Synology NAS - Transfer speed issue

Soldato
Hi

Just wondering if any fellow Synology users have come across this before.

I am running the latest firmware on my DS211j, v3.1-1748. If I transfer files via Windows I get the below speed:-

acc277e5.jpg

But if I login to the NAS and use the upload feature within there, I only get:-

73934815.jpg

Why is it so slow in comparison? They are all set to Gig connection (no jumbo frames), yet Windows copy is so much faster. Any thoughts? I may have to raise another ticket with Synology support if not. :(

Soldato
I will transfer a big file in a bit and see what I get.

This is in XP. Using a 700MB rar file in File station 3 I get 21.6MB a sec.
Using File browser I only got 19MB a sec
Using Flash FXP I got 35MB a sec..I run 2 basic drives so no raid.

Last edited:
Associate
You sure about the speed and duplex? That large a drop in directional performance looks very much like a duplex mismatch to me.
May also be worth checking the cables are not damaged. Sometimes a dodgy pair can cause asymmetric transfer rates.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. :)

@deuse, the speeds were never that bad within the Synology GUI though, that's my conundrum. It's been awhile since I've actually transferred stuff via that method (and a few firmware revisions ago), but it was never speeds down in KB/s.

@Skidilliplop, my Windows NIC shows 1.0 GBs and all switches are showing Green LEDs (i.e. 1.0 GBs connections). Logged in the NAS and it is showing "1000, Full Duplex, MTU 1500".

I did read on one of the 13-page threads from the Synology forum about this issue, and some person had luck replacing the Cat5e cable on the NAS to a Cat6 cable. But all the switches, Cat5e cable, Powerline AV2 adapters that I have are brand new.

I might try replacing the cable regardless with a spare just to rule it out, but something is wrong somewhere. :(

Soldato
OP
Try flash FXP and see what you get. I never use the synology software for moving files.

OK I'll give that a go, cheers. I've just downloaded the 30 day trial from http://www.flashfxp.com/index.php but are you able to help with how I set it up for the NAS?

I'll have a click around now, but I'm not too sure what to do. Do I need to enable FTP stuff on the NAS? :o

Thanks.

Soldato
5.05MB are you sure? Using flash you should get at least PC-Nas 30-45MB and Nas to PC-50-70MB a sec.

Try a rared file say about 700MB in size and see what you get. 5.05MB a sec does not look right to me.

Soldato
OP
5.05MB are you sure? Using flash you should get at least PC-Nas 30-45MB and Nas to PC-50-70MB a sec.

Try a rared file say about 700MB in size and see what you get. 5.05MB a sec does not look right to me.

Ah thanks deuse. OK I tried it with a 700MB test zip, screenshot below. Only get just over 7 MB/s.

a021cf25.jpg

Hmm wonder why I don't get anywhere near 30MB. :confused: I'll try getting a CAT6 cable from work and replace the one on the NAS, see what happens I guess.

Soldato
OP
Think I may have stumbled on to a lead here. Doing some Google searching and saw that the HDD could be limiting the transfer speed.

Now, I remember checking the disks before I installed them into the NAS for errors, and also setting their "mode" to quiet.

Ran the Disk utility and look what we get:-

34e9c804.jpg

I might try taking them out, and setting the "mode" back to performance (or the equivalent setting). Could that be something that would reduce the rate so drastically?

Soldato
OP
Well, set AAM to "fast" and it made no difference to the Sequential Read/Write numbers. Just swapped the patch cable over with a spare CAT5e cable I found. See if that makes a difference. :)

Associate
Strange...

Im now getting the same issue... used to transfer around 30m speed now today im only getting 7 meg... cant remember when i last updated the firmware.

Soldato
OP
I'm in two minds whether to blow the array away and start again, except I have 122GB of data on the drives. That's going to take over 5 hours to transfer off at 6 MB/s. It's a lot of time if it's going to make zero difference! :( :confused:

Soldato
I would try to sort this out before you go and start again. I have the new update on my 211j on a gig network with no problems.

I know that does not help you but connect the nas to the pc and try again see what happens it could be a switch playing up
I don't have raid because I don't it's worth it on 2 HDs.

Soldato
OP
I would try to sort this out before you go and start again. I have the new update on my 211j on a gig network with no problems.

I know that does not help you but connect the nas to the pc and try again see what happens it could be a switch playing up
I don't have raid because I don't it's worth it on 2 HDs.

Yeah good idea. I'll hook it up to the other switch by the PC and see if its the same. Just also thought I should try the disk benchmark again, but with the HDD from the NAS in the PC. Make sure it does indeed run faster.

Associate
hmm that's strange... just tried using the synology file browser and uploaded some files and i was getting 22 meg that almost 3 times the speed than using regular windows explorer

Back
Top Bottom