Driving Force GT (DFGT) v Thrustmaster F430 - mini review.

Soldato
This mini review has come about because I was looking to buy a steering wheel as a gift and wanted to spend under £100.

Recommendations across the net swayed between the two steering wheels in the topic, I opted to purchase both wheels and find out for myself which was better and here's the result!

Tested in F1 2011 and iRacing.

Driving Force GT aka DFGT

First impressions are good, the wheel is solid with no play and feels weighty when handling from the box.

In use the wheel itself has a similar feel to the G25/27 with strong force feedback, unfortunately in the same way the G25/27 feel light so does the DFGT. It's as if you have a heavily power assisted car that you can steer with your little finger, some people like this, I'm a racer and I'd prefer more weight.

The money clearly went in to the wheel because the pedals are very poor, they're light to the touch and there's slack in the pedals that make them feel even worse. Sure you can make do and after a while you get used to them, but they detract from the experience.

The other poor point to this wheel is the awful shifter 'button's. No paddles. The buttons are clearly a cost-cutting exercise, they're small and awkward to press, they really let the design of the package down and I'm not sure I could live with them.

Pro's:
- solid feel to the finish of the wheel
- no play in the wheel bearing
- ample buttons
- small footprint
- Logitech's tried and testing clamping
- 900' steering lock
- communicative and strong force feedback

Con's:
- pedals are very light to the touch, no feel
- brake has too much slack, about half an inch of travel
- paddle shifters are poor, cost cutting exercise design
- a minor complaint for some is the soft steering, no weight

Thrustmaster F430

I thought the DFGT felt solid out the box but the F430 is a step beyond, it's bigger and heavier giving the impression of solid build. As soon as you turn the wheel you feel the weight/resistance of the gearing inside, initially this is quite an odd contract if you're used to Logitech kit but once driving it comes in to it's own.

The steering wheel although similar to the DFGT felt more comfortable in my hand and was much better weighted with a less aggressive more subtle force feedback effect. The actual weight of the steering feel transformed the on screen, it felt closer to reality than the DFGT which was like driving an over assisted town car.

In reality the DFGT isn't bad per se, it's just not as good as the F430 - that said if you've not tried the heavier feel F430 you'd more than likely be happy with the DFGT!

Another two things I really like about the F430 is the fact you get metal pedals and paddle shifters, but a cost effective wheel these are great additions and they make the whole package feel solid. The shifters are great, big and tactile.

Clamp is good, metal inserts so the plastic doesn't crack, not sure if I prefer it to the DFGT, it's different but they both work well!

The pedals however have too small a footplate which means unless you're in a relatively upright position they can lift under braking because the brake pedal is stiff. Stiff is good, it's better than the DFGT, it isn't so good when the pedal set is too small and light to balance that!

When it comes to build the unit and pedals feel solid, the weighted feel, the wheel, the pedals, the shifters and the bearing. However there is one discrepancy in this otherwise solid performance, the peripheral buttons that are dotted around the wheel, they're clearly rather cheap and not very tactile - a mute point for some and not a deal breaker.

Finally the lack of 900' rotation might be an issue for some but in most games ~300' is plenty, particularly F1. Games that will be hindered are those that require drifting and hence more lock, I can't be arsed with drifting so I don't need that lock!

Pro's:
- overall quality of the unit
- solid steering feel and performance
- weighted feel to steering and pedals
- metal shifters that are large and sturdy
- aesthetically pleasing
- metal insert clamp
- no play/slack in pedals or wheel

Cons:
- lack of rotation compared to DFGT
- footplate quite small, prone to lifting under braking
- you have to left foot brake because of the above
- cheap feel to the periphery buttons

It's probably obvious from the above comments but for me the Thrustmaster F430 wins by quite a margin, not only is it nicer to drive, has a better overall quality and looks more aesthetically pleasing, I also found it for less money than the DFGT.

That said if the F430 wasn't available you'd have to say that under £100 for the DFGT still represents good value for a relatively rounded and very useable product.

I hope people find this mini review helpful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought the opposite. Tried both and prefered the DFGT. Each to their own i guess though. :p

Care to expand on why? :)

Like I say the steering feel and weight is quite different that you'll be swayed one way or the other!

(but I still can't forgive the awful pedals and paddle buttons on the DFGT)

Associate
I'm curious about both these wheels, but I also noticed preorders for the Thrustmaster F458 wheel for £70ish. At this pricepoint, I assume its the direct replacement for the F430 wheel?

