• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1055t going down to x4

Associate
Hi everyone, my brother recently got a 1055t 95w edition and when we were overclocking it and running linx and prime the other day every time it went above 48c it would drop the multiplier down to 4x.

his motherboard is a ASUS M4A78LT-M LE and its a real hunk of crap. We triple checked that all power saving were off and the cpu turbo mode won't even turn off in the bios you have to go into AMD Overdrive to disable it everytime you boot up.

According to AMDs site the safe temperatures for the 1055t 95w version is 72c so why would it drop the multiplier and the voltage when it reaches 48c? Am I missing something in the BIOS?

He's getting a new motherboard soon anyway, do you think the problem will be solved with a higher quality motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
could be the motherboard VRM's over heating.

looking at the picture on asus site theres no heatsink on the VRM's. also i'm guessing it's only 4+2 phase VRM

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The cool and quiet was quite buggy before but we did update the bios. I'm not actually sure if it fixed it though lol.

I'll tell him to put a fan over the VRMs to see if that helps, when he gets back from work. Thanks for the help.

Core temp is wrong on Phenom II's.
More so with Thuban's.

It could be in reality about... 70c+ under load.

:eek: really?

Associate
OP
hwmonitor wasn't reading the temperatures for some reason on his PC :confused:

We were using AMD Overdrive to check the temps. We were looking at the CPU temp rather than the core temps. Would this still be a wrong reading?

Soldato
hwmonitor wasn't reading the temperatures for some reason on his PC :confused:

We were using AMD Overdrive to check the temps. We were looking at the CPU temp rather than the core temps. Would this still be a wrong reading?
if your looking at the CPU temp then thats fine.

u could try EVEREST Ultimate Edition...

always monitor the CPU temp not core temp.

Last edited:
Soldato
CoreTemp is fine for Thuban - you just need to apply a 22*C offset for it to read right.

It's closer to 14*C for me, but I find it doesn't scale perfectly. for example when the CPU temp is 42*C it's the same give or take 1*C. But when the CPU drops to 32*C CoreTemp with the offset can still read 36*C. It eventually seems to level out but it seems based on the Core Temp rather than CPU temp which don't always seem to change by exactly the same *C.

In my limited experience anyway.
I only use CoreTemp to see the load % and the core speed/multiplier (since I have Cool 'n' Quiet on).

Associate
What are you comparing the CoreTemp readings to? Ie what software is telling you it's 42C? I think that is probably the socket temp if that was a load reading. The actual CPU temp is going to be about 6-8C than warmer than the socket temp.

Associate
Yeah - PhenomII doesn't have individual core temp sensors like Intel parts do. It has an overall CPU case temp sensor instead. Not to be confused with the socket temp.

Soldato
Me? I've been comparing CoreTemp to the temps in HWMonitor and AMD Overdrive (both of which agree with each other). The display the Core temps and TMPIN0, TMPIN1 & TMPIN2 temps. I'm assuming (well, hoping) that TMPIN1 is the CPU temp.
The TMPIN1 temps are usually 12-15*C higher than the 'Core' temps.

Soldato
Aren't the Phenom temp readings rather meaningless? even AMD admit they aren't accurate...
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=4381651&postcount=11
well amd has always told me to monitor the overall CPU temp, not the core temp.

Dear Gareth,

Correct, as long as you are within the voltage and temperature guidelines you are ok. The temperature that should be monitored is the overall CPU temperature, not the core temp.

Best regards,
Jesse

AMD Global Customer Care

Last edited:
Associate
Core temps ARE incorrect for Phenom II's, as Phenom II's dont HAVE sensors on the cores, they only have a socket sensor which is normally called either ''CPU Temp'' or ''TMPIN1''

Back
Top Bottom