• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** Single, Dual & Triple Card 7970 - BATTLEFIELD 3 - HIGH RESOLUTION BENCHMARKS **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Yo!

Been thrashing these new cards today, Heaven benchmark scores are all well and good but what we ALL want to know is how these babies run BF3!

When all said and done, there isn't any other game worth playing so... :p

X79 motherboard
8 Core 2011 Xeon with HT
16GB Dominator GT 2133
1200W Antec PSU

benchmarks taken in game with fraps
60 second recording time
first person gameplay [not using vehicles]
Map Played - Caspian Boarder
min,max,avg recorded

Running at 2560X1600 with all settings on maximum.
2560X1600Settings.jpg

System was quiet using a single card and fairly quiet using two cards but very loud with three cards.
being used to water-cooled graphics cards, I was shocked at how quiet the stock cooler is. I really like the way that the idle cards turn off when on desktop too.
That, is smart.

Another thing that was surprising was the smoothness of the game, even when fraps was reporting the fps at below 40
Tri fire decimated everything though. as we expected.

I did three runs at 2560X1600 with one, two and three cards

I then did the benchmark on a single card at 1080p as well using the same settings.

1920X1080Settings.jpg

here are the results:

Untitled-2.jpg

GTX 580 3GB Testing with a marginal overclock [similar to the clock on the 7970s, slight increase of the speeds on stock volts] 850 core on both cards.

580comparison.jpg

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Hi Guys

we only have limited time for our benchmarking runs.

we have done 2560X1600 as that is what this card is designed to work on.

I have done a 1080p benchmark on the single card as that will be what most people have done.

I haven't ran any power usage tests.
1. I don't have time
2. There are plenty of official reviews out there with indications of power usage
3. If I was buying a high end flagship GPU, then I probably wouldnt be caring too much about my electricity bill :) [buy a Corvette, ask about fuel efficiency]

Soldato
if people run at low resolutions such as 1080p they shouldn't even be thinking about this card. The GTX580 is plenty good enough.

This new generation are for people like me :D /smug

more HIGH RESOLUTION please, keep up the good work

OcUK Staff
Hi there

To put it simple Ive experienced BF3 for the first time and I was able to set everything to maximum at 2560x1600 resolution with a single 7970 and enjoy fluid silky smooth frame rates whilst crashing aeroplanes many times. :D

Soldato
Hi there

To put it simple Ive experienced BF3 for the first time and I was able to set everything to maximum at 2560x1600 resolution with a single 7970 and enjoy fluid silky smooth frame rates whilst crashing aeroplanes many times. :D

at that screen res the 3GB must be helping :D

Back
Top Bottom