Graphics card problem? or is it something else?

Associate
Hey guys earlier I was playing crysis 2 on Extreme settings with my rig (check sig for details) and i'm using all the latest graphics drivers etc and while in game the graphics started to tear ...

By tearing I mean i got half of the walls appearing as red lines and the outline of my gun was red, and you would have random polygons when you turned around.

What causes this? is it a graphics card problem? or maybe a power supply issue?

Thanks guys! :)

Associate
OP
Does it happen in any other games?

On another note, I don't like the look of your PSU...

Occasionally after long periods of gameplay ...

Also the GPU is running at stock speeds, no O/C...

Also everybody says they don't like my PSU but its never given me any problems and I can overclock my CPU easily without problems with it ...

Soldato
Well at the moment it looks like a GPU problem. I would run memtest to rule out the RAM. Also, the PSU may be fine powering the CPU even when overclocked but it may not be able to give the GPU enough power once it reaches a certain temperature from the looks of things. I'm suspecting this may be the problem.

Associate
OP
Well at the moment it looks like a GPU problem. I would run memtest to rule out the RAM. Also, the PSU may be fine powering the CPU even when overclocked but it may not be able to give the GPU enough power once it reaches a certain temperature from the looks of things. I'm suspecting this may be the problem.

I had the 5870's fan on 100% during gameplay to keep down temps when it happened ... I was thinking of getting a 850W corsair PSU ... would that be enough?

Soldato
If you don't plan on crossfire then this will be more than enough: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-055-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Otherwise the 850w Corsair is a brilliant choice for crossfire/SLi.

iCute tends to have a reputation of using cheap components, hence they usually don't give the stated power. Hopefully this is the cause of the problem... But it's best to check everything else. Get that memtest done, and see if you can try the card in another system to check it's fine. Another method is to do a fresh install of Windows on a spare drive to rule out any software problems as well.

Associate
OP
If you don't plan on crossfire then this will be more than enough: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-055-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=

Otherwise the 850w Corsair is a brilliant choice for crossfire/SLi.

iCute tends to have a reputation of using cheap components, hence they usually don't give the stated power. Hopefully this is the cause of the problem... But it's best to check everything else. Get that memtest done, and see if you can try the card in another system to check it's fine. Another method is to do a fresh install of Windows on a spare drive to rule out any software problems as well.

Thanks for your help :)

This is my rig ...
307349_10150797892545104_886580103_20701067_2128726088_n.jpg

I'm looking something modular, powerful and cheap (not too cheap though!) :)

Back
Top Bottom