Gentle Typhoons (are very meh, dissapointed) back to Enermax Magmas

Soldato
FIRSTLY

Anyone who has researched fans will have heard of GTs, supposed to be low noise for the air they put out.

This may well be true.

However noise as measured by a meter doesn't care less what the tone of the noise is, just the volume of it. The most annoying squeal will still be rated lower than a dull drone if the volume is lower.

BASICALLY

Replaced a setup of 4 x Enermax Magma 1600rpm with 4 x Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm

In both cases the fans were undervolted to spin at ~1200rpm.

Temps are pretty much the same.

However the noise is more annoying. It might well be quieter to a meter but it's more annoying.

COMPARE FOR YOURSELF:

Enermax Magma setup @ ~1200rpm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeleJ6nZruk

Gentle Typhoon setup @ ~1200rpm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8burxOfe5TM

The occasional chirping is the camera not the computer or fans :o

CONCLUSION

I don't feel sore about trying the GTs but now I know that tone not just a metered noise level is very important.

Temperatures were basically the same for both but I was hoping for a quieter rig not a cooler one.

Gentle Typhoons will be kicked out. Enermax Magmas will replace them.

Anyone thinking of getting Gentle Typhoons, well you can listen to the recordings I made above and decide for yourself.

Soldato
I agree with you. Those Typhoons are much higher pitched which is not a comfortable sound.
I have had much the same experience with Noctua fans. The P-12 is apprently louder than the S-12B if you go by the rated dba however IRL the P-12 is a much smoother sounding fan so to your ears it is much quieter. Its funny that.

Soldato
Not used the enermax but having just fitted GT's to my system I was very impressed and the only sound I can now here at full speed is my graphics card :/.

Soldato
Agree with you Hotwired. I have 3 1450RPM's on my Rad.
However - due to their excellent static performance - I've found that I can throttle them down to a maximum 1000rpm - the 'whine' becomes much more 'ear friendly' and I get exactly the same cooling ability as them pushing through 1450RPM

Might just be my setup - but worth a try ;)

Soldato
OP
How much air is it pushing though

Gentle Typhoon @ 1450rpm is 28CFM through a rad
Gentle Typhoon @ 1200rpm is 21.5CFM through a rad

Enermax Magma @ 1600rpm is 30.5CFM through a rad
Enermax Magma @ 1200rpm is 21.8CFM through a rad

As you can see, basically the same CFM when they are at the same RPM.

Numbers not pulled from my ass, I'm taking them from the following comparison by martin at xtremesystems:

Whole thread: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...0mm-Fan-Testing-on-an-MCR120-Radiator-Round-6

Videoed tests:

Enermax Magma: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzGeL01YhmM

Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuj7GZqNpOs

Try them on a PWM fan controller or splitter a lot of fans whine etc when undervolted
They'll be fine on PWM the noise is created do the fan motor not produce its full amount of torque when undervolted putting strain on the motor.

No, it still makes that noise, just louder on a full 12v.

Also they are 3 pin fans.

Associate
One thing to note when looking at the noise characteristics of fans is orientation. Many fans sound much better mounted vertically than horizontally. I know for instance that a couple of my slient eagles sound terrible when at full wack mounted horizintally but mount them vertically and the noise goes away.

Soldato
OP
One thing to note when looking at the noise characteristics of fans is orientation. Many fans sound much better mounted vertically than horizontally. I know for instance that a couple of my slient eagles sound terrible when at full wack mounted horizintally but mount them vertically and the noise goes away.

They are all mounted vertically. You can hear the noise in ANY GT video.

What does this show? Its a newer review but the same fans and a different user.

I linked the much more thorough reviews above because they show properly measured readings of noise, cfm, rpm.

Associate
I've had experience with the GT's and found them no better or worse than any other fans regarding noise. The issue is ultimatley subjective some people can get annoyed by certain frequencies more than others. My bug bear is clicking fans but I don't mind a low consistent woosh.

I've tried countless and never found a fan that was perfect,they all have their own peculiarities. The only solution to make any fan run silent is to run it at less than 500rpm, which I do, 90% of fans at that level are going to be indestinguishable from background noise.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The noise in his test is different to that terrible video you linked to where you can barely hear a thing.

Do you bark at dog whistles also?

Turn up the volume if you have hearing problems?

/sniping :rolleyes:

The noise in that test is of fans laid flat on a table. Blowing into it. Without the other fan I'm talking about under the same conditions to compare to.

My clips are quiet for various reasons but it's unedited and recorded from a camera on top of the case. Which I'd call a reasonable place to record from.

The comparison clips I linked are against a radiator and the voltage is raised from 0 to 12v along the clip which is why it may sound very quiet.

C64

C64

Soldato
I have 2 Gentle Typhoon 1850 @12v on my DH14 and they sound better than the 2 enermax magmas i had on before plus i get better temps.

You should get thermalright ty-14's when they get back in stock they are fantastic which other fans have you tried on the d14 ? I take it you have obviously tried the fans it came with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom