Do you need insurance for Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One

One

Soldato
I ask simply because me and some mates had the idea of chipping in a bit of money for a cheap car sub £500 and just getting single day insurance to get us to Dover and then driving to Italy either for a week or until the car breaks down and at the end just getting a plane home and giving the keys to the car to a local.

I'm just wondering what the rules are. And also any common sense as obviously our idea is something only young people such as us would do. Some of you with more experience of cross-continental travel might give us good reason to get insurance even if it isn't required by law etc.

Man of Honour
Of course insurance is required in Europe. Even if it wasn't then what would you plan to do when you accidentally drive into someones expensive car?

Many countries also have regulations about carrying first aid kits and spare bulbs, etc.

One

One

Soldato
OP
The idea was just to get a cheap car and then dump it in the hands of a happy/confused local. Don't really want to dump a car I'm insured and registered on tbh. Might get extradited and sent to jail for life.

Man of Honour
So you were considering driving an uninsured car which isn't registered to you?

Errr... I hate to ask but do you have a driving license? You could go for the hat trick here :D

One

One

Soldato
OP
I know how to drive. I just thought the rules were different on the continent. Like how you can go past speed cameras and hear nothing of it.

Man of Honour
Just get insurance and take it to scrap yard, sell it, donate it and fill in the relevant section on the v5 form. Probably the exporting bit.

It's not hard and I have no idea why you think it is. Very baffling attitude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom