• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Palit sonic 580 GTX recalled.

Soldato
Just got home to find an answerphone message from a competitor telling me that "due to a manafacturers recall my new Palit sonic 580 GTX won't be delivered today, and I have been refunded" :eek:

Looks like Palit have ballsed it right up again, first with the 460 GTX vrm heatsink fiasco and now selling GTX 580s with unstable overclocks, don't think I'll be buying Palit again tbh.

Associate
I did get suspicious when a couple of threads popped up here involving their cards, thought they may have screwed the cooling like forgetting to put all the thermal pads on the memory or something :p

Soldato
I would have bought 2 of them sonics only for OCUK got the summary description wrong on the GTX 580 page and listed both Palits at the same speed. Didn't bother clicking into it to see that it was an overclocked card. So I went for the EVGA's instead. Then when I discovered they were the overclocked jobs, I rang OCUK to change my order but couldn't get through. So 2 lucky saves for me :D Sorry to hear about anyone who got a potentially duff card.

Caporegime
i would never buy palit after the 460 fiasco you just cant trust them not to skimp..

wasnt the vrm heatsink only worth a few pence?

Associate
Im concerned because as i just questioned on the other post, i have just got a palit gtx580 sonic. Dropped it in & idling 38-40C, my room is nice & cold, but im hitting temps as high as 89C during vantage, heaven, sf4 bench etc.

Im seeing reviews only hitting like high 70s & low 80s, yet im in a a really cool room seeing 89C. During summer with room temps a good 10C hotter theres no way this would stay under 95C threshold imo.

EDIT: Tried running crysis benchmark but that crashed out twice now despite having so not so high temps.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am surprised they recalled the cards when a simple BIOS update would most likely resolve the issues. An extra 0.1v should make them all stable at 835core

Associate
Well im getting weird issues. My temps seem to be improving, now idling 33C! And when i tried to run crysis & farcry 2 bench marks i think they were going to the 70s but like i said, they crashed out with display error. May try run vantage again to see what temps i get. Then might try drop clocks to 800mhz to see what happens. Not best pleased.

EDIT: Nah, vantage still hitting 87C, thats crap. Card doesnt seem cooled well enough or stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom