• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

vtx3d rma??

Associate
Had my new vtx 6950 for just under 2 months now (not from OC), getting constant hard freezes, the exact same thing, requires me to power down pc.
Old saphire 5770 runs fine with no issues. Tried both pci slots in mobo, all different types of drivers and its still the same. Deus ex was quite bad for the hard freezes, put it down to the game, fired up BF3 beta and the same hard freeze within 10 mins. Any load the gfx card gets put under and it freezes.

Not confident i will even get a response from vtx3d themselves, nevermind an address to send my card to them. Phoning them is out of the question as the only phone number on their site is TAIWAN !!

Card was a nice price of £190 inc p+p but i wish i never set eyes on the poxy thing now.

Will give them a week to reply, after that, i will remove the card and stick a sledgehammer thro it.

Has anybody any idea if vtx have any european contact info? UK would be best but i'll take anything i can get.

If i do end up smashing my 6950 into a million pieces, what should i get? Anything upto £400 is within range

Caporegime
Have you always had these problems?

What make and model of power supply are you using?

If it is faulty then within the first 12 months you return it to the retailer you bought it from and let them sort it out.

Associate
OP
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-115-AN

Pretty good PSU in all fairness, PSU was bought around january 2010, that was from OC.
Had these problems from day 1 of installing 6950, had a hard freeze just using the desktop on day 1. Then nothing until i got Deus EX HR, then all these issues became more frequent. Tried Dirt 3, same issue and Battlefield 3 beta.

Done a fresh install, hoping this would help but no joy. Every freeze is identical, picture freezes and whatever sound is playing at the time, same thing.

Sapphire 5770 vapor-x, old card, no issues whatsoever.

Will have to wait and see what response i get but i am preparing myself for the worst.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Will have to wait and see what response i get but i am preparing mjyself for the worst.

There's no point in waiting for a response from VTX.

The retailer you bought it from is legally responsible for the first twelve months.

If it's faulty it's up to them to repair, replace or refund.

Associate
OP
Dropped my cpu overclock and have played bf3 beta with no issues so far, might not have been sending enough voltage for the overclock.

Progress appears to have been made.
Just hope i havent jinxed myself with that last statement.

Will continue to play and see if i get the hard freeze.

Associate
OP
Had received a message from the retailer after i notified them that my underpowered cpu overclock was causing my gfx card freeze and they said this :

" Thank you for your email, I am gald you have made head way. Its best to leave overclocking alone, placing a graphic card into an overclock motherboard will void your warranty on your graphics card. " (spelling left as i got it) :)

Surely this guy ( or girl ) is talking thro their butt hole? Not really sure, googling doesnt help as i only get posts about overclocked gfx card voiding warranty.
Just sounds like this company are trying to stop me returning card within the 1st 12 months if anything does crop up with the gfx card.

Anybody confirm what appears to a grey area?

Soldato
Had received a message from the retailer after i notified them that my underpowered cpu overclock was causing my gfx card freeze and they said this :

" Thank you for your email, I am gald you have made head way. Its best to leave overclocking alone, placing a graphic card into an overclock motherboard will void your warranty on your graphics card. " (spelling left as i got it) :)

Surely this guy ( or girl ) is talking thro their butt hole? Not really sure, googling doesnt help as i only get posts about overclocked gfx card voiding warranty.
Just sounds like this company are trying to stop me returning card within the 1st 12 months if anything does crop up with the gfx card.

Anybody confirm what appears to a grey area?

not heard that excuse before :confused:

Associate
"into an overclock motherboard" .... lol! Something my mum would say.

Maybe their referring to northbridge/IOH voltage? who know's

I've certainly never been asked if I've overclocked any other part of my PC when trying to RMA a graphics card.

Associate
OP
Cant find anything on web about this particular issue but to have a link that confirms or denies that " placing a graphic card into an overclock motherboard will void your warranty on your graphics card " statement would be very useful.
I'm just happy that i found out what was causing the freezes, as it was really doing my head in :)

C64

C64

Soldato
Cant find anything on web about this particular issue but to have a link that confirms or denies that " placing a graphic card into an overclock motherboard will void your warranty on your graphics card " statement would be very useful.
I'm just happy that i found out what was causing the freezes, as it was really doing my head in :)

Don't worry about all that nonsense they cant prove a thing and quite frankly powercolor and vtx etc don't deserve anyones custom with their non existent rma services.

Associate
OP
Don't worry about all that nonsense they cant prove a thing and quite frankly powercolor and vtx etc don't deserve anyones custom with their non existent rma services.

Had this response from vtx3d

" Tks for using VTX3D Product. Please kindly provide Serial number labeled on the card. It looks like this one: “PGxxxxxxxxx”

The fastest way to process RMA is to return the card to the shop or etailer you purchase from. If you can’t reach them, I will use the Serial number to contact local partner and check the warranty shortly.

You’re very welcome to reach me if there is any question or problem.

Best Regards "

But yeah, contact information is in Taiwan.
Price was too good to turn down at £190 inc p+p.
Mixed opinions on vtx3d all over the web.

Soldato
If it's too good to be true, it probably is. It's almost never worth skimping or going for the cheapest one. An extra 20 quid will mean the difference between a week and a decade's worth of performance.

Associate
OP
If it's too good to be true, it probably is. It's almost never worth skimping or going for the cheapest one. An extra 20 quid will mean the difference between a week and a decade's worth of performance.

OC were and are still selling them at £200 not inculding p+p so i didnt see an issue. OC are even listed on vtx3d site as a place to buy. Gfx card was brand new.
I know OC selling them doesnt mean that they are great cards but it must count for something surely??

Soldato
I have recently tried to contact VTX3D with no success. The retailer has the responsibility of taking this on, and I believe the advertised warranty term was 2 years, for which the retailer is responsible. OcUK, for example, will tell you it's nothing to do with them after 12 months, but in reality (and legality), it completely is. In fact, it's nothing to do with the manufacturer at all so I wouldn't waste your time with them. Retailers try to fob you off as they don't want to absorb the costs and time of returning faulty products when the manufacturer also offers the service. They will also claim it takes less time to replace or repair with the manufacturer. In fact, a lot of retailers will actually just replace yours out of their current inventory with a new item and sell the RMA part as B-grade, or if they get a brand new replacement, new. They don't have to do that though.

Tell the retailer to take it back. Next time your experience may be better with a more reliable brand of card (to avoid this situation in the first place and have better support options). ASUS seem to make reliable and good quality graphics cards.

Soldato
As above, that's the retailer's responsibility anyway, so you shouldn't have to worry too much if it has a decent warranty period (2-3 years plus). ASUS are fine for RMA anyway, they will reply to emails and won't disappear overnight, that's all you really need.

Associate
OP
Tell the retailer to take it back. Next time your experience may be better with a more reliable brand of card (to avoid this situation in the first place and have better support options). ASUS seem to make reliable and good quality graphics cards.

I posted earlier that i found out what the issue was, i had tested my overclocked cpu with 5770, got just enough voltage for it to be stable, which was quite a while ago, bought a 6950 and just swapped the gfx cards over.

I completely forgot about my overclock, 6950 uses quite a bit more juice to run than the 5770 and pretty much straight away, i had freezing issues.

I dropped the overclock and havent had a single freeze since. So, touch wood, it appears that it was my underpowered overclock that was causing the issues.

Havent tried a new overclocked cpu with the 6950, might do it this weekend, will be interesting to see if my 6950 likes my cpu with any overclock at all.

Back
Top Bottom