HP ML110 G7 32GB RAM - Cashback

Associate
The HP ML110 G7 Xeon E3-1220 is on a nice £150 GBP cashback offer right now

Has anyone ever installed 32GB of RAM in one of these babies yet? and if they have how and what type of memory have they used.

Does anyone know if NON-ECC Unbuffered works in these machines?

officially HP only support 16GB Max, but have seen a seller on eBay selling these boxes with 32GB ECC memory, i wanted to find out if NON-ECC works as its much cheaper.

It seems HP are trying to shift stocks of these as here where I am they have just started a promotion with 2x250GB hdd and 4GB ram for S$799 (around 350 quid).

They are also have the same unit on sale in the US currently.

RB

I Brought my ML110 G7 last month (16GB) and assuming its pretty much the same it takess ECC RAM.

I made the mistake 1st time round going for non-ecc ram and then another mistake of buying 1x8GB of ECC ram opposed to 2x4GB sticks.

All running perfectly now...Still waiting the cash back cheque mind you. Should be with my in the next 2weeks. When they say 45 days they sure do mean it.

Are you sure these will work with more than 16GB, from what I have read they wont and there arent any unlocked BIOSes that allow more. Ended up buying 2 Fujitsu TX100 S3 servers, £100 cashback at the mo and support 32GB RAM.

I've also been taking a look at the G7 which works out around £250 with the cashback.

What I've read echoes what Lorddalron says, it's 4x4GB of ECC ram (around £120). You can not use 8gb sticks or non-ECC.

Vmware ESXi 5.x looks like it works fine but there are a few BIOS settings that you need to set first: http://www.bussink.ch/?p=382

How is it for noise? I'd be putting in it my rack under the stairs so hoping it's nice and quiet?
I'd not seen the Fujitsu's before, looks like they are around £400 after cashback?

A business in USA is selling these boxes with 32GB RAM, The memory they are using is ECC, the configuration is 8GB x 4, if you are on the latest BIOS it works, but to put 4 X 8GB ECC is very expensive, what kind of memory does the Fujitsu take? I'm looking for a server that can take non-ecc ram.

eBay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-HP-Pr...732540?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item46020721bc

Item number: 300681732540

Hmmm.. Not only is the RAM capacity their quoting a worrying statement but the fact that there also saying the HDD's are hot swappable is one to check as with mine there not. I take it your not looking to buy from that American company at that crazy price minus shipping, taxation etc etc.

I Brought my ML110 G7 last month (16GB) and assuming its pretty much the same it takess ECC RAM.

I made the mistake 1st time round going for non-ecc ram and then another mistake of buying 1x8GB of ECC ram opposed to 2x4GB sticks.

All running perfectly now...Still waiting the cash back cheque mind you. Should be with my in the next 2weeks. When they say 45 days they sure do mean it.

What ram did you buy ?

I have been putting 8GB sticks in both Intel and Supermicro C202/204/206 boards without an issue but I have only tried one particular part from Kingston (KVR1333D3E9S/8G). I have obviously not tried on the ML110 but if any will work it is most likely to be this part number.

RB

What ram did you buy ?

I have been putting 8GB sticks in both Intel and Supermicro C202/204/206 boards without an issue but I have only tried one particular part from Kingston (KVR1333D3E9S/8G). I have obviously not tried on the ML110 but if any will work it is most likely to be this part number.

RB

Cant mind part numbers mate, but Corsair Vengence was the first batch i purchased (Non-ECC) and the problem with the Kingston was the fact that it was an 8GB stick. Both times as soon as the machine was switched on the machine threw upp a red light on the front (System critical) and a continual bleep.

First time however sticking in the 8GB stick i left in the original 2GB stick and it booted fine and when i went to check RAM capacity in my computer properties it was showing total RAM at 10GB but only using the 2GB so i took out the 2GB, tried to boot and got the error.

I did go into the BIOS before sending back the Corsair that time to see if i could disable the ECC function as it wasnt really somthing that would be needed for what i intend to use the server for but there was nothing i could see in any part of the BIOS.

All working fine now though, going to get another 8GB in a few weeks just for the sake of having it mnaxed to 16gb.

In regards to prices. The ECC definitely works out that bit dearer but thankfully enough the place i get my stuff from sells open packs that have be either returned/damaged and brought down in price.

How is it for noise? From what I've read the fans use 5pin connectors and the machine shuts down if any of them are doing less than 1000rpm. That's fine if it's already reasonably quiet but a real problem if it needs replacement fans :(

Thanks for the Kingston part number, it's a little cheaper (£27 for 4gb) than the Crucial. Does it come with 2x1gb or a singe stick?

I'm assuming it's a bit like the Microserver in that the 4disk bay uses a SAS connector and there is a SATA socket on the mb for a DVD? How many SATA sockets does it have?

I'm assuming the PSU is a nonstandard size?

How is it for noise? From what I've read the fans use 5pin connectors and the machine shuts down if any of them are doing less than 1000rpm. That's fine if it's already reasonably quiet but a real problem if it needs replacement fans :(

Thanks for the Kingston part number, it's a little cheaper (£27 for 4gb) than the Crucial. Does it come with 2x1gb or a singe stick?

