• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hardware or Driver Problem? (Asus GTX 580 - Original)

Associate
Hi I've had my ASUS GTX 580 (ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5) since launch last November. Over the past month most of my DX10/11 games are crashing like minimizing/black screens after a random 5/10 mins of play.

I thought it’s could be a bug or virus my computer had so I reinstalled Windows. Until when I loaded up Crysis 2 DX11 (for example). All the same problems happen again.

I installed latest drivers that nvidia has launched (I should wait for the full WHQL version - but god knows when that will be available)

I vacuumed the fan a few days ago (same with the entire system) looks brand new now :p

Ran Crysis 2 in windowed mode (and with lower dx11 graphics options)
Configured SMART Doctor to enable SMARTFan setting/custom setting to 80% and Overheat Protection.

Still no luck. However when I ran the game/s in windowed mode I got a chance to quickly notice and print screen the following errors:
16mcgl.jpg

I also checked Windows reliability history and it gave me this log:
Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎01/‎07/‎2011 07:35

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem
WD-20110701-0735.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: FFFFFA800B5904E0
BCP2: FFFFF880049C96C4
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

All I can gather right now on errors.
I’m hoping it’s just a glitch in the drivers and no problem with the card. The fan does work and never had problems before such as this. The temperature of the graphics card is roughly 65-70 degrees C when playing Crysis 2 (Dx11) or Just Cause 2 (Dx10) and the FPS are pretty good (Crysis 2 FPS= 45-53). On normal load 39-45 degrees (aero theme enabled and Auto Fan setting – SMART Doctor).

The card isn’t overclocked and never has been – too dangerous for me and I wouldn’t know what I’m doing.
CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE??? Anything to stop the damn games from freezing.
I’m yet to test my other DX10/11 games such as: Metro 2033 DX11, Assassin’s Creed DX10, Fear 3 DX11, that I am in the middle of completing.
SYSTEM CONFIG:
CPU: Intel Core i7 930 (1st Gen)
RAM: 6GB PC-12800 @ 1600mhz XMP Triple Channel
MB: Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
GFX: ENGTX580/2DI/1536MD5
PSU: Corsair HX 850W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply
CASE: HAF 932 - x4 Fans
:eek:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes non gaming is fine, although I havnt noticed any problems. I havnt had any issues with DirectX 9 games. To be honest I dont like playing old school DX9 games I like things up to date and at the highest level - so I try to stick to DX10/11 api games. (although I understand there should be less glitches coz Dx9 is near 8 years old n 99% bugs fixed)

I have no problems using bluray which was using the Nvidia PureVideo enhancement.

Associate
I had a very similar issue with an old EVGA 8800 GTX. It was fine until I tried to run anything that used DirectX. Within about a minute of launching a game it would lock up solid.

RMAed it back to EVGA and they diagnosed faulty RAM.

Associate
OP
Ah damn... Well few months ago I was advised to RMA the card back to OCUK because I thought the HDMI port packed up. Sent that back and the mini-hdmi to HDMI adaptor (which came with it) to them and they said nothing was wrong with it (waste of money that was) as it turned out they didnt check the adaptor which was the problem (I bought a mini hdmi to hdmi lead my last resort - as a better replacement after getting it back).

They ran benchmarks which gave the card the OK! (back in April)

I'm worried if I send it back to them it would be another £15 waste of money and time if it wasn't the hardware. (£5 for postage - £10 for RMA Test and P&P).

Associate
Try underclocking the gpu ram a couple of hundreds points and see if your gpu still crashes in games

I had had to underclock my gtx 480 ram to get it to not artifact and crash in games

ocuk have also sent this one back has being ok after I rma'd it, cba to try another rma tbh

Associate
OP
Underclocking the RAM? How would I do that (sorry a bit of a noob at the clocking/overclocking features). Would this slow things down where FPS would lag.
Would changing the MEMORY slider in SmartDoctor be the right way to underclock.

I think I may have conquered it - I opened up the setup options>Hyper drive (tab)>(ticked)Enable Hyper Drive>(automatically) selects temperature mode.
I had dx11 crysis 2 running for over 20-30 mins. But the fps was a bit glitchy. Spose I gotta wait till GTX 600 series/next gen is out.

But im still open to suggestions... wish i knew how to watercool my system but its to much sodding about - i dont have much time maintaining it.

Back
Top Bottom