Gigabyte z68 & 2500k

Associate
Hi
I had a quick play overclocking last night and I cant seem to figure out how to reduce the voltage

Default the CPU is at 34x, and I cranked it up to 40x - 4Ghz and rebooted and the voltage was 1.3+ish, before this it was 1.18

I went into Prime95 and done a Torture blend test and after about 10 minutes the CPU was in the 70s

Which option is it to reduce the voltage? Cant find it

My case is a CoolerMaster HAF 912 and Im using the Coolermaster Hyper TX3 with 3 x Direct Contact heat-pipes CPU Cooling Fan

Any help at all would be appreciated

Associate
Could you possibly tell us which motherboard you are using - for example the Z68X-UD4

But regardless which motherboard you use if you update your BIOS and download the TouchBios utility from the link in the TouchBIOS guide found in my sig you will be able to set your voltages with ease. Have a read of the guide as it is applicable to all Gigabyte Z68 motherboards.

Associate
OP
I have the Gigabyte Z68A-B3-D3

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3599/unleduut.jpg

Is it one of those options Im supposed to choose to control the voltage? I just dont understand the values available

Current vCore: 1.18V

It doesnt even go as high as 1.18V in that list, this mobo is different to my old one. You chose which voltage you wanted to use, seems different with this mobo or I am missing something

Associate
What you are seeing is the dynamic vcore. Which means what ever you select will either be added to the stock voltage of your CPU, or taken away from the stock voltage for your CPU.

unleduut.jpg

So scroll through and you will see some positive numbers and once selected will add that value to the default vcore.

Hope that makes sense.

Associate
OP
I understand yeah, cheers

So whats the default vcore exactly so I know what to add etc.. and I want it as low as possible right? My PC needs to be able to boot up, but I want the vcore as low as possible because the higher it is, the hotter it will be. Am I understanding correctly?

Associate
OP
Or wait if I take back what I jus asked because maybe it doesnt matter, if I overclock my system to 4Ghz

Then add the lowest + vcore value first, if it doesnt boot up, increase the vcore to the second lowest + value.... and so on, until it boots up. Is that what Im meant to be doing ?
If that makes sense

Associate
OP
Is the QuickBoost Overclock in Bios Touch any good? Does that set do anything to voltages or is it just automatic like how I did it before in normal bios, I only increased the CPU thing from 34x to 40x. Didnt do anything else, the voltage changed automatically by itself

Associate
The voltages will change automatically as they are preprogrammed by the CPU when you change multi.

The bit you have to understand is that your system will automatically overclock itself when you are doing a task that requires one core. Intel call it turbo boost. So for most people there is really no need to overclock the CPU at all. Except because we can. :D

Decide what frequency you want with your cooling solution.
Set the mulit accordingly.
If it boots and does what you need your PC to do without any hassle or problems then good. Write down what the vcore is.
Lower the vcore if you want to - use single increments each time.
Once your system becomes unstable increase the vcore by two increments.
That is it in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom