P8P67 LE - the board of FAIL?

Associate
I've been tasked with overclocking some P8P67 LE motherboards at work, and it seems that no matter what I try, I just can't stop them from throttling under load. I don't want a huge overclock, just a modest 4Ghz on a 2500k.

Does anyone have any experience with the P8P67 LE board and had success overclocking it? I've tried everything I can think of and I'm just about out of ideas. The board doesn't have any way to manually enter the Vcore; only an option to use an offset voltage. I've found the board is most stable using a minus offset of about .125v, but still throttles. If I undervolt it much further, it BSOD's. Overvolt it, it throttles even faster. There doesn't seem to be a sweet spot. I've tried enabling/disabling LLC and various other settings to try and stabilise the overclock but with no success. I've been told that being that the VRM's are limited in comparison to the LE's bigger sibblings, that it may be overheating. I have no way to confirm this though.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Soldato
You should get 4Ghz on stock volts but overclocking this i5 was a lot different to my old 775 setup

From what i remember you have to set turbo mode frequency to 40 on all 4 cores.

On the POST screen it still reports 3.3Ghz and in windows it reports 1.6Ghz idle ( speedstep ) but when you fire up an app it jumps to 4Ghz.

I have the vanilla P8P67

Welcome to the forums btw :)

Associate
OP
To answer my own question, as it may be useful to someone else who is trying to overclock a P8P67 LE and experiencing issues with throttling. The problem is that the limited VRM's on the LE board overheat. This can be remedied by using a low profile cooler, of similar design to the stock cooler. I used a freezer 7 low profile which did the trick. This type of cooler blows air over the VRM's cooling them down, allowing the cpu to be overclocked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom