Restoration - Range Rover CSK 1991 No. 120

Associate
This is a little late to post a project thread really as the car is pretty much completed but I will be doing further updates as I do further modification and changes. I'm also convinced thing are going to break at some point, it is a Range Rover.

I decided a while ago that I wanted a Range Rover again, after my 1991 classic met a less than dignified end on a country lane 3 years ago.

I'd been looking at Softdash classics and P38 models but I had also spotted a CSK on ebay, No.64. I'd always fancied a slightly more modern take on the 2 door but never considered that a CSK could be obtainable until now. I placed a bid, and for a long time was the highest bidder, but was outbid in the last few moments.

To be honest I was a little gutted about this, I now had my heart set on a CSK but figured the chance of finding two for sale in the space of time I was looking at would be unlikely. I joined the CSK forum and had a look about, noticed a post hiding away in the CSK-Exchange section advertising the sale of CSK 120. I jumped at this opportunity and started correspondence with the current owner through messages and email. I passed on my phone number and waited to hear from him, we had originally arranged to talk that afternoon. By 2pm I'd all but given up on this and was just loading the Series 3 for a trip into the hills when my phone rang!

The car was in Sussex (I live in Derbyshire) but David (the current owner)was willing to sell ASAP and I decided that there was no time like the present. A quick call to my brother and Adrian Flux and the transport was on the way and the CSK insured in my name!

We made good progress down the country and as we pushed around the M25 it began to get dark. It was about this time the "sensible voice" that had been dormant until now decided to pipe up. I hadn't seen any photos of this CSK, I didn't even know if there was a CSK or just an advert and here I was driving half way down the country in the dark on a Saturday night.

Finally we started to get close, the A road became a single track lane, which turned into a dirt track. We pulled onto the drive and there she was, a CSK!

Money exchanged, spare wheels were loaded into the back and coffee was provided! David and his wife turned out to be very decent folk. We then set off back up the motorway to Derbyshire. Considering I'd just bought this CSK unseen it drove OK, the clutch was more than a little ropey it seemed to miss at high revs and the ABS light was on, but it went quite well and got us home without issue.

So, if you've read this far then you're probably wondering when I'm going to mention the car itself.

CSK no.120 is a manual. It's had a new headlining, new bumpers and has been treated to a full S/S sports exhaust. It's rotten in all the usual places and is going to be subject to a total rebuild, which I will document here.

For those that don't know what the CSK is, allow me...

to mark the 20th anniversary of the Range Rover, Land Rover decided to build a run of 200 "special" 2 door models (2 door production had stopped about 4 years beforehand). These were all fitted with a full set of perforated leather seats in beige, matching leather door and cheek cards and beige carpets. The suspension was uprated with large ARB's front and rear.

They fitted the 3.9 EFi Rover V8 and an upgraded ECU, chrome bumpers and extra spot lamps on the bumper.

In essence is was a "GTi" version of the top of the range Vogue SE model in a 2 door body shell.

more info here http://www.rangerovercsk.com/technical.html

A few photos for you;

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0128-1386577109.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

Whilst this may look OK from the outside I knew it was hiding some pretty epic rust, put it up on the ramps to have a look and found the following;

Front wings and mounts shot
A posts shot
Footwells shot
Inner and outer sills shot
Front body mounts gone
Boot floor shot
Rear x-member shot

That was expected, so a strip down began.

Associate
OP
Started to strip the car apart, only to uncover more lovely rust;

IMG_0180.JPG

I'm sure there should be a B-post here

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

N/S rear wing removed
rear bumper removed
headlining removed - this seems to be a GRP replacement but will need recovering as it's starting to come free in a few places
All ECUs removed
Tailgates removed
Rear windows removed
C-pillar trim removed
bottom of dash and TX tunnel sound proofing removed
gear stick and gaitors removed

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

Sunday was spent removing all the body mounts, radiator and various bits from the inner wings, disconnecting various wiring and cutting through flexible hoses till we got to the stage where we could do this;

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

Found a few holes in the top of the chassis but nothing major, certainly easy to patch. Fuel tank is aluminium, I would guess the capacity is lower than the steel or plastic equivalent but since I'm fitting LPG this is no biggie to me, might help keep the weight down!

Associate
OP
cleaning and painting the front axle and a few other bits and fitting polybushes to the parts that required them.

IMG_0457.JPG

rear axle was stripped down, cleaned and painted. The remaining parts were cleaned off and the axles were slowly assembled and mounted on the chassis.

20110416_002.jpg

20110416_003.jpg

I fitted the old front and rear hubs back on, some of the bits I ordered hadn't turned up (namely the S/S pistons for the brakes).

I then put some new rubbers onto the only 4 body mounts that hadn't rotted off entirely and dropped the body back onto the refreshed chassis.
IMG_0464.JPG

stripped the rest of the front wings off and then I cut one off ;)

front headlamp sections were welded together;

20110418_001.jpg

20110418_003.jpg

Front wings removed, holes uncovered and cleaned up and patched. Body mounts were fabricated and welded on
20110422_001.jpg

20110422_005.jpg

Headlamp sections were bolted down, bonnet slam panel is bolted in position for the moment (I could leave this bolted or I can weld it back, currently undecided). One of the completed inner wings was offered into place and trimmed to fit before being welded in place;

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

Associate
OP
Front wings were finished off and roughly painted in whatever I had laying about to keep the rain off them;

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

These are going to need sanding back before getting a proper coat of paint but the idea was to get a coat of something on them rather than to make them pretty :)

Attention then turned to what was left of the O/S sill section. The remaining metal work was removed at the sacrifice of several cutting discs and the new sections trial fitted;

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

These were then welded together in what I hope is the right shape and offered back up to the car, the floor was cut back till all the rot was gone. This was fairly easy to fit as both the A post and B post were pretty far gone so were removed with the sill allowing me to slide it into place and bolt it back down onto new mountings before being welded into place.

Attention then turned to the A-post and B-post. I had a 2-door repair panel for the A post so that eased the rebuild slightly but the B-post was a little more difficult, I had purchased some B-post repair panels but they were very wrong. Armed with some cardboard and a pencil I constructed something that I hope is correct;

purchased B-post repair;

IMG_0604.JPG

what I hope it's supposed to look like;

IMG_0570.JPG

the whole lot was dressed back with a sanding disk and grinder before being covered in red-oxide;

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

Attention was then turned to the sill on the other side, while the B-post on this side was mostly still there the A post had vanished further up the bulkhead so reconstruction was going to be a PITA. The supplied A-post panels only provided the outer-skin and not the internal hinge mounts, tubes etc.

Sill was ripped out and damage surveyed;

IMG_0574.JPG

Replacement sill was welded up and wrestled into place, B post welded on and A-post repairs were started. The parts of the footwell that could be repaired were done so, once all the rot has been removed from the top the body is coming back off and being turned onto it's side so welding repairs can be completed underneath and it can all be cleaned up.

once again the whole lot was covered in red-oxide;

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

Moving back from the B posts it was time to look at the side panels, wheel arches, rear X-member and rear floor.

Before I started they looked like this;

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

As previously mentioned I was unable to find the repair sections for the back end so set about cutting out the rot and letting new metal in. The replacement steel is a lot thicker so should add some more strength. It's not the prettiest looking job but at the end of the day it's hidden. The panels I got from YRM were cut and shaped. I had to fashion a flange for the end closest to the tailgate in the style of the old floor.

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG

The new rear X member means that every body mounting is now new :)
IMG_0618.JPG

The Discovery rear floor is shorter than the Range Rover one, I could have bought an ally one but am fairly sure I can make this fit with the addition of some strapping across the rear of the floor. I got 4x crossmembers with the new floor but am convinced I only need 3, the two angled ones that sit on the chassis stand-offs and one more towards the back, the Disco ones seem to have bolts welded to them though?

IMG_0616.JPG

Anyway, here's the floor rested in place so you get an idea of how it all looks

IMG_0617.JPG

Associate
OP
Rear floor is in, underneath all tidied up / seam-sealed and undersealed.
IMG_0679.JPG

Made a wheel-well for the spare

IMG_0685.JPG

The finished the underseal;

IMG_0689.JPG

Whilst I a wheel laying about from the wheel-well I thought I'd take a stupid photo;

IMG_0684.JPG

Lasty the chassis has been built, good diff in the rear. Front ARB fitted. Hubs rebuilt and brake discs fitted. Also dropped the fuel tank in.

IMG_0690.JPG

The engine was rebuilt with new shells/cam/followers/timing chain/seals/water pump/head gaskets (inc bolts) and pieced back together. Flywheel and spigot bush added. (I had ordered a spigot bush earlier in the week but, despite ordering a LOT of rover v8 parts the supplier decided to send a bush for a 200/300/TD5?!). A trip to paddocks sorted that out.

IMG_0743.JPG

The gearbox (LT77S) was given a wash down and the new clutch components fitted. I drove the car about 150 miles before strip down and the gearbox itself was spot on so didn't feel the need to do anything with this, it's an easy thing to drop out if needs be at a later date. This was dropped in to the chassis and the engine followed suit.

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

Props/steering box/exhaust/fuel lines and then a heavy coat of waxoyl followed. Axle/t-box/g-box fluids were all refreshed and then the body was dropped back for what I hope to be the last time.

