Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Hardware > Monitors

Old 27th Oct 2010, 00:46   #31
crackerbear
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Hang on, that's the VW2420. What's the difference?
The outer bezel and aesthetics are different, but the actual panels used are exactly the same so image/picture quality also the same. The VW2420 is thinner, it uses an external power supply brick and it also has 1 less HDMI port. I'm not sure if there are any other major differences, but from what I can tell it's worse, feature wise.
Last edited by crackerbear; 27th Oct 2010 at 00:49.
crackerbear is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 01:06   #32
bigjimmyauk
Soldato

really thinking you'd need to try b4 you buy with this monitor.

i'm gonna ring that guy up i spoke to this afternoon and see if i can arrange a trial or return it if i don't like it.

*ASUS X99 DELUXE* *5820K@4.4* *MSI 6G 980TI*
*16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE* *1000WATT EVGA P2*
*PHANTEKS ENTHOO PRIMO DELUXE*
*850EVO'S*
bigjimmyauk is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 01:11   #33
crackerbear
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimmyauk View Post
really thinking you'd need to try b4 you buy with this monitor.

i'm gonna ring that guy up i spoke to this afternoon and see if i can arrange a trial or return it if i don't like it.
That sounds like your best bet.

The responsiveness (as well as everything else on monitors) seems to be highly subjective, so whilst some may find it nauseating, others are totally fine with it - hence why there's a lot of conflicting reviews out there.

Personally, I'm going to trust PCM2 and give the BenQ models a skip as I mainly want a fast monitor.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 07:20   #34
PCM2
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrash View Post
You might want to flick through the images here - my Chinese is a bit rusty and of course we don't know how these particular monitors have been set up, but there seems enough evidence to suggest that the Dell spanks it for colour reproduction (check out pages 6 and 7 in particular). Also, the Dell's viewing angles seem in a different league if that's important to you.
Ignore those pictures - complete and utter load of rubbish. First off what you see there is the colours that the camera sees followed by what your own monitor produces. Secondly it makes the VW they are testing look washed out. since I have used both the U2211 and EW2420 very recently I am more reliable than some Chinese website and can tell you from the images they clearly have the brightness at default (too high) and contrast at default (too low) on the BenQ which washes out the image. If I set the EW2420 back to default then even the Dell looks anaemic on the pictures. If I set the EW2420 to my preferred settings the distinction is huge - alarm bells should be ringing.

And somebody asked about movies... I will test them shortly but haven't got round to it yet.

OLED and QLED - the future of monitors @ pcmonitors.info
Last edited by PCM2; 27th Oct 2010 at 07:57.
PCM2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 08:53   #35
CaptainCrash
Wise Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post
Ignore those pictures - complete and utter load of rubbish.
Fair enough.

How does your sample cope with this image? (you might want to blow it up to full screen) Is the text clearly discernible from directly head-on, and if not, does adjusting the gamma so that it *is* visible mess the image up in other ways? Do you need to go far off-perpendicular in the horizontal plane before there's a dramatic difference?

I'm not asking the questions very well, but I guess you know what I'm getting at.
CaptainCrash is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 09:02   #36
PCM2
Soldato

Well it's still a *VA panel and as such it does still show some degree of gamma shift. As with the lagom 'black level' test some very dark shades of grey do blend into the black more if you are perpendicular to the image. The text is still readable at any angle but certainly more distinct if you aren't directly perpendicular to it. The detail in shaded areas in games, though, is absolutely fine (much more so than other VA panels I've used). I will test movies later today to see if the same can be said.

Edit: If you shift the gamma from the default 2.2 to 2.0 in the OSD the text comes even easier to distinguish (the shift is still there but less pronounced). It does make the overall image a tad warmer but this can easily be compensated for by adjusting the colour balance.

Last edited by PCM2; 27th Oct 2010 at 09:09.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 10:09   #37
PCM2
Soldato

Right I've just tested two very different films. The first was the latest Futurama film (Into the Wild Green Yonder). It was absolutely fantastic to watch on this monitor. I won't go into too much depth as I don't want to spoil the review but the colours and contrast was just outstanding throughout. The second film was a bit more gritty and had plenty of dark scenes - it was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am pleased to say that the 'black crush' problems that often plague such panels didn't rear their ugly heads on this title. Distinct details such as creases in clothes could still be seen in dark areas - what's more this is one of the very few monitors that can distinguish between the dark brown of the main characters eyes and the blacks of her pupils in some scenes.

Trailing was no more noticeable on either title than on most TN panels tested under the same conditions. I'm going to try to test some different genres of games (flight simulators and perhaps some RTS games).

Old 27th Oct 2010, 10:20   #38
crackerbear
Hitman

It certainly does sound like a very good monitor for watching movies.

Do you own Left 4 Dead 1 or 2 by any chance? It's probably the game I play most currently and wondered what the ghosting/smoke trail was like in that game since it's generally quite dark, but has some bright bits on certain maps.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 10:55   #39
PCM2
Soldato

I'm afraid not. I would grab the demo and test it for you but they don't seem to have it. I'll test the Resident Evil 5 demo as I think that's the most similar title I can manage at the moment.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 10:59   #40
Trifid
Sgarrista

You are definitely not putting me off this monitor. I spend most of my time browsing internet and watching TV and films in the background and play games very rarely. I do fancy playing a few matches of CS:S right now though.

Trifid is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 11:03   #41
crackerbear
Hitman

Quote:
I'm afraid not. I would grab the demo and test it for you but they don't seem to have it. I'll test the Resident Evil 5 demo as I think that's the most similar title I can manage at the moment.
Ah that's a shame. I think another FPS game would be more representative of what it'd be like, but you've already covered that with Bad Company 2.

I still wouldn't mind knowing what RE5 is like on it though
Old 27th Oct 2010, 11:49   #42
PCM2
Soldato

Well I have tested the Resident Evil 5 benchmark. It did make me feel a bit dizzy - but I think that has more to the fact that it's a rolling demo and I wasn't in control of the action. The trailing didn't seem to bad and not really all that different to most TN panels I've tested it on. Red Alert 3 - likewise. I think the EW2420 is a fine monitor for RTS games. There is a fair bit of blur when you scroll quickly but that is very commonly experienced on any LCD monitor.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:05   #43
crackerbear
Hitman

Hmmm you've put me in a quandary. I was pretty much set to buy a P2450H in light of your previous comments on Bad Company 2, but now I'm not so sure.

I play all sorts of games, but it's probably FPS's that matter the most. Whilst I want the fast response rate, I also want good colours and contrast for movies. Dammit, I want an OLED screen.
Last edited by crackerbear; 27th Oct 2010 at 12:09.
Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:20   #44
PCM2
Soldato

I am having the same mental tussle myself. It is only to replace an aging Samsung 2032BW on my downstairs PC. I usually use whatever monitor I'm reviewing or a reference monitor on my primary PC. Bad Company 2 made me feel a bit dizzy but I don't often play that on my PC downstairs. Just like to have the option to do so. Haha

Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:23   #45
Legend
Mobster

Would you say that at under £200, the EW2420 is the ideal compromise for graphics and games use? It's a toss up between this and the Samsung for me, but from everything you've said about the colour reproduction and the contrast, it seems the Benq would be the better option. Would you agree?
Legend is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 12:43   #46
PCM2
Soldato

Yes I do agree. It is an exceptional monitor for the price for that kind of use.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 13:04   #47
crackerbear
Hitman

PCM2, can you see any monitor coming out in the next few months (say till February) that will better either the Samsung B2430H/P2450H or the BenQ in the £170 price range?

I'm wondering whether to buy now or just wait a while. I'm not sure how prices will fluctuate either, i.e. how big of a price difference will there be between buying now of next February?
Old 27th Oct 2010, 13:05   #48
THE DOC
Hitman

ah i held off for ten days for this screen to be the bees

now im stuck [my 2407 is dead]

and i need a new screen bad [im stuck with a 15 inch tft]

im not sure i can afford a new dell

its only really for games and the net

HELP
THE DOC is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 13:16   #49
PCM2
Soldato

What kind of games?

Old 27th Oct 2010, 13:20   #50
THE DOC
Hitman

Quote:
What kind of games?
mostly rts and [jees] fps black ops on the way looks amazing

and i got medal of honour here and i cant play it on my crap screen
Old 27th Oct 2010, 13:55   #51
PCM2
Soldato

Maybe it would solve the mental dilema if you went for something significantly cheaper, a little smaller but still good like the B2230N. It's still a great monitor (yes - it's a TN panel but that has its advantages as well), would be more suitable for CoD and MOH gaming and costs under £120 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...id=949&subcat=.

And don't worry about the VGA input - read the FX2490HD review on my website if you need convincing.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:02   #52
THE DOC
Hitman

thanks ill go read it
i really wanted to stay with 24 if its possible
is this good for gamers

BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monito
Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:12   #53
PCM2
Soldato

If you want to stick with 24 inches and don't think you'll be soured by spending that amount of money (i.e. the same as the EW2420 costs) then I'd go for the B2430L. It's the 24 inch version of the monitor I suggested before and includes DVI inputs. The build quality and image quality is better than the BenQ G2420HDBL. The HDBL is partly the reason I'm so pleasantly surprised by a lot of what the EW2420 offers.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:16   #54
crackerbear
Hitman

Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you know any of the answers I posed above in my previous post?

I know it's a bit like asking you to predict the future, but you have a much broader sense of the monitor market than I will ever have, so would value your opinion
Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:20   #55
YesSirICanBogey
Associate

Shame

Lian Li PC-Q08B | Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX | Intel® Core™ i5-760 | 450W Silverstone Tech. Strider PSU | 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 | 1GB Palit GTX 460 Sonic | 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint SATAII
YesSirICanBogey is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:21   #56
THE DOC
Hitman

ok and a couple of questions
the difference between the b2430h is slightly bigger screen and hdmi connection is that right

and how would it affect me for playing games compaired to my old dell 2407
as in quality the angles is not a problem i sit right in front of my screen
Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:29   #57
PCM2
Soldato

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerbear View Post
Sorry to be a nuisance, but do you know any of the answers I posed above in my previous post?

I know it's a bit like asking you to predict the future, but you have a much broader sense of the monitor market than I will ever have, so would value your opinion
I'm not aware of any. The only ones to look out for that I know of are LG's upcoming LED-backlit IPS monitors due out in Q1 next year. They are very unlikely to be in the same price range though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOC View Post
ok and a couple of questions
the difference between the b2430h is slightly bigger screen and hdmi connection is that right

and how would it affect me for playing games compaired to my old dell 2407
as in quality the angles is not a problem i sit right in front of my screen
I don't think the 'L' does have a smaller screen it's just a blip in Samsung's specifications. The actual monitor has exactly the same dimensions so I don't see the screen being 0.4" smaller on the 'L'. I think the HDMI input is the only real difference.

TN panels display what I refer to as 'colour shifting' - that is to say that even if you are sit directly infront of it a given colour will appear quite different depending on its position on the screen. In games the actual shift is not usually noticed but it does cause shade-crossover and you lose subtle distinctions between colours. Whether or not this is important to you is subjective - for me I can live with it but I much prefer higher quality panels for lack of this problem.

Old 27th Oct 2010, 14:35   #58
crackerbear
Hitman

Quote:
I'm not aware of any. The only ones to look out for that I know of are LG's upcoming LED-backlit IPS monitors due out in Q1 next year. They are very unlikely to be in the same price range though.
Right, in which case I'm probably going to jump the gun and buy a Samsung then.

Thanks for all your input and advice!
Old 27th Oct 2010, 15:27   #59
THE DOC
Hitman

TN panels display what I refer to as 'colour shifting' - that is to say that even if you are sit directly infront of it a given colour will appear quite different depending on its position on the screen. In games the actual shift is not usually noticed but it does cause shade-crossover and you lose subtle distinctions between colours. Whether or not this is important to you is subjective - for me I can live with it but I much prefer higher quality panels for lack of this problem.

as you refer to the colour being the most troublesome

what about sharpness and contrast compaired to the 2407

and i remember you saying something about the lag in games on the 2407,i didnt notice anything but then i never really looked for it
Old 27th Oct 2010, 16:05   #60
PCM2
Soldato

This is the 2407WFP right? It has an S-PVA panel. I don't mean to backtrack but if you don't take any issues with the responsiveness of the 2407WFP then the EW2420 should be just fine too!