Project "International" - x79, 3x7970, 64GB RAM

Soldato
Hi all,

My old quad core Q9650/4GB system was no longer able to deliver the functionality I wanted so, during October 2011 I used this forum to start researching a new build, it has taken me until today to be able to afford all the parts I needed and put them together.

My previous experience with water-cooling was an upgrade I performed in 2008 to install a Zalman Reserator V2 to cool my CPU so, I expected a steep learning curve and that is what i got !

The basic specifications for this build are as follows:

Silverstone TJ11 case
Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU
X79 - Asus Rampage Extreme IV with 3960K CPU
64GM RAM - Corsair Dominator 1600MHZ
2 x Crucial SSD 64GB+512GB
3 x XFX 7970 Cards

The watercooling parts:

1 x XSPC RX480 Radiator
1 x 120MM Blackice Stealth Single Radiator
2 x Swiftech MCP35x Pumps
1 x Aqua-computer Aquaero Controller
2 x Aqua-computer Aqaaero poweradjust
1 x EK Dual Pumptop
1 x EK Single Reseviour with threaded top
3 x EK 7970 Acetal+Nickel Blocks
3 x EK Link connectors
1 x EK Triple Bridge Serial
1 x EK Rampage IV Extreme full-cover block kit
2 x EK Dominator RAM Blocks
4 x Typhoon 120MM fans 18xx RPM
1 x Noiseblocker 120MM fan
1 x Aqua-computer flow-metres
3 x Masterkleer hosing pack, Clear 1/4, 3/4 OD.
8 x 1L bottles of Feser clear UV
1 x Phoyba Radiator Stand

Lots of bitspower fittings
Lots of koolance quick-disconnects
OEM white-label in-line temp monitors

Misc

2 x XSPC LED Lighting controller - White
Lots of Bitfenix braided cabling - White

Abandoned parts

1 x XSPC RS360 Radiator
1 x XSPC RX240 Radiator
1 x Koolance Liquid detector
1 x Koolance Liquid filter
2 x Aqua-computer poweradjust
2 x Swiftech MCP35x heat-sinks

Various Bitspower and Koolance fittings
Various Bitfenix cables
Various temperature monitors

Main things I learned:

Stock levels are a problem. Shipping costs to the UK for components are EXPENSIVE

I was surprised how little stock there is for some fittings and parts in the UK. I was not prepared for the full-horror which was shipping costs from Koolance and Swiftech for components. I also had to import the EK blocks and Bitspower fittings.

Even more horrific was shipping parts back to EK (originally the build was GTX580 based).

Realised you have bought one fewer parts from Koolance than you need? Yep that will be another small fortune. I was very impressed at the 3 day shipping speed from the U.S West coast though.

Regarding space for a double or triple radiator in the bottom of the TJ11.

With a strider 1500W PSU there is very limited space in the bottom of the TJ11 for both an RX quad radiator and anything else. I originally planned to place both a quad and a double radiator into the bottom of the TJ11, the length of the Strider PSU means this is not really possible unless, you are willing to custom cut ALL of the power cabling or compromise with the Quad-radiator/fans and go for something slimmer like a Blackice stealth with slim-line fans. The RX480/Strider combination is a bit of a monster and with a single bank of fans eats a lot of space.

Regarding push/pull fans typhoon fans, TJ11 and the RX480

Again, I had to abandon the idea of a push/pull setup with the RX480 due to the higher profile of the fans themselves. There was simply not enough space to install a push/pull setup with the typhoons and the RX480/Strider combination. In the end I settled with a single bank of fans on the outside of the RX480 in a pull configuration.

Regarding loop complexity/flow-rate

One of the lessons I learned *after* I had assembled everything is that you need to keep the loop simple. Sounds straightforward enough but in practice a complex equipment setup, an elaborate loop is easy to fall into especially, if you have the parts at hand. Complex loops also means higher-risk of leaks and sure enough, that was my experience.

My earlier attempt at a loop yielded an almighty 60L/PH, pretty insane considering each swiftech pump is rated at 1000L/PH.

After some minor adjustments, I doubled this to 120L/PH and I am confident I can get more out of it over time.

