20 years since Freddie died

Associate
It was 20 years ago today that the great Freddie Mercury passed away, really doesn't seem that long ago.

Hope I hear a few queen songs on the radio in recognition of what a truly amazing voice he had.

Anyway here's to you Freddie and may you continue to Rest in peace.

Man of Honour
Weird, I can still remember exactly where I was when I was told Freddie was dying.
I was working on storage heaters and my mate had been to town at dinnertime to buy the cassette of Innuendo and then put it on his Walkman.
Right after the album had finished he had tears rolling down his cheeks and I asked him 'what's up' and he said 'Freddie is dying'.
Of course I told him to stop talking rubbish but he was convinced because of lyrics on the album especially The Show Must Go On.

Have I ever mentioned I first saw Queen supporting Mott The Hoople and then saw them on their very first headlining tour?
I don't think I have.

Soldato
I can remember the time and place when i found out he'd died. I was having breakfast with the ex-wife at her parents house. I was 21 and altough was totally gutted and fetl like crying, i manned up in front of the ex.
Even now i think the music world still feels his loss.....considering some of the dross that is around today.

RIP Freddie

FreddieMercuryKing.jpg

Associate
A very sad moment. Was a big Queen fan when I was younger, a friend and I used to trawl record fairs trying to get the whole single collection between us and got there in the end. Gutted I never got to see him perform live though - he has to be one of the greatest stage performers ever imo.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Heard this today, forgot about the date completely until I read it..

Spooky thing is, not listened to their stuff for a few months, decided yesterday to put the first 8 albums back on the iPod in teh car and was listening to Queen II (their best work) on the way to work this morning..

Soldato
I remember that our deputy headmaster spoke about Freddie during morning Assembly on the day he died. He must have been a bit of a fan as he had never spoken at an assembly before and never did again.

The music snobs may look down their noses at him and Queen, but I still think they're one of the great bands, and Freddie was without equal.

20 years... :(

Soldato
Love Queen, loved freddie.

I can remember the day he died, 10 years old i ran in the house screaming and shouting Dad, Dad did you hear Eddie Murphy is dead!

My Dad wet himself with laughter, ill always remember that day.

R.I.P Freddie you were a great entertainer and a gift to music fans across the world.

On a side note, just got my dad the rock Montreal and Live aid bluray, should be epic crimbo watching!

Man of Honour
20 years... Wow. Still missed. Innuendo really does sounds like a farewell from Freddie when you listen to it.

Going to watch Wembley '86 now. Was the first concert I went to as well. Not bad for an 8yr old. :D

I can remember the day he died, 10 years old i ran in the house screaming and shouting Dad, Dad did you hear Eddie Murphy is dead!

Oh, if only! :D

On a side note, just got my dad the rock Montreal and Live aid bluray, should be epic crimbo watching!

Rock Montreal is an almost perfect example of what a concert bluray should be like. Just turn it up as loud as it'll go. ;)

Soldato
It will be as loud as the system will let it, cant wait, too often i seem to get drunk and blast some queen through the headphones, currently have '86 on youtube.

And yes id trade Eddie in a heartbeat!

Man of Honour

My youngest daughter is 23 and only 2 weeks ago she, her sister & friends were talking and Freddie Mercury came up.
My daughter said 'Isn't he the donkey in Shrek?'.
She paid for it big time on Facebook.

Anyway, I might give Queen 1 & 2 a play - proper Queen when the music press called them the new Led Zeppelin.

Back
Top Bottom