Cooking with Jonny69 and Gordon: Pork cheeks in spices

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Either last Christmas or the year before I got Gordon Ramsay's Great British Pub Food. I've made a couple of the recipes but one I really wanted to try was the pork cheeks in spices and bashed neeps. I really like my unusual cuts of meat, but being a townie with no butcher, I'd never seen pork cheeks anywhere. The Waitrose near me just had a refit with a bigger butcher counter though, and yesterday I spotted what I'd been waiting for: 600g of pork cheeks reduced to clear for £1.27. Bargain!

IMG_7659.JPG

Recipe (serves 4-6):
1.4kg pork cheeks
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
175ml clear honey
1 tsp cloves
1 star anise
1 sprig thyme
750ml chicken stock

I made half-quantity - one for me and the other for the freezer.

First things first, chop the veg and cut any large bits of fat from the cheeks. I have arranged this photo to make it look as authentic as possible and with the recipe book in place so as not to claim this recipe as mine in any way :D

IMG_7644.JPG

So what's a cheek like then? Well I've cooked ox cheek before. It's a smooth shaped piece of meat, firm to the touch, very dark in colour, with marbling running through it. It's a slow-cook cut, inexpensive, and makes the most unctuous stew you can imagine.

IMG_7647.JPG

Ox cheek trumps oxtail for me, so I was very excited when I spotted the pork cheeks. The 600g I bought was a total of 10 cheeks, so 5 per portion and this was just right for me.

Brown the cheeks in a little oil in batches so as not to overload the pan:

IMG_7649.JPG

Set them aside and fry off the vegetables in a good knob of butter until golden brown. Add the tomato purée and continue to fry for another minute. Then tip everything into a casserole dish, all the remaining ingedients and put it into the oven at 150 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I did mine in the pressure cooker at full pressure but a low heat because of the honey, for 30 minutes. At which point it should look like this:

IMG_7650.JPG

Take the meat out. It is so soft and untuous at this point, so take care:

IMG_7651.JPG

Then pour the sauce through a seive and boil it down by about two thirds, which thickens it up and darkens it. It needs a lot of seasoning because of the honey, so be prepared to put a lot of salt in! It's worth it though. Serve with buttery swede mash:

IMG_7658.JPG

I have to say, this is probably the finest tasting stew I've ever had. I don't like licking balls, but I guess it is the sign of a truly great chef like Gordon Ramsay: I can create a pretty good tasting stew myself, but he is able to take it to another level without complicating it. The only changes I made was I used a pinch of Chinese 5-spice because I didn't have any star anise and I put a small pinch of chilli flakes in. I'd have never used that much honey myself, but it really does work in this recipe. Have a go at this with some stewing pork, because the recipe is really delicious :)

Soldato
Looks great. It's really frustrating how supermarkets don't tend to stock the more interesting/cheap cuts of meat. I had to get up early today to get some beef shin from our butchers before work as I'm cooking a massive pot of chilli for New Years. Why Tesco and the like can't stock that kind of thing I really don't know. I've tried 'stewing' beef before from the supermarket and it was awful.

Seen as the cold weather is (probably) approaching I will definitely be trying either pork/ox cheek or maybe oxtail.

Soldato
Forgive my ignorance, but which cheek? Face cheek, or a la Ren and Stimpy "pork butts (and taters)?

Looks incredibly tasty, and very professionally presented. Nicely done. :)

It's the cheek from the face, as it does a lot of work with chewing it's quite tough, but gets very tender when cooked in a casserole.
Confusingly pork butt is actually from the shoulder.

I've never done pork cheek myself, but this looks great. Will have to source some and give it a go at some point.

It's the cheek from the face, as it does a lot of work with chewing it's quite tough, but gets very tender when cooked in a casserole.
Confusingly pork butt is actually from the shoulder.

I've never done pork cheek myself, but this looks great. Will have to source some and give it a go at some point.

Every day is a school day. :) Cheers dude.

Man of Honour
Oh many you have me salivating. Also a fond fan of the cheaper cuts. So much flavour and if you slow cook it, it's just heavenly. Haven't seen pork cheeks before though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
That book is amazing and looks like it worked perfectly.

The devilled kidneys and potted shrimp are ace too, the latter is really easy and cheap too!
I remember you said about them before. I still haven't done them :o

They look lovely! £1.27 is mental also :o
Full price would have still been under £3, for two really decent sized portions. SO much nomnomnom/£ :D

Man of Honour
It would be nice of more places had cheaper cuts. I mean if waitrose charge 5.99 per kilo of Aberdeen Angus ox cheeks, how much would a normal supermarket charge.
It would make a massive difference in cooking fresh cheap dishes.

Soldato
Very nice, I also love cheap meat/fish. However, it isn't that easy to source.

If I bump into the manager of the meat section tomorrow at work (I work at ASDA) I'll ask about stocking pork cheek.

Any chance you want to scan the book and email me it? :)

Back
Top Bottom