I'm assuming it's a bit like the Microserver in that the 4disk bay uses a SAS connector and there is a SATA socket on the mb for a DVD? How many SATA sockets does it have?

I'm assuming the PSU is a nonstandard size?

As i do very little with it right now apart from running 1 Virtual machine via Hyper V and having only 1 250gb HDD, it runs very quiet indeed. I have my main pc in the kitchen and the server sitting beside my unit and its not destracting by any means (I wouldnt have it there if it was mind you).

In regards to it being like a Microserver. I dont think so. Originally i was going to go for the N40L but after much debate and taking things like the maximum amount of RAM was only 8GB, the ML110 seemed the better option for me with better scalability. I havent looked into yet but at least the ML100's Intel processor can be changed down the line should i be running a more sophisticated setup. The ML100 hs a Dual core 2.9ghz processor from Intel where as the n40l was only about 1.5ghz IIRC.

My machine came as standard wioth 250gb HDD and DVD/RW drive, keyboard & mouse. Some companies advertise the machine without the DVD and accessories so thats one to watch.

Another thing that made me go for the G7 was the fact that it offered better RAID facilities. Im not using it right now but im sure once i begin my Server 08 admin studies i'll be looking to get my head around how it works from 0-10.

Other specs are as follows:

4 front USB 2.0 sockets, 4 x Rear

2x Gigabit LAN ports

Serial port

Twin ps2 ports

4 x Exansion bays at rear

5.25" drive at the front below DVD drive (Space for more HDD's possible :D)

4 x HDD bays (3.5") SATA non hot swappable (Max 2TB)

Not too sure on how many sata ports mate. Sorry.

Real good bit of kit for the money and for what im doing. I brought mine for the soul purpose of helping me with my Microsoft certifications but down the line i'll kill two birds and rack out the HDD's and ultilise them for main pc storage.

Thanks for the info, glad to hear its not noisy :)

When I say 'like the Microserver' I was talking about the hard disk configuration. It does look like the same 4 disk bay with a SAS connector. On the Microserver the single SATA port is BIOS limited to ATA133, which is fine for a DVDROM but useless for an SSD. There is a bios mod to correct this on the Microserver but I've not seen anything for the G7.

The RAID chip is indeed much better than the microservers ATI one, but it's still essentially software RAID. It's a HP B110i controller, which I believe only supports RAID 0 or 1? The monitor software looks a lot better, have you played with iLO at all yet?

Is there an ESATA port on the back?

It does look like the same 4 disk bay with a SAS connector. On the Microserver the single SATA port is BIOS limited to ATA133, which is fine for a DVDROM but useless for an SSD. There is a bios mod to correct this on the Microserver but I've not seen anything for the G7.

The RAID chip is indeed much better than the microservers ATI one, but it's still essentially software RAID. It's a HP B110i controller, which I believe only supports RAID 0 or 1? The monitor software looks a lot better, have you played with iLO at all yet?

Is there an ESATA port on the back?

The BIOS ATA, its ATA300.

Whats the iLO??
EDIT: No SATA port on rear no!! and in regards to an earlier question about the RAM. It comes with 1x 2GB Stick!

Last edited:
Cant mind part numbers mate, but Corsair Vengence was the first batch i purchased (Non-ECC) and the problem with the Kingston was the fact that it was an 8GB stick. Both times as soon as the machine was switched on the machine threw upp a red light on the front (System critical) and a continual bleep.

First time however sticking in the 8GB stick i left in the original 2GB stick and it booted fine and when i went to check RAM capacity in my computer properties it was showing total RAM at 10GB but only using the 2GB so i took out the 2GB, tried to boot and got the error.

I did go into the BIOS before sending back the Corsair that time to see if i could disable the ECC function as it wasnt really somthing that would be needed for what i intend to use the server for but there was nothing i could see in any part of the BIOS.

All working fine now though, going to get another 8GB in a few weeks just for the sake of having it mnaxed to 16gb.

In regards to prices. The ECC definitely works out that bit dearer but thankfully enough the place i get my stuff from sells open packs that have be either returned/damaged and brought down in price.

Kingston list 2GB and 4GB ECC sticks compatible here. 8GB ECC sticks not mentioned (not tested or not compatible is anyones guess). Quite a pricey mistake if they don't. The model numbers also indicate they are specifically for the ProLiant. Intel do the same and have 'special' part numers from Kingston 'certified' to work but Kingston also lists non-'special' part numbers as well where as they don't for the ProLiant. Probably safer then to stick to the 4GB as you have unless you had some use for 8GB sticks if they didn't work in the ML110G7 :D.

RB

Forgot to say, the RAM im running now is Kingstons KTH-PL313E/4GB ;)
Cheers sir! :) Was going to email you asking about this. So for each 4GB stick we're talking £10 more than the old generic stuff we were looking at but this is more guaranteed to work?

I think the server can only cope with 4GB per socket so an 8GB stick is going to make it angry. :p

I've used 4GB KTH-PL313E in several Microservers and ML110 G7s now.

Next time I've got an ML110 or DL120 G7 in to build I'll grab some of the 8GB flavour to see if it works.

Back
Top Bottom