wd10efrx

Associate
Personally more interested in the 3TB version (WD30EFRX), but now that Hitachi are gone these look like they might be a good alternative to the 5K3000/4000 and 7K drives.

Appears the WD Red's are already shipping in the US.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, saw them up on one retailer for a good price, not sure if that's just going to be an introductory price though?

To add, going to come in 1/2/3Tb sizes, so all bases covered for now!

1Tb for me as I'm poor

Soldato
OP
Whats the price increase over the WD blue/green demon8991?

Here in Korea only one site has the reds now, and the price is just about 2/3rds more than what a green/blue costs (ontop of the the green/blue price that is)

But they are very attractively priced in the US currently

Associate
No detail on the disk itself. WD website spec pdf says IntelliPower so I guess its somewhere between 5400rpm and 7200rpm

In essence these seem just like the WD Greens but with a better warranty and tweaked firmware.

Associate
Got my 3TB WD Red installed in my Synology to rebuild the array last night.

Temps are most impressive, 22c idle (considering it was warm last night!) and 33c load. In comparison the Seagate ST3000DM001 disks I have are pushing 39c under load.

I know its early days but if any more of my Seagate disks fail the warranty replacements are going and I'll be replacing them with these Western Digital Reds

Associate
Hi all

I have a htpc with 5 Samsung f4 2tb and as there gone as seagates bought them out would unsay these are the best alternatives.

I don't have a nas but I just plug tem in and go basicly so just using them as a normal storage drive.

Do u think these will be just as reliable as Samsung or better and are they just as cool or quiet as the samsungs and no head noise ?

Cheers on any help or info.

Soldato
Got my 3TB WD Red installed in my Synology to rebuild the array last night.

Temps are most impressive, 22c idle (considering it was warm last night!) and 33c load. In comparison the Seagate ST