Router performance on FTTC

Soldato
My FTTC (with Enta) was installed on Monday :D

The first thing anyone does is find out how fast their connection is, so I've run a few tests. All are from the same PC (an HP Elitebook 8440p with a Core i7 etc etc on a CAT5 cable).

BT Speedtester reports the IP Profile as 34.1Mbps down / 10Mbps up :cool: As the crow-flies, I'm about 300m from the FTTC cabinet, probably 500m following the road. Expected speed was 16.6Mbps / 7.9Mbps, so the checker is as conservative as ever.

Direct into the VDSL modem:

Through a brand-new Zyxel NBG-460N I've borrowed from work:

I had to chuckle at Zyxel sticking a Gigabit WAN port on it.

My rather old (at least 5 years) but trusty SonicWall TZ150:

Will see what others routers I can find to test but I can see FTTC/P causing a few headaches when it shows a lot of routers aren't up to the job.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Very nice.

I'm glad you went with a decent ISP and NOT BT Infinity.

The Draytek Vigor 2130n is definitely capable of handling 40Mb/s WAN. Check out ALIX with PfSense if you're hardcore. :)

Soldato
OP
I work for an Enta reseller, so straight forward to move to FTTC.

ALIX / PfSense looks like an interesting little project, though I want the router to do wireless (can't be bothered with loads of boxes at home anymore).

I've grabbed a SonicWall TZ200 for testing next and if I can bothered to take it out of our test rack, I can try a Cisco 2651XM.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Cool. The ALIX can do wireless (802.11g only at the moment). It's just a case of slotting the WiFi card in the mobo and connecting the antenna.

The only other box you'll need is a gigabit switch unless you go for something like the Draytek.

Last edited:
Associate
Did you try different servers on speedtest.net? For me Birmingham isn't very consistent and doesn't reflect the actual throughput I can receive.

1028007507.png

I get much more accurate results with Maidenhead, London or Manchester.

1028006624.png

Soldato
OP
Ah, I actually live near Crewe now. I've never got round to updating my profile. :rolleyes:

I work for an Enta reseller, so it's £22.25+VAT per month for a Business 45 account. Setup was £47+VAT (had an option of 40/2Mbps for £35+VAT).

I've tried a few other Speedtest.net servers but didn't see anything hugely different from Birmingham.

Next up for testing is NetGear WNR1000 - pretty cheap but thought I'd test it whilst it's kicking about in the office.

Associate
Ah, I actually live near Crewe now. I've never got round to updating my profile. :rolleyes:

I work for an Enta reseller, so it's £22.25+VAT per month for a Business 45 account. Setup was £47+VAT (had an option of 40/2Mbps for £35+VAT).

I've tried a few other Speedtest.net servers but didn't see anything hugely different from Birmingham.

Next up for testing is NetGear WNR1000 - pretty cheap but thought I'd test it whilst it's kicking about in the office.

Aww shame :) Back to the waiting game!

Soldato
OP
So, tonight's test is a brand-new WNR1000

Not bad for a £30 router, better than the twice-the-price Zyxel (though it's only B/G WiFi and 10/100 Ethernet)

For a reference point for tonight, another one from my TZ150:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
@#Chri5# - you should use something like smokeping and post the results so we can see what happens when the off-peak period kicks in. :)

Back
Top Bottom