Power-up your components before fitting blocks. Things can arrive broken

On first boot-up, with minimal power plugged in, my X79 board decided to fry its VRMs, with no reasonable explanation. My second board has no issues.

Swifttech MCP35x heatsinks do not fit if you use them in a dual configuration

They cost me $60USD in costs and shipping. facepalm

Be prepared to turn the rig almost up-side down in order to remove trapped air

Not so easy when the rig is so heavy and expensive.

Comments on components

The EK Blocks, Blackice, Koolance and Bitspower parts are so well engineered, they are very well made indeed.

Bitspower fittings are well worth the extra.

Masterkleer hose was a joy to work with and cut.

Bitfenix cables are expensive but again, very nicely braided.

The Typhoon fans are not pretty and their cables are not braided. Fail on looks, the Win on noise and performance.

Noiseblocker fans are nicer than the Typhoons and have braided cables.

Aquacomputer make good things but cannot write good instructions. Very frustrating to work with, great functionality and engineering.

What would I do differently next time?

1. Consider stronger pumps, the MCP35x don't seem to like restrictive loops at all
2. Consider using slimmer radiators in a push-pull configuration
3. Consider a shorter PSU
4. Not too sure white braided cabling is going to look good long term - maybe go for Silver.

Here are some photos of the build at 90% completion, I will be uploading the full set of photos of the rig as it was built, in a few days.

Soldato
OP
Water temps are in the 22C-45C range although, I have not run Heaven on it yet, just 3DMark2011. Flow rate is dissapointing at the moment, I was hoping for over 200L/ph, I think its the EK Motherboard block and associated tubing that are causing the problem, its very tight for 1/4 tubing and all those tight bends are not helping.

Having said that, the rig seems very happy at 120L/Ph. The CPU temps under 3DMark peak at around 50C and the CPU peak at 60C.

She benches at just under 9,000 Marks in the 3DMark2011 Extreme preset. This is with the overclock sliders for the Radeon's at Maximum (Catalyst) and a CPU clock of 4.25GHZ.

In terms of cost, I think it cost me about £5k but, I have enough fittings and other left overs to cover another build (maybe £500 worth). As I was learning I made many mistakes on the fittings especially, the koolance QDC's. If you make a mistake, its expensive.

Associate
Wow <-- Thats really sums it up. That and :o

Thats one hell of a beast. Looks incredible, I've seem some builds but this is up there. You should be proud. Be nice to get some photos of front and inside with light etc :)

Soldato
OP
Wow <-- Thats really sums it up. That and :o

Thats one hell of a beast. Looks incredible, I've seem some builds but this is up there. You should be proud. Be nice to get some photos of front and inside with light etc :)

Thankyou.

I have been waiting on more parts for the lighting and the fouth 7970 card.

EK Backplate for 7970 in short supply.

I should be completed in a weeks time and will post a few more photos.

You cannot see it clearly in the completed photos but there is a water-cooled Aquaero 5 and Power-Adjust at the front.

Associate
WOW!!!::eek:
I`m really impressed. I would not have the guts to do it. Everything it`s water cooled. Even the memory. wooow
And the 64 GB Ram it`s the cherry on top of the cake.
Congrats!!! It`s a very clean and neat build.:cool:
I`m going to build my own 64 GB Ram system, and yours it really inspired me. Thanks!!!

OcUK Staff
Thankyou.

I have been waiting on more parts for the lighting and the fouth 7970 card.

EK Backplate for 7970 in short supply.

I should be completed in a weeks time and will post a few more photos.

You cannot see it clearly in the completed photos but there is a water-cooled Aquaero 5 and Power-Adjust at the front.

Great Rig that to be honest really well built. I am impressed.

Soldato
Great rig! I would've gone nVidia but each to their own ;)
I can't see in the pictures, but are you watercooling the MOSFETs on the motherboard? If not have you got sufficient airflow? The MOSFETs get seriously warm on X79 when overclocking.

Edit: Just seen the full board RIVE set. Should be nice and cool :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
the power adjusts are expansion units for the controller. As it worked out they are not actually required at the moment as there is just enough number of ports on the main controller.

Back
Top Bottom