Dropped my phone down the toilet

Soldato
:eek: Gutted! Dropped my HTC Desire down the loo last night, and I have no insurance (call me an idiot if you wish).

Can't get the bloody thing to work now, slight precipitation at the bottom of the screen aswell.

Anybody fixed anything like this before? Or what will Vodafone do if I ring them?

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Take it to bits (as best you can) and put in the airing cupboard for a few days.

If you've already tried to turn it on etc though, you've probably made it worse :p

Soldato
Dropped my Nokia E71 in a pint of beer last night, it's absolutely dead this morning, even after taking it apart, putting it in the airing cupboard and leaving it go all night.

Soldato
My girlfriend dropped her iPhone into water so I read quite a few topics for best drying out phones. Most of them suggested putting it into a bag of rice as that allowed it to absorb the water.

Associate
Did the same to my SE X1 ages ago. Dismantled it, rinsed the pcbs with deionised water (to clean it and as it does not conduct electricity as well as toilet water!) shook it dry, left the bits on the radiator until it was all bone dry then put it all back together and hey presto!! Worked perfectly! I reckon Its all about getting the battery out ASAP as soon as you wet it tho.

Soldato
If you drop in anything sugary or something that will leave residue, you need to wash first.

Preferably soak in 99% isopropyl alcohol for a while. Then leave to dry with the added benefit that IPA evaporates very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom