Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Loss of USB Power

Associate
Hi,

I've been having a bit of a nightmare with a new system build which will randomly loose power to the USB ports on the mobo effectivly stopping the KB/Mouse from working.

Only way to get them working is to reboot the system, this seems to happen totally randomly during games or if the system is left idle for any length of time.

I have built two identical systems one works without any issue and the other has this intermittent USB issue.

Initially thinking it may have been a faulty PSU I have swapped this for a spare both Corsair 850w PSU's but till having the issue.

Am starting to think it could be an issue with the motherboard, had anyone else come across this issue before?

Soldato
What ports are you using?..I have the same board (non pro version)with no issues,both my USB mouse and Keyboard are plugged into USB 2.0 ports at rear.

Does this happen with any USB 2.0 port?

Associate
OP
Using the USB 2.0 ports rear top of the board, I have two of these boards one works fine the other has this issue - is so damn intermittent though.

PC's are identical builds.

Associate
I have exactly the same problem with the same board. USB power intermittently fails. Usually the mouse drops out and then gets reconnected multiple times. Eventually all USB devices stop working and I have no choice but to hit the power button.

Running a brand new rig. Asus p8z68 pro/gen3, 2x4gb Kingston hyperx 1600, i7 2700k, gtx 570, all voltages/timings set correctly with no overclock. At first I thought it was a windows issue but I've since lost USB power while I was in the bios. I'm at a loss with this one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have exactly the same problem with the same board. USB power intermittently fails. Usually the mouse drops out and then gets reconnected multiple times. Eventually all USB devices stop working and I have no choice but to hit the power button.

Running a brand new rig. Asus p8z68 pro/gen3, 2x4gb Kingston hyperx 1600, i7 2700k, gtx 570, all voltages/timings set correctly with no overclock. At first I thought it was a windows issue but I've since lost USB power while I was in the bios. I'm at a loss with this one.

Could be faulty board,does happen even to Asus, Gigabyte or any other brand you can meantion....I have been lucky only ever had one motherboard go faulty over the last 17 years and that was a MSI board( back in 2001 which was still under warranty),even my old Epox board with leaking caps was still going strong when I retired it.

I can only think of trying the board out of case and double check all connections.

Associate
OP
I had the same issues with the Asus Maximus Extreme IV, USB would randomly drop then work for days at a time before doing it again. This new system is built up with the original components from that system so I'm either very unlucky and have had two ASUS boards with the same issue or one of the other components is casuing the issue.

So far I have swapped out the PSU both 850W Corsair, I've also installed on the WD Black rather than the SSD incase it was an issue with the Windows install on the SSD.

I've been running this sytem with just one stick of RAM since Friday with no issues, however the issue is so damn intermittent it can take a few days to occur.

Last edited:

si_

si_

Associate
Hi,

I have the same MB and have the same problem with the USB ports all losing power at boot intermittently. The initial American megatrends boot screen shows that there is no keyboard attached.

However after a few reboots it works fine and has not occurred whilst I have been running with Linux (my main OS) or Win7.

Hoping it is something that can be fixed with a BIOS update.

Si

Soldato
I have the exact same mobo the Gen 3 version.

My first board had your problem my latest board the ASMedia controller for the USB3 just stops working.

I have to do a bios reset to get the AS Media controller to show up in device manager. Then after a while it will dissapear again. The machine functions perfectly apart from this. There seems to be only one BIOS for this board also. Bit of a pain im hoping they will fix with a BIOS update.

Associate
OP
I have two of these boards, one appears to work fine the other has this USB issue, though since removing a stick of RAM I've yet to see it happen again.

I'm going to call Asus in the week and see what they say.

Soldato
as mine is only with the USB3 controller im living with it. I needed my PC for a lan party im currently at this weekend.

I will try trouble shooting it next week when i am home see if i can come up with a solution. At present i can get it to work each time with a hard bios reset.

Soldato
as mine is only with the USB3 controller im living with it. I needed my PC for a lan party im currently at this weekend.

I will try trouble shooting it next week when i am home see if i can come up with a solution. At present i can get it to work each time with a hard bios reset.

I'm using the USB 3.0 drivers from here http://www.overclock.net/t/1042186/asus-z68-series-information-thread-drivers-bioses-overclocking-reviews .
I even got a front USB 3.0 bay plugged into the board as well which works fine.

I did read somewhere sometimes older versions of AI Suite can cause problems with USB 3.0,recommended to uninstall AI suite then reinstall USB 3.0 drivers.
Btw I'm not using AI suite,do my OC via UEFI BIOS ,this is also my first Asus board so don't ask me what I did right .

Last edited:
Soldato
Drivers are not my problem the device keeps dissapearing from device manager like ive turned it off in the bios (which i have not)
I presume you have reset BIOS via the RTC switch on the board,only thing I can think of,still possible you got a faulty board or faulty USB 3.0 controller...
Let us know if you resolve your issue.

Right off to game now in Skyrim,catch you guys later.

Back
Top Bottom