Handing lost property to Police

Auctioned off by the looks of it, I found a cool site called Google and that seems to suggest it with all the Police lost property auctions on it. ;)

That stuff the police recover from things like thefts or from handling stolen goods jobs, that nobody claims. If you hand an item into the police yourself, if no one claims it after a period of time, you can then claim it. If you don't claim it then it'll end up in the auctions.

So if you find a mobile phone, and it's barred, and you hand it to the police, who then hand it to you 6 months later because no one has claimed it, does it mean it will be legal to sell it on within the UK?

So if you find a mobile phone, and it's barred, and you hand it to the police, who then hand it to you 6 months later because no one has claimed it does it, mean it will be legal to sell it on within the UK?

Yes.

All found property is retained by the Police for a period of two months to allow time for the loser to reclaim it. The finder is then given a further month in which to claim back the property after which the property is set aside for disposal as directed by the Chief Constable, usually by sale at auction. Details of the next auction will be advertised here nearer the time.

What happens to goods handed over to the police
The usual police practice is that you can have the goods back and keep them if they are not claimed within six weeks (six months in Northern Ireland). However, the police may want more time if there are special circumstances and they want to investigate, for example, if they suspect the goods are stolen or think that the owner can be traced. Once the property has been returned to you by the police, the original owner cannot usually then claim the goods.

my company deals with lost property quite regularly. popular items like mobile phones have been know to go missing after being handed in to police lost property. sad but true.

my company deals with lost property quite regularly. popular items like mobile phones have been know to go missing after being handed in to police lost property. sad but true.

I read a story about 4 years ago - where a well known magazine handed 12 wallets into various police stations across the country claiming they had found it in the street. The wallets contained £40.

From what I can remember, only 4 of the wallets were eventually handed back to the magazine. 3 could not be located when they were enquired about - one was claimed to be handed back to the owner when it hadn't been - and surprisingly 2 of the wallets no longer had the money in them when they were retrieved from the lost and found areas of the cop shops :rolleyes:

Handed it to the Police today, got a receipt & it says it can not be returned to the finder.

The owner has 28 days to claim a item if not claimed by the owner the item may be reclaimed by the finder.
Except animals & mobile phones as they could hold personal details thereon. (not the animals)

I read a story about 4 years ago - where a well known magazine handed 12 wallets into various police stations across the country claiming they had found it in the street. The wallets contained £40.

From what I can remember, only 4 of the wallets were eventually handed back to the magazine. 3 could not be located when they were enquired about - one was claimed to be handed back to the owner when it hadn't been - and surprisingly 2 of the wallets no longer had the money in them when they were retrieved from the lost and found areas of the cop shops :rolleyes:

That is ****-poor IMO.

Back
Top Bottom