IMG_0768.JPG

I attacked the back of the S/S exhaust with the make-shiney attachment in the drill, went from this;

20110617_001.jpg

to this;

20110617_002.jpg

Finished the welding on the windscreen surround and A-posts and put the tubes in for the door hinges;

20110624_006.jpg

replaced the hinges on the doors and hung them, they fit! I was a little worried after replacing the sills and the
A/B posts there would be issues, they fit like a glove though :)

20110624_004.jpg

20110624_009.jpg

the inner wings front and rear were painted with underseal to try and stave off madam rust, the whole lot is going to
be smothered in waxoyl once the painting has been completed too.

20110624_008.jpg

Brakes plumbed and wired, apart from the ABS Stop Light Switch. The dog knocked the pedal box over in the garage and snapped it off already ordered a new one from Land Rover. Tried a pattern part one years ago and it was useless.

Fitted the rest of the exhaust pipe, now all shiny :)

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

The clutch was plumbed with a new flexi and AP/Lockheed master cylinder.

A-posts were painted and the windscreen fitted.

Roof painted and fitted along with replacement rear wiper motor.

New heater resistor pack fitted.

Doors painted and fitted.

Bottom tailgate painted and fitted.

Top tailgate fitted loosely to keep weather out. I have a alluminium one and a genuine one, both could be made to very good condition with a little work but I'm undecided on which to fit. I'm probably going to fit the genuine one once I have made it work with central locking unless anyone can think of a good reason why not?

The rear of the car inside has been painted and the rear windows were fitted.

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

I also fitted the inlet manifold that came with the AG SGi LPG kit I bought, it wasn't till I'd torqued down the last bolt when the realisation that the inlet was for a multi-belt engine and not a serpentine as I fitted. That was a little annoying. I now need to find a tap and tapping drill for the LPG injectors, once I work out what the thread actually is.

Associate
OP
I've avoided buying new panels for the time being and tried to repair what I had. There aren't many "before" photos, I forgot :/

The rear wings were welded by a friend with a fancy TIG :)
The rear quarter panels had patches welded in and bashed back into shape.
Front wings were cleaned up and had glass-fibre matting put behind any hole to strengthen it

All sections had acid-etch sprayed on, copious amounts of filler thrown at them before a few layers of high-build. They were all then sprayed with the Beluga Black celly top coat.

The photos;

20110731_001.jpg

20110729_001.jpg

20110729_003.jpg

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

And finally

IMG_1020.JPG

Also my new wheels arrived;

2011-08-19%2013.54.51.jpg

Fired the engine up, starts and runs fine. Bled the clutch this morning and drove it up and onto the ramps! Felt good to have her move under her own steam.

Fitted centre console, handbrake, rebuilt most of the dashboard and put in the drivers seat..

Bled the brakes, they're a PITA on these. Had to swap out the pressure pump as it seems the one I fitted was faulty :/

Side skirts are on and I've been creating the ties to keep the wings in place. Hope to finish off underneath tomorrow and get the new wheels fitted (looking forward to that bit).

2011-08-20%2019.40.35.jpg

bought some wood to remake the bottom doorcards and need to adjust the top ones so they sit flush on the doors properly. Whilst they're apart I'm going to fit speakers and do the rest of the audio kit.

Have also been bust cutting/polishing/waxing the panels. Started with the rear tailgate, I think it's come out ok...

Also fitted the CSK and Range Rover decals, makes a big difference. Might have to get a set of mudflaps though.

20110825_001.jpg

MOT passed, road tax applied for. Finished the cutting and polishing and applied coach lines;

2011-08-29%25252018.02.40.jpg

2011-08-29%25252018.03.06.jpg

2011-08-29%25252018.03.22.jpg

The inside is very nearly finished, just the audio gear left to fit really :)

2011-08-29%25252018.04.10.jpg

2011-08-29%25252018.01.01.jpg

2011-08-29%25252018.01.14.jpg

2011-08-29%25252018.02.18.jpg

And this is where I currently am, bringing it home tonight. Have purchased a new battery and a full set of audio. Alarm being fitted tomorrow AM.

Hope this hasn't proved to be a fruitless post and someone enjoys reading it.

Associate
OP
Wow that is one serious project. Awesome work my friend.

Is it worth it though...?

Money I've spent on purchase and parts is still less than a predicted resale, I now also have a very rare classic Range Rover in rust free condition with almost entirely new mechanicals.

To give a rough estimate of what these sell for;

rough condition, probably very rotten underneath http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2563849.htm

Supposedly immaculate and very low mileage http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C2204831

Even if we assume these prices are fairly over inflated (the more than likely are) a half rebuilt project sold recently for £10K.

I haven't spent anything near those prices on this rebuild.

Soldato
im not a fan of 4x4s normally but this thread is epic due to 80s loveliness, 2dr range rover, total rebuild, love it!

Back
Top Bottom