Hydra/Hydro

Associate
Ok my main folding rig (Hydra) is running HOT and LOUD ive even had a couple of hangs/crashes, not good.

So new cooling needed, but as its a quad G34 rig coolers aint easy to come by.

Noctua do a 90 and 120mm cooler for G34, they seen ok but with 4 in one box the case will need to be the size of Birmingham and have 500 other fans feeding it:mad:

Now to the point, i think water is the order of the day:eek:

Last time i water cooled a rig it was my PII 400 and i had to make the block myself at work:p

Blocks with G34 fittings also few, Koolance CPU-360 fits but its £80 a throw.
The block im thinking of is Aquacomputer cuplex kryos at £35(any good?)

What i really need to know is how many loops, what pumps (MCP655?) and will two 120.3 rads be enough.

CPUs are 140W max and no GPU's

Man of Honour
One loop, one pump and two rads should be fine mate, the water temperature stabilises in the loop after a short while.

Aquacomputer make quality kit, the Cuplex Kryos was what I was going to use but supplier screwed it up

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To start with the aquacomputer block is the best on the market IIRC. A pair of triple rads would be sufficent for 4 140w CPUs, a thin single was fine on my Athlon X4 that had unlocked L3 cache and a 1ghz overclock. Personally I'd split it across two loops so two cpus, one 120.3 rad and one pump between 2 cpus. I'm assuming there's no option to overclock on the G34 opterons so heat shouldnt be a massive issue.

For pumps I'd go with either the Laing D5 vario or the 18w DDC which is the same as the MCP655 i think.

Edit: I'd be inclined to go with biffa's advice over mine as I've no experience with loops containing multiple power hungry components, where as he is a fountain of knowledge on the subject.

Associate
OP
Many thanks Mr Biffa.

Thats kind of what i hoped as i cant overclock and wanted to keep it simple:)

Edit: Thanks Frozennova:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yes i did see that but only after the post:rolleyes:

No matter, offer still stands.

Ok so the Cuplex Kryos Delrin is the lower specced version of the Kryos (the XT being the best) but as the G34 only comes in that version and as you can;t overclock the buggers you will be fine. Ironically the Koolance is poo in comparison :D

Associate
OP
Will do ,it might be a while before i get the bits together.

Ive also got to move it out of the stacker 810 its in, just no room.

I have an old codegen S201 case that was my server, it will need a lot of work but could work well as its double width.
Water pump, rads and psu one side and motherboard on the other is the plan.

Man of Honour
I haven't even seen pics of it as it is now! :)

What case is it in? I'm thinking you might be better off with something like a 560 (140x4) radiator.

I'm comfortably cooling the two X5650's @4Ghz and the two N200's chipsets with a single 420 (140x3)

Associate
OP
Its in a stacker 810 as i read on another forum that the H8QGi-f fitted without mods into this case, this turned out not to be the errr.....case:mad:

I will post a few pics in the morning.:)

Is that a single 140x4 Mr Biffa?

I was thinking of two 120x3's with one after the first pair of processors.

I will have to measure up the case see what will fit then work round that. 14's might be a tight fit.

Actually just measured the pc in front of me and the drive bays are 14+ so should work.

Man of Honour
Just thinking of space, I'm pretty sure you would be good for cooling with a 560. As I said it doesn't make any difference on radiator placement as long as they have adequate airflow the loop temp will equalize no matter where you place them.

Back
Top Bottom