Did anyone have a paper round?

Did any of you do this when you were a teenager? Any weird or wonderful things to remember from it? How much did you get paid? What newspaper demographic was it? I was lucky enough to deliver on my own street. The round consisted of about 20 houses, 6 days Mon-Sat starting in 1995, and I got paid £7 per week :D My street's demographic was mainly The Sun and The Daily Mirror, and there was always that 1 dodgy guy who had the Daily Star :p

In my first Christmas doing the paper round, I had about £10 in tips. In the following year, I slipped a Christmas card through each letter box, and it brought my tips up to £35! Oh, and because I delivered on my own street, I also had to deliver to my parents' house! They had The Times and The Independent back when they used to be broadsheets.

Associate
I used to do about 150 houses round my area, probably just a few minutes walk away. Never got tipped at all. I did find some keys in a car door once... Rang the doorbell and gave the guy his keys and he gave me £10 :D

I also found a prawn mag in a bush once... I was 14... And it was nice :p

EDIT: Also got about £15 for doing it, once a week.

Soldato
I did one round got something like £14 for it and dry blisters on my hand from the trolley. Thought it was slave labour and didn't do it again. Was one of the free local papers.

Soldato
had an evening one and a sunday one. sunday one was gruelling, bag must've weighted 30kg and the evening one included me going down an old beaten track meaning i would get covered in mud. got £9 for both

Soldato
I used to do one from 13 to 15. Waking up every morning at 6, except weekends because then I could sleep in until 6:30. My route consisted of about 20 houses, all over the town so my route usually took 30 minutes to complete by cycling, except on weekends when it went up to 30 houses and it took at least 2 trips to deliver the papers due to how big they were and that took upto an hour. Got paid £12 a week.

Associate
Just about to quit mine, ~180 copies of the free paper a week. Have to put advertising leaflets in them, money depends on how many leaflets, usually about £8-£12 a week.

Consigliere
Used to do a paperound for a year and a bit. £15 a week for doing 25 houses or so. The area i did the paperound in was quite a wealthy area so Xmas time was pretty good - £100 in total for Xmas. :)

Just about to quit mine, ~180 copies of the free paper a week. Have to put advertising leaflets in them, money depends on how many leaflets, usually about £8-£12 a week.

:eek:

I would have quit much earlier...that's awful.

Soldato
i had one from around the age of 14-16 (around 2000 to 2002) and i got about £15 a week. Saved up like a good few hundred quid to buy a PS2. was totally worth it. took like half a year lol

luckily my round was fairly light, a guy in my year at school had to sometimes go back on sundays due to the stupid size of some papers >_<

Soldato
Had one when i was 12-14 - got paid a massive £5 a week, mind it only took me about 20minutes via bike, mainly delivered the Daily Mail.
Found a few random things on my travels - 2 silver Parker pens in a pouch and a riley snooker cue are two that springs to mind.

Soldato
Used to do when I was 13 after school. 243 Houses all on hills so had to keep going up and down. For two days a week work I earned £42 total at the end of the month.

This was in Norway though :)

Associate
The first time I did a paper round I was about 8 and helping an older friend. Somehow I managed to slice a deep cut in the side of my lip by taking a shortcut across someones garden and there was a piece of rusty wire going across the garden like a fence. Second time I did a paper round for a few weeks aged about 12 - It was quite a big round and It was taking me ages to get round on my Bmx so I quit (can't remember how much it payed but not a lot). To be honest I made more money washing cars for people on Saturdays than I did doing paper round.

Soldato
Do the majority of people who get papers pay their bill with the newsagents weekly?

:confused: You type that right? Do you mean an extra £8-£12 for the flyers, or your total round?? That's shockingly bad even for early 90's. Quit now your getting taken for a mug.

Soldato
I used to do two rounds, one was 60-70 houses and very spread out over the town, the other was a single drop off of around 250 papers (4 paper bags full!) which was quite a way out of town and up a long steep hill :S I used to get £6.90 for the houses a week and £8.10 a week for the big drop, I also used to do a Milk Round after school which used to get me £15 a week, not bad cash for a teenager when 10 Ciggies were only 36½p a Pack (Used to buy 10's as they were easier to hide LOL!)

Soldato
Used to do 200 papers, along with anywhere from 1-7 leaflets per. Pay per week depended on what leaflets came, varied between about £5 and £15 per week. Was a massive ballache tbh.

edit: mine sounds like tgomas's. bad pay, had to put leaflets in myself and then take 200 papers round. needed the money though...

Back
Top Bottom