Associate
The paddle shifters (or lack of) on the DFGT was the deal breaker for me so I got the F430, loving it.

A velcro strip on the underside of the pedal board, running along the edge nearest your feet does the job of keeping it planted.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I actually prefered the buttons on the DFGT! I thought they were much better placed and very easy to use.

I felt the thrustmaster ones were a bit on the big and cumbersome side.

Associate
Interesting. i agree with the overly light pedals of the dfgt so i cut up some ball shaped stress squeezers and stuck them under them.

it makes them progressively firmer to press and aids quite nicely.

If you don't mind can you take some picture's please, i would like to do some thing similar to my DFGT wheel as well. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
OP
The paddle shifters (or lack of) on the DFGT was the deal breaker for me so I got the F430, loving it.

A velcro strip on the underside of the pedal board, running along the edge nearest your feet does the job of keeping it planted.

I actually prefered the buttons on the DFGT! I thought they were much better placed and very easy to use.

I felt the thrustmaster ones were a bit on the big and cumbersome side.

Good idea with the Velcro strip, will do that!

I just had another go on the DFGT and asked my bemused girlfriend to try, her complaining and lack of finesse aside she also found the 'paddles' rubbish - her words.

This is the first time she's ever played a racing game let alone tried a wheel and pedals.

She's a petite thing with hands in proportion (you know what they say about small hands - small gloves), I'd suggest my hands are about average for a man and we both prefer the metal shifters on the F430.

Ok she's not best placed to product test, quite frankly she looked perplexed, but it proves a point about the shifters!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good idea with the Velcro strip, will do that!

I just had another go on the DFGT and asked my bemused girlfriend to try, her complaining and lack of finesse aside she also found the 'paddles' rubbish - her words.

This is the first time she's ever played a racing game let alone tried a wheel and pedals.

She's a petite thing with hands in proportion (you know what they say about small hands - small gloves), I'd suggest my hands are about average for a man and we both prefer the metal shifters on the F430.

Ok she's not best placed to product test, quite frankly she looked perplexed, but it proves a point about the shifters!

It proves two peoples opinion on the shifters yes. :p

Soldato
OP
It proves two peoples opinion on the shifters yes. :p

Oh come on they're blatantly a cost cutting exercise, look at how they're made for a start!

They aren't even shifters anyway. ;)

Seeing as this is all very subjective I'm taking both wheels round to my nephew to see which he wants. His mother says an early gift is ok, which is code for thanks that'll keep him occupied whilst I have a few gins...

Caporegime
If you don't mind can you take some picture's please, i would like to do some thing similar to my DFGT wheel as well. Thanks in advance.

Ill take some later and show you! other peope on other forums have used springy rope type thing and used that to leverage against the pegal depression, but i find my cheap cut up stress squeezers do a job!

Soldato
How much of a hassle is it to set these wheels up for use?

I often play my racing games in short bursts (under 30 minutes). How much hassle would it be to setu p the wheel 2 or 3 times a day?

Soldato
OP
How much of a hassle is it to set these wheels up for use?

I often play my racing games in short bursts (under 30 minutes). How much hassle would it be to setu p the wheel 2 or 3 times a day?

Do as I do and leave the cables connected to the power and PC hanging off the back of your desk (I have a stick on clip hidden away so they're easily accessible), then all you have to do is clamp the wheel to the desk and plug it in.

My pedals remain under the desk just slid to one side under the draws out of view.

For me it literally takes 2 minutes, no great shakes really. :)

Soldato
Had the F430 for a couple of days and so far am massively impressed! Never had a wheel before so still getting used to it.

Can somebody post their settings for the F430 wheel in F1 2011. I've played around with it a little but just can't get it quite right I think.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
This is my setup:

Steering deadzone - 1%
Steering saturation - %15
Steering linearity - 1%
Throttle deadzone - 0%
Throttle saturation - 10%
Brake deadzone - 0%
Brake saturation - 10%

This makes you use the full 300' steering without it being twitchy, nice and smooth.

FFB strength at 60%, 50% for wheel and environmental.

I found the throttle on the G27, DFGT and F430 to have the same issue so I blame the game - it's quite tricky to modulate past 50% pedal (feels on/off) but you get used to it.

Associate
Steering deadzone - 0%
Steering saturation - %15
Steering linearity - 20%
Throttle deadzone - 5%
Throttle saturation - 0%
Brake deadzone - 5%
Brake saturation - 0%

Back
Top Bottom