Offer of employment withdrawal, how should I appeal?

Associate
I was offered a job from Vodafone not to long ago, I signed the contract etc. and I was going through the security checks.

Now last Friday I received a phone call saying that I could be starting on the Monday, if I was they would contact me ASAP, however as that could be unlikely they just warned me I would be starting very soon, pending one last verification check from the security watchdog.

I received an email today saying the offer of employment has been withdrawn "due to variance in attendance dates" at the college I went to, I had been asked questions to give evidence about a gap of unemployment from September 2009-September 2010 when I was questioning going to University/College or moving up north (I moved up North).

The problem for me is what "due to variance in attendance dates" means, when I was at the college I passed my A Level that I was doing there (Was going others at another college) and everything went fine and dandy.

Now I'm not sure what the problem is nor can I find out, I emailed the person back who sent me the letter but I was told she cannot deal with this and the only way I can sort this out is by sending an appeal, however, I'm not sure what I should A. Be appealing for exactly as I don't know what the problem is or B. What to actually write in this appeal.

Does anyone have an ideas? I'm completely devastated as I was told I would be starting very soon, and I have no idea what the problem is, as far as I know the only way to contact the people that actually know what the problem is is through post, I have no numbers or contact details at all, the address listed is the same as Vodafone's head office I think, all I need to know is what the problem is exactly so I know what I'm appealing for.

If anyone has any advice or anything at all I'd be really grateful.

Man of Honour
You told them you went to colllege between Date X and Date Y.

The college have told them something different.

They've decided you lied and would rather you didnt work for them.

Were your dates correct?

Soldato
Why do these crap companies with crap jobs put such ridiculous high requirements such as (employment gaps), so you were out of work for 1 year? Big whoop.

Soldato
they are possibly legally liable but want a way out, or they just chickened out.

not sure if this is remotely correct though.

Normally they would ask for clarification, I would have thought unless it was a really big lie.

Associate
OP
I'm pretty sure the information I gave them was correct, if it didn't match why not just ask me why? If my dates were wrong and they thought I was a liar it seems stupid to make that judgement based on a different date of college I put.

I'm just really confused/upset etc. it just seems so rash.

Soldato
I'm pretty sure the information I gave them was correct, if it didn't match why not just ask me why? If my dates were wrong and they thought I was a liar it seems stupid to make that judgement based on a different date of college I put.

I'm just really confused/upset etc. it just seems so rash.

Dude companies like this aren't even worth working for any way.

I have a friend who works in Vodafone, you'll just spend your whole day reading credit agreements while no one is listening any way.

Permabanned
Write and ask for clarification of the reason why the offer was withdrawn and begin to look elsewhere for a job. It is extremely unlikely they will change their decision on appeal as I suspect that the job has been filled or will shortly be filled by someone else.

I find it difficult to believe that the offer was withdrawn simply because of a minor discrepancy in College attendence dates, I would certain get clarification of that for future reference.

Associate
OP
@franco I really need the job, as far as I was aware I got the job as they told me.

@Castiel The job I was offered was not advertised, I had applied for a different job but they liked me so they offered me a better role with more money and hours. I doubt it would have been filled, but who knows.
My main concern is I can only seem to contact them by this appeal, there seems to be no mention of "if you have any questions relating to this" etc.

Needless to say I was looking forward to starting and I guess I will fight for my place.

Permabanned
The issue I would be concerned with is if they offered you this position because they were impressed with you when you applied for another lesser position they must either have more concerns about your potentional liability to them other than just some minor date discrepencies in your college attendence.

I suspect that the position has either been filled by someone in the interim period or there is something more serious showing up in their security procedures.

By all means appeal their decision, however I doubt that you will succede in overturning it. I would put it down to experience and begin looking elsewhere rather than spending time waiting for a positive outcome.

What was the specific position? And if you dont mind me asking what is your nationality and are of British extraction?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I am English, the position was technical advisor, originally it was sales advisor, if I was replaced then they wouldn't have told me I would be starting on the Monday then. But oh well.

I don't know then tbh, it seems very strange that date discrpencies would be a disqualifer especially as you were not asked for confirmation of the information they recieved.

Man of Honour
Not much help to you but that sort of stand-offish attitude would really annoy me as well (not explaining the reason why).

One option in the interim might be to contact the college and ask them what information they would provide if contacted by a prospective employer, that way you will know what they are telling people and can either:

a) Update your CV to match their records
b) Argue the case with them if you believe their records are incorrect

Back
Top Bottom