Cl8 and Cl9 memory

Associate
Hi guys, long time no post :)
Ok I was in OCUK yesterday buying and SSD drive for my PC and while I was there I asked for a price on some memory to match my Gskill Ripjaws (F3-12800CL8, they had none but the guy said for 35 notes you could buy 8gb of the CL9 (12800CL9) and maybe mix, he wasn't 100% sure if they would work but I have them running and all seems ok after playing hours on MW3 last night. Question, is it safe to do this?
Next question, I bought my SSD knowing that my motherboard is not sata 3 therefore I will not get full speed out of my drive until I get one, but are there any things I can do to get the most out of it until then? I think its only running at half speed until I get the pennies to get the next mobo.
I have my setting in Bios to ACHI mode, but not sure if there are other settings to change.
here is pic....

Untitled by evohicks, on Flickr

Soldato
Yes it is safe, just means that all your memory will be running at the slowest speed

google ssd windows 7 optimisation and youll find loads of guides... did you do a fresh install or just ghost over your windows install? you'll need to do a fresh install for best results as win 7 will optimise itself to a certain extent as it is ssd aware

Associate
Make sure you turn of Disk Defrag as there is no need for this on a SSD.

I also lower my paging file as well from 9gig to 4096.
I disabled windows restore as well but you do this at your own risk as if anything goes
badly wrong you will have to re-install again but it does save space on the drive.
I also turned off hibernation and changed power options for performance and turned off sleep mode for the drive.

Windows 7 will take care of the rest of the stuff for the drive.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks, done that, just system restore to turn off. I have 3 more sata drives to save any info, no prob with that. Just hope I don't get too many good games now ;)

Back
Top Bottom