guide for OCing 1055t? havent been an AMD boy since 939

Associate
been intel since then. now on an asrock mobo and want to see what the safe type of OC is - as in no/minimal voltage increase? i'm on stock cooling basically and when i ran 6 threads of prime95 last night for an hour it hit 45C.

is it still the same old rules of try not to go above 60C or so?

HeX

HeX

Soldato
You can go over 1.4V easy, 1.5V is fine. Keeping it cool under 62C is going to be your problem.

Especially on stock cooling. You will also want to test with IBT/LinX as well as Prime. :)

Associate
mines running at 3.5ghz and ive not touched the voltage on mine at all.

***Ignore the temps on the right, this was in my old case with terrible airflow***

tempsc.jpg

A simple change on the FSB to 250 and lowering the multiplier on the NB and RAM to keep it withing its proper operating limits.

BTW my temps now haven't gone over 48C whilst gaming in a warm room, all from a change in case - amazing what simple things do eh :p

NOTE - I believe my volts are set to auto on my MB and I remember HWmonitor reporting it goes to 1.32v during gaming.
NOTE 2 - Disable the turbo core feature as it gets in the way when overclocking :)

Associate
Am I the only person that doesn't see how running a cpu at 70c will do it any damage? My friends laptop frequently got so hot that it started throttling it's self. Had been like that for years and it never died. Cleaned out the dust and it was fine again. Even if it hits temps like that running prime it's not gonna get that hot from every day use.

I think people are too paranoid about this stuff. Come on guys, live life on the edge a bit!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
older process nodes i think are more capaable of handling excess heat. heat and voltage affect xtors more the smaller the process node - at least afaik

Associate
OP
mines running at 3.5ghz and ive not touched the voltage on mine at all.

***Ignore the temps on the right, this was in my old case with terrible airflow***

A simple change on the FSB to 250 and lowering the multiplier on the NB and RAM to keep it withing its proper operating limits.

BTW my temps now haven't gone over 48C whilst gaming in a warm room, all from a change in case - amazing what simple things do eh :p

NOTE - I believe my volts are set to auto on my MB and I remember HWmonitor reporting it goes to 1.32v during gaming.
NOTE 2 - Disable the turbo core feature as it gets in the way when overclocking :)

ta :)

i figured that if you don't change the vcore, then the temps should go up a notch since yuo're stressing the chip more, but not by much

p.s, is there a guide to this for these newer chips?

i remember an excellent guide for the DFI mobos way back when on dfi-street which explained every settings and got me overclocking the nuts off my old 3800+ X2

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Am I the only person that doesn't see how running a cpu at 70c will do it any damage? My friends laptop frequently got so hot that it started throttling it's self. Had been like that for years and it never died. Cleaned out the dust and it was fine again. Even if it hits temps like that running prime it's not gonna get that hot from every day use.

I think people are too paranoid about this stuff. Come on guys, live life on the edge a bit!

All CPU's have different thermal limits.

AMD say the thermal limit for these CPU's are 62C. No doubt they can handle a bit more than that as AMD wouldn't set the limit on the cusp of death, but still if the CPU manufacturer is saying past that temp is pushing it you really don't want to be going far past that limit.

Associate
OP
anyhoo,

is there a good guide for mobo settings on AM3 boards? in the past, i never touched NB voltages, and tried not to touch my memory speeds/voltage either.

Associate
Hi guys,
i dont know if this forum prefers posting in an old thread or starting a new one as i couldn't find any forum rules,
but i thought this would be the better choice,

iv just finished building my new system and am wanting to OC the processor to 3.6ghz without turbo, but im having problems.

Specs:
CPU: 1055t 125w
Mobo: ga-870a-ud3 (with latest bios)
Ram: 8gb corsair 1333mhz, timings 9-9-9-24
Titan Fenrir Cooler.

now my problem is that im able to set my CPU Frequency to 230,
which gives me 3.2ghz and is stable with turbo boost on, which basically sets the cpu to a 1090t's speeds.
plus the temperatures dont break 51 degrees in primes small FFT test (its a new build and i need to work on the airflow a bit).

however i cant seem to push it any higher,
if i set the frequency to 235, with voltages still on auto, then the system tries to load windows and before the splash reboots.
if i set it to 240 then i simply get two long beeps at post and the system loads on the backup bios.

of course all through these clocks im reducing the multipliers of the ram and hypertransport to keep them within safe standards.
and turboboost is of course switched off while pushing up these clocks.

i have tried simply replicating other peoples clocks including their voltages,
however it has no effect what-so-ever.

i havnt done over-clocking before this,
but while researching over the last few months everyone is raving about how the 1055t will hit 4ghz effortlessly in most cases, and i cant see a low binning affecting me by 800mhz.

Cheers for any help youve got!
Nick

Soldato
Mine with Gigabyte 890 board, see sig.

FSB to 250 multi x14 gives 3500MHz at 1.325V (1.26V in cpu-z)

Memory OCZ 12800 Gold 6.66 x 250 gives 1666MHz at 1.62V 9-9-9-20

HT = 8 x 250 = 2000MHz stock

No other voltage changes

Temps at idle 36C (CPU fan off), under prime95 blend 48C max.

left cool and quiet on

andy.

Back
Top Bottom