• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Bulldozer Finally!

Associate
Finally today we heard when bulldozer was going to show up. Ok you got me this isnt a countdown to actually being able to get your hands on it but it is a countdown till we will actually start seeing some benchmarks and enthusiasts having a chance to tinker with it. I don't know about you guys but im particularly excited about getting myself an 8 core (4 module i know) cpu some time this year (benchmarks and cost effective price point permitting). Now given how this is literally only 25 days (at time of this post) we should start to see the AM3+ mobos popping up anytime soon too. Sure we know about MSI's big bang conquerer but thats been it for ages and again im most eager to start planning for my future build. :rubs hands: :D

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/item/21753-amd-to-showcase-bulldozer-at-cebit

http://www.cebit.de/home <------- realtime countdown timer on site

Soldato
Even if it is 50% better than the Thubans I don't think it's going to compete with what Intel bring out later in the year :( It looks like the 50% is going to be enough to reach the current SandyBridge...

Associate
Even if it is 50% better than the Thubans I don't think it's going to compete with what Intel bring out later in the year :( It looks like the 50% is going to be enough to reach the current SandyBridge...

as much as that would be good for us,customers,cant see it reachig SB,not even mention Ivy..

Soldato
For the healthiness of competition, AMD need to bring out something which soundly beats Sandybridge, only to be edged out by Intels offerings later in the year.

From the little I've seen, I'm jumping to the conclusion that they're going to be able to compete with Sandybridge, but I do not think they'll be equal with it, not when you consider how much the 2600Ks are overclocking to.

AMD need to really pull it out of the bag here.

Associate
I wouldn't complain if one could buy SandyBridge performance for Deneb or Thuban prices would you?

And AMD started dropping prices today too. Over 10% on 6 Cores.

Soldato
Due to die size, Bulldozer should be relatively cheap to manufacture.

AMD will be successful if they keep producing price-competitive CPUs for mainstream applications. They don't need the outright performance crown to make money.

Soldato
I'm trying my best to look on the dark side of things, so that I don't get too hyped up. :)

Whatever happens though, Intel will have lost a fortune, because by the time they get Sandybridge fixed, Bulldozer will be here and it'll be price competition time.

I've never owned an FX. I always wanted a Clawhammer FX (because I like the name Clawhammer). All other things being roughly equal I'd love to own a Bulldozer FX. And this time around money is no problem.

Associate
I'm trying my best to look on the dark side of things, so that I don't get too hyped up. :)

Whatever happens though, Intel will have lost a fortune, because by the time they get Sandybridge fixed, Bulldozer will be here and it'll be price competition time.

I've never owned an FX. I always wanted a Clawhammer FX (because I like the name Clawhammer). All other things being roughly equal I'd love to own a Bulldozer FX. And this time around money is no problem.

also the FX was L.L.LLLLLUDICOUSLY expensive

Soldato
Perhaps AMD are going to speedbin stuff and put out the cream of the crop as FX.

On the gaming benchmarks on Anand's bench the 50% boost to 1100T only puts it almost catching the 2600K, a 20% boost from the 2600K would put AMD out of touching distance.

Associate
OP
Not sure about everything but I do know that initially there will be a 125w and a 95w version of the same 8 core 3.5Ghz cpu to choose from at first release. I can only guess the 125w ones will be lower binned items that need more volts to attain same speed and are possibly a slightly lower clockspeed to avoid confusion maybe 3.4Ghz. Oh and on the subject of overclocking it would seem logical not to expect major overclocking as first generation bulldozer is going to be fabbed gate first and is not expected to be fabbed gate last till second generation late 2012.

Either way tho im sure once I slap my 95w bulldozer on my NH-D14 il be cranking the volts and laughing at a good 4.4Ghz+ easy.... hopefully. :p

edit:

Although now I think about it maybe the 125w version could be the 3.5Ghz unlocked multi FX and the 95w version could a be a lower power lower clocked locked multi at maybe 2.8Ghz. Maybe.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom