Car hits crowd at GTI International

Man of Honour
I'm hearing news that a Seat Leon came of the drag strip and ploughed into the crowd today. Apparently 3 people hurt and an air ambulance was needed. Hopefully they aren't too bad. I was intending to go there today but didn't make it because of a very long day at work yesterday.

Good luck to anyone hurt.

Me and a mate were down there today and witnessed the whole thing - just totally shocking as to what happened. Remember seeing the Leon just rearing towards us and then ploughed straight into the barriers and then hit them 3 people.

Couldnt believe my eyes and how quick it happened, we all thought all 3 were dead and then everyone crowded round and rushed around the scene. A couple of minutes later it was confirmed all 3 were conscious. Me and my mate then decided to leave because of how shocked and saddened we felt.

Word going round is that the worst who was airlifted to hospital suffered from a fractured pelvis.

Fingers crossed to the 3 who were injured today, I hope they have a speedy recovery. The Leon indeed did have a snap-on steering wheel that had come off, but not once did we see his brake lights come on when the car flew past.

Liam

I was about 50m nearer the start. I saw him go past me and glanced back to see the 60mph time then looked back just as he demolished the cone and went through the barrier.

Sickening feeling. Also odd to see so many people rush down there. There were already a large number up that end and if you don't have any medical knowledge you're better off staying away simply because they then had to get on the PA system to ask people to move away for the ambulance etc to get there.

Definitely seems like his steering wheel came off and haven't read anything along the lines of fatalities so hopefully it's just broken bones and all concerned will recover fully.

Very sobering to think you go along for a fun day out and end up in a hospital.

No brake lights apparently, stopped by the barriers under the car. Got to be able to blame this on "the scene" in one way or another

To be fair, if my steering wheel came off in my hands I'd probably just look at it and panic. I'm not sure everyone would instinctively press the brake pedal.

To be fair, if my steering wheel came off in my hands I'd probably just look at it and panic. I'm not sure everyone would instinctively press the brake pedal.

For me, pressing the brakes seems more natural than not doing so in an emergency like this.

It does, on the Seat forum people have been saying they saw people filming it. Not very nice though, filming someone who has just been run down by a car.

I'm not ashamed to admit I want to see it. I don't think it's disrespectful. We as humans by nature want to see these things. I'm only interested. I don't mean full on close ups of a broken human obviously.

Back
Top Bottom