mac teamviewer > linux > virtualbox > ctrl-r

Associate
hi,

so i'm using my macbook pro to remote control my ubuntu server at home using team viewer. it works really well, however i've hit a problem.

on ubuntu i am using virtualbox and i have a vyatta vm running. i've clicked into the vyatta vm and now my mouse and keyboard and 'trapped'.

inside virtualbox on ubuntu it is mapped to use right-ctrl as the 'host' key which is used to break out of sessions if the virtualbox additions aren't present.

so, any ideas how i can send right-ctrl from my mac, across team viewer, into ubuntu running on my server?

thanks in advance, andy.

Soldato
Will on screen keyboard work?

System Preferences > Language & Text > Input Sources > check the 'Show Input menu in menu bar' checkbox.
Click the new icon in the top right and select 'Show Keyboard viewer' and in the bottom left you will see a ^ button; right control :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@SiriusB - thanks, but vyatta is a lightweight linux distro that performs router/firewall/utm type duties - the virtual box additions aren't compatible, i dont think.

@knowledge123 - the only onscreen keyboard i seemed to be able to access was the same mac one as my physical one, so no right-ctrl there either :( thanks though!

turns out it's not just a right-ctrl button that's 'missing', but that when using vm's on the host ubuntu box the only keys that actually work are the letter and numbers - nothing else works.

managed to get around the right-ctrl by just closing the teamviewer session and re-establishing it to get out of the vyatta session.

managed to get around typing ip addresses into vyatta by configuring my virgin router to hand out the right ip's via dhcp reservations to the outside interfaces, and then ssh'ing into vyatta from ubuntu to finish off the rest of the configuration.

managed to get around windows (ip addresses, secure passwords, etc) using the on-screen keyboard within windows.

so - mac > teamviewer > ubuntu = win. mac > teamviewer > ubuntu > virtualbox vm's = doesn't win! i even tried running windows on virtualbox vm on mac > teamviewer > ubuntu > virtualbox vm's but that didn't work either!

major faff, but i got done what i needed to in the end, just took a lot longer than i had hoped! and now my brain hurts!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
this wont be something i do on a regular basis, trust me! that said, once the routers are setup, using the on-screen keyboard on windows is hardly the end of the world!

Back
Top Bottom