ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 not detecting GPU.

Associate
Ok I'm starting this so i don't hijack or go off topic on other threads.

The problem is as follows;

Been messing around with my Sapphire HD 7850. I was running Furmark and system froze, all fans came on 100% and I got a blank screen. I had to hold the power button down to get it to restart and know the system doesn't detect the graphics card. Using integrated graphics at the minute.

The last settings I had it at, I believe, were core 1160mhz and 1.165v. I think memory was stock. Again it's a Sapphire HD 7850 (non-OC one). Max temps were about 72°C, fans on auto hitting just under 50%.

I've restarted the PC a few times, reseated the gpu, tried it in the other PCIe slot, took it out it back in the first one. Looked in BIOS for PCIe graphics etc. Device manager doesn't see it at all, not even a yellow triangle for an unknown device.

Any ideas?

Update.

So I brought the GPU into a local PC hardware shop and they kindly stuck it into one of their machines and it was detected. They didn't have CCC drivers but it was detected none the less and they were getting a video signal from it.

I tried it again in mine since incase plugging it into their mobo "reset" it to default (from the OC'd voltage) but still nothing. Also deleted MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak just in case the problem was the OC and they were loading it at the higher setting. Completely removed all ATI/AMD drivers and folders (even in registry) but that didn't help either.

Looks like it's my mobo (ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 BIOS v1.40)? I don't have another card to test in it though.

Got another HDD to try a clean install?

No such luck. I only have an external HDD that has a load of stuff I need on it.

Could you have fried one of your PCI-e power lines? May be worth trying a different one or a different PSU. First, clear CMOS and see if your board will detect it.

How do I do this exactly? Shut down PC and remove power cables? Leave power plugged in? Do I need to hold the clear CMOS button for a minute or something?

Last edited:
Associate
Shut down, leave power cable plugged in but switch off PSU. Then just press the clear CMOS button on the back (I'm assuming you have one since my AsRock Z68 does). Shouldn't need to do more than that. I'd do all this with the card out, then put it back in and hope for the best.

Consult your mobo manual in case I've got the instructions for CMOS reset wrong. In particular I'm not sure if the clear CMOS buttons work with the PSU off. My instructions might only be relevant for the jumper method.

Back
Top Bottom