Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Beyerdynamic MMX300

Soldato
The MMX300 appear to be DT770 premiums with a mic slapped on and some silly carbon fibre effect, I paid £99 for my DT770 premiums so they seem very over priced.

Soldato
Almost £300 for the Beyerdynamic MMX300 :eek:

That's almost like the infamous Dr Dre headphones :p

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro should be a better choice. Bear in mind there are different impedance versions of these. Both 80 ohm and 250 ohm can be had for £130 del at iHeadphones.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I've gone for the mmx300 I ordered directly from Beyerdynamic's online shop (custom MANUFAKTUR), so i get what i like. I will use a astro mixamp with them.

I may get the 770's as well because i'll have a wait for the others.

Associate
I have the DT770s and they are amazing in my opinion. I'd never buy a headset though for various reason not least because you pay above the odds for the mic. DT770s at £150 + Speedlink clip mic at £7 and you're laughing.

Permabanned
OP
I should get the 770's by mid week, i'm hoping they'll be an improvment on the astro a40's, which are being sent back for replacement as they developed a fault in the right ear cup (not working)

When i get the mmx300 i'll be able to hear if they're just 770's with a strapon ;)

Permabanned
OP
As far as I'm aware, they are. Hence why you might not need both! lol. My offer was quite serious though if you do find yourself not using the DT770's once the MMX300's turn up. ;)

I was reading last night some thread somewhere and the guy from germany stated the MMX300's if he had to, were more on par with the 2005 version of 770's. I think they'll be different ;)

Its not a case of need but a case of want ;) :D

As for the price for the MMX300's i found a price of £250, i've not gone that route as i wanted them made MANUFAKTUR.

I did wonder about the headphone amp, what i've been reading though the astro mixamp works pretty well with it.

Soldato
Just to let you know, the one from photo and video store in the us doesn't include some $120 import duties/VAT on top of the price :p

That would roughly work out at £325 ish.

Soldato
Where here ---> http://www.thomann.de/gb/beyerdynamic_mmx_300.htm

Do you think that is to much for headset.

This headset costs $349 in the US (that is excluding tax).

It's listed for an equivalent of $336 when you exclude VAT.

It's totally up to you if you want to spend that much on a headset, I don't think it's worth it, judging by the cost of Beyerdynamic DR770 pro that can be had for $175 or so (and are fairly well priced in the UK).

Permabanned
OP
Actually, on second thoughts it's like a 200% markup for a microphone. Erm, no.

I will see when i get them. I'm sure it's a very nice mic.

As for the 770 pros to much bass for me straight out of the box (looks around the room at the two subs) ;)

Here is a couple of quotes from here ---> http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/407158/still-abit-confused-about-diffrent-versions-of-beyerdynamic-dt770-and-mmx300

First of all the DT 770 PRO and DT 770 (Edition 2005 - Consumer Version) are "related".
The differences are the headbow (more tension on the DT 770 PRO), the housing (causing both headphones to sound slightly different) and the packaging. The different impedances:
- DT 770 PRO in 80 or 250 Ohms (32 and 600 Ohms are special versions and not available for retail)
- DT 770 (Edition 2005) in 32, 80, 250 or 600 Ohms, not all available for normal retail, but all available through our MANUFAKTUR.

The differences in sound between the different impedances is theoretically simple:
Headphone systems or drivers with lower impedances use slightly heavier wire for the coil and are therefor not moving as rapid and exact as the higher impedance systems. Conclusion: lower impedances mean slightly heavier membrane + coil --> slightly more mass --> slightly slower to move causing headphones with higher impedances to sound slightly more detailed.

Concerning the MMX 300, this is actually a seperate product but if you want to relate it to a DT 770, than a DT 770 (Edition 2005).

I hope this removed your question marks?

Thanks and best regards from Germany,

Peter Grooff

Product Manager Headzone® / Headphones / Headsets / OEM ProAudio
beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG

The custom DT770's are:
DT770 Pro 80 ohm
DT770 Pro 250 ohm
DT770 2005 premiumline consumer edition (250 ohm)
DT770 M (80 ohm).

Different ohms can only be purchased at the Beyers webshop as manufaktur on-line custom design.

Edit: Peter was ahead of me :)
BTW: to my ears, there's a huge different in sound between DT770 Pro and DT770 2005 consumer edition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom