU fan, having only the botom 3x120 exhuasting would surely be a great option. ahh, but then of course the top rads hot air is going all over the board.
Pah.

So back to having the bottom rad drawing air in, top rad exhausting.

Though Ive gotten around to tapping the PA140.3 screw holes to M4 and got the top mounted in, just waiting on that pesky grill. But dont the bolts look sex?

GEDC0006.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

Soldato
Personally I'd tidy the hole up for the 140.3, just looks a bit rough round the edges IMO.

In that pic it looks like the edges aren't straight either? Not a massive criticism, just spoils it if you ask me. :(

Associate
OP
I agree, I used a 6" F1 cutting disc on an angle grinder for one side, but it squared the blade off quite quick. The Dremel actually cut a lot better, and that did the second side.
But if you look at the pic, youll see a barrel affect, which youll notice on the outside edge of the case aswell. Its an affect the lens of my camera adds to the pic :/

But, Im gonna say this for maybe the 4th - 5th time. Im waiting on a grill to be made to fit the large rad, this will cover the entire hole by quite a bit. You wont see the cut out at all - why I wasnt worried about the cut to much The reason the rad is mounted is because Im just getting a fair few things in so I can plan tube management.

Just to make it clear, heres a mock up of the grill Im waiting on:
1403grill.jpg

Just ordered another £45 of fittings too. Why do they always cost more than planned lol.

Associate
OP
Also, cut out the grill on the back fan port to improve airflow

GEDC0431.jpg

And cut the hole for the fillport, which hasnt been delivered yet.

GEDC0428.jpg

GEDC0429.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Very interesting mate and subscribed

Just a quick one - you know that you will probably have to have the fans between the rad and the roof / grille due to the grille mounting screws?

Can't wait for more updates :)

Associate
OP
hmm, you think so? I reckon Ill be fine with 5mm screws. The screws that are holding it in now arent hitting the rad and they go into the fan mounting holes. Please explain more, if you think Im wrong, maybe Im not understanding you.

Thanks for the subscribe.

Last edited:
Soldato
No probs on the subscribe - looks like this is gonna be good.

Im almost certain on the bolts though mate as I have just installed virtually, if not the same, rad grill (although admittedly a 120.3) and the bots fould the rad and the fans have to go between.

If your screwing the fans in and not using the "outer" holes to hold the grille in place then possibly not, but the grille is usually held in place by bolts (See pic below) and these then protrude and stop the rad sitting flush with the underside of the case, but are fine if you install the fans between the rad and the roof / grille.

thirteendrives.jpg

My project log is HERE if you want to take a look

Cant wait to see more though :D

Associate
OP
Ill check your link out in a mo, but I understand what your saying now. I had thought about that when I went for the cut. The rad it self is give or take a mm, 142mm wide. The rad if made to spec will be 482x165mm, now that makes it just 1mm longer each end, but 11mm along the edges, so I think Im fine.
Though if not, I was going to tap the case for those four screws anyway, so my immediate thought is to cut the bolts down to like 3mm or something so it bites but doesnt protrude.

Thanks for the tip mate!

Associate
OP
Finally, some news on the grill:

Tom said:
yep they are at the anodisers as of tomorrow, so they should be back next week I hope at worst.

Thanks
Tom

Should hear about the Powder coating on Saturday too. Then its just time to decide on what tubing to go for and get it all done.

Associate
OP
Thanks, also managed to source out some m4 6mm button head allen bolts. Took quite a bit of searching as no one does them in black, just silver. Managed to find a tattooist selling them as bolts for tattoo guns. They look slick though.

Back
Top Bottom