Project: Madness (a Fan/Electronics modification)

Soldato
Not a case mod, build or anything but I thought seeing as it modifies something computer based quite heavily I thought I'd post it here.

Why call it Madness? Well you'll see.

So after the success of modding a fan with 16 LEDs last year I fancied a fresh challenge and wanted to incorporate a growing personal interest in electronics.

Here's a picture of the fan from last year.

dsNMho6.jpg

I won't make this like a tutorial as I just don't think anyone else would be daft enough to take on such a project. I will include a brief description of how it works and how each component works with other components to create the desired effect.

What I want to do is have it so the LEDs light up in turn spinning around the fan circumference. A bit like the Enermax Vegas shown here but not flashing and being silly. Just whooshing around the fan at different speeds.

More to come...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Of course it's Orange. :)

Here's the blades from an old Tri-Cool which will be the donor fan for this little project. I haven't worried about the cowling of the fan as it's just an experiment at the moment. If I was to use this in a rig I'd get a decent fan, or at least a new Tri-cool that hadn't been in use for a year.

Cheap cheap Neon Orange spray paint (wife gave me a strange look when I bought it) looks amazing when I test sprayed a bit of a white melamine cupboard but on the fan it looks ok but not ORANGE like the cupboard. Oh well. I used a piece of paper to catch as much of the stray paint as I could.

ls7TTRV.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
There are a couple of ways of making a circuit like this that I know of. There may very well be dozens but for now I know of two basic methods.

1) Use a PIC microcontroller. A PIC is like a little processor that you can load a program to and have it do certain things and one of those functions includes PWM to light LEDs.

2) Use a couple of Integrated circuits and a number of passive components to do it manually and logically.

I chose the second option partly because I don't have a PIC programmer but also because I wanted to learn a bit more about normal electronics.

5554017.jpg

The route I took was to use a 4017 decade IC (on the right), this 16 pin beauty basically can receive a timing signal and output it's own signal to one of it's 10 outputs. It's basically a counter. Multiple 4017 chips can be used to count tens, hundreds, thousands.

I used a 555 timer IC (on the left) to send the 4017 the clock pulse. The 555 timer chip has been around for years and basically works by using an external capacitor and a resistor to control how long the pulse takes. A large value resistor and a large value capacitor will take longer than a smaller value resistor and smaller value capacitor.

This is the schematic I came up with. This circuit is basically cobbled together from a few different circuits, it's not fully home made.

schematic1.jpg

The 555 is controlled by a static capacitor and a variable resistor and outputs to an AND gate (2 x 1N914 and the 15000 ohm resistor) which will normally send the pulse to the right side chip, once that has pulsed through it's outputs it activates the second AND gate and starts sending the pulse to the left side chip. Each output on the 4017 chips goes to a second little circuit like is shown on LED1. I couldn't be bothered to draw it 17 moer times.

So the first thing I needed to do was just to check the way that the circuit works and put it on breadboard with just the one 4017 chip.

The circuit is a lot simpler but shows the effect of the dimming circuit at the far right LED. Notice how the first 9 LEDs basically flash quite dimly but the end one looks much nicer. This dimming effect is what I want to bring to this circuit.

Here are a number of the components and parts I have sourced over the last few weeks off eBay for this and future projects.

A basic prototype board. The components are mounted on the other side but circuits are made by the copper tracks. I use a drill to remove bits of copper where I wish a line to end.
veroboard.jpg

Capacitors hold energy and are useful to smooth power delivery to items. Diodes are used to stop electron flow in one direction.
captrandiode.jpg

Resistors slow down the electron flow in a circuit so act as current limiters for devices. Pictured here above some electrolytic capacitors are a 2.2kohm and a 56ohm resistor, which are identified by the banding colours.
capsresistors.jpg

LEDs are semi conductors that emit light when electrons flow across them. Potentiometers are variable resistors where a turn of the little knob increases or decreases the resistance to electron flow.

ledwirepot.jpg

These little sockets are useful if you want to switch ICs at any time. I blew one 555 chip so without this little holder it would have been tricky to unsolder all the pins and get it out.
dilsockets.jpg

And most importantly a basic multimeter which everyone should own.
multimeter.jpg

I found a useful little program called VeroDES which allowed me to plan my circuit directly onto a virtual PCB. This is the circuit I came up with. I was able to check this against my Multisim schematic, which was proven to work through simulation.

verochart.jpg

Here are a few images taken as I was building the circuit on the veroboard. I could have saved so much space if I'd taken the time. I left so much room for the outputs when I needn't have worried about them.

pcb1n.jpg

rearboard.jpg

4017insitu.jpg

ceramiccap.jpg

resistorinplace.jpg

transistors.jpg

Here is the main circuit all complete, apart from the potentiometer which I added a little later. At this stage I have no output wiring. The main bulk of the circuit is taken up with the dimming sub-circuits which include two transistors, two resistors and one capacitor per LED. What was I thinking? Just for a fan? This is total madness.

completedmainpcb.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks brilliant, I love homemade electronics and it looks like you've certainly taken on an exciting one. I agree though, the circuit board is enormous. I expect you could cut it down somehow...maybe in a revision just stick everything really close together haha.

Associate
I know youve already dropped PICs, but i found them a joy to use in GCSE/AS/A2 Electronics (i actually did a similar concept to your project for GSCE, except using 4026 chips outputting to 7-segment displays), and there are free programs that can download to them. Theres a few here, i personally liked AXEpad, and im sure you could get hold of the usb cable for a few quid should you want to use them in a later project

edit: FYI, id stick to using them chipholders for all chips. Partly because of the reason you mentioned above, and partly because theres a fairly high chance the soldering iron will burn out the chip anyways (trust me, ive been there ...)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I initially didn't think about using PICs due to cost of buying the programmer but after spending a fair bit on all the components anyway I probably wouldn't have been much out of pocket. It's true though that I now have a good selection of components for any future projects as even though this project only needed 1 or 2 of things I've bought 10-100 of them.

I've been looking at pic programmers though and not sure what to get. Is there anything I need to know before making a purchase?

Soldato
OP
An update for you.

Here's another fan colour just for testing purposes. I'm wondering what difference a Black Gloss finish and the Orange Matt finish will make to the appearance of the end effect.

DgpVVD8.jpg

And so to the electronics...

Here is the finished PCB rear side soldering.

bV6INwX.jpg

And once wired up.
NAUY641.jpg

tAiFRkR.jpg

jlwHNct.jpg

pD7mgzT.jpg

I'm not the world's best solderer and although it looked fine to me under a magnifier it didn't work properly when I hooked up the wires to a breadboard.

I used 5 bits of BT spec cable to do the wiring because I had some left over from some rewiring. I did toy with the idea of using an old scart lead to do the wiring but decided against it as it used the briad screen as some of it's wiring and would get messy.

You can see that some of the lights work ok but then they go a little mental towards the end and don't really recover on the second pass.

So I had to go back to the board and try and find where I had made a mistake.

There were 1 or 2 instances where the timiest amount of solder had flowed across individual tracks and a couple of times where the tracks weren't cut properly by myself.

We are talking the slightest errors here. It's been 10+ years since I've dabbled with Veroboard and even then it was just the simplest of LM384 audio amplifier circuits so I think I did rather well.

Thankfully there was nothing wrong with the actual circuit! Good old Multisim!

So finally for this update here is a video of the actual working circuit. I'm using 2x5x7 Ultra Bright Orange LEDs which have a wide viewing angle for this test but will be using 3mm Ultra bright Orange standard lens types for the end project.

More to come tomorrow.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're speaking a foreign language, but the final effect will be cool and it's always much better to do these things yourself. Looks like a fun project, for sure!
For this, you can have an ace pin.
I trust you'll give me a nudge when you update the thread ;).

Soldato
OP
So to marking out the fan with the correct gaps. It's quite tricky to get 18 LEDs on a fan as it's not an equal multiple of 4. I did the best I could. Had to remove one of the structural things at one of the corners.

markingupfan.jpg

Come to think of it the Orange doesn't look half bad.
p1010681f.jpg

holey.jpg

Shove some LEDs in and hold in place with a blob of hot glue (this thing is a blessing).

hedgehogy.jpg

Adding some wiring. Lots of Anode connections from the LED controller but only pne needed ground wire which I strung from one side to the other.
p1010688o.jpg

p1010695z.jpg

And the moment of truth. How does it look?

firstrun.jpg

Here is the full assembly with poorly fitting leads and just one fan attached, yes this controller can send light to about 10 fans if fitted with LEDs the same way.

fullassembly.jpg

Here are a few shots of the fan at different cycle speeds. The ones with lots of lights are the fast ones, the ones with only 2 or 3 major lights are moving more solwly.

I think these are all with the Orange fan blades fitted. I've taken so many shots in various light states and with so many different coloured blades I can't be sure.

dayflatslow.jpg

nightmedium.jpg

nightfast.jpg

nightmedium2.jpg

nightslow.jpg

I'm uploading some videos....

....and then I will dig out the Black blade images and videos. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Here's the first video recorded with Orange blades.

And with grey primer painted blades. This is very matt and you can see the way that the light is captured by the blades rather than being reflected and refracted.

There may be some background noise.

Back
Top Bottom