Assigning keyboard keys to Windows master volume?

Soldato
Is it possible to assign keyboard keys to raise and lower the volume in Windows? I have some Goldring DR50 headphones which are great but have no inline volume control...

What I want to do is assign the + and - keys on the numberpad to control the volume in game. Is it possible?

Soldato
Never tried that TBH, although I have been tempted in the past to find out if it were possible. If it isn't possible, then you can buy a headphone extension with volume control from a well known electronics retailer beginning with M.

Soldato
Just get a keyboard that has multimedia keys? I have a Logitech keyboard here that can control the master volume, mute it and skip tracks in media player etc. Worth every penny. Not that expensive either.

Soldato
OP
I know, I have one, but I love my keyboard :) I even have two more of the same type for when this goes kaput. They're just so nice and "clacky" to type on :)

dell.bmp

Dell RT7D50

Soldato
Use keybreeze, its free download, small and quick and easy to install, and it has hundreds of presets already built in including binding volume up and down to any button you want in the keyboard and you can do this from in-game, I've used this program for years.

Soldato
OP
Success!

I found a program which allows any key to be mapped to any other key type using the Windows registry. Once it has written the bindings you need the program doesn't even need to be loaded anymore. It's called SharpKeys (http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/) and is absolutly brilliant. I can see this coming in handy in the future

sharpkeysimg.PNG

I've mapped the numpad + and - keys to volume up and down and the numpad * key to mute. Perfect :)

Use keybreeze, its free download, small and quick and easy to install, and it has hundreds of presets already built in including binding volume up and down to any button you want in the keyboard and you can do this from in-game, I've used this program for years.

Couldn't get it to work for me. I'm using Windows 7 64bit, maybe why

Back
Top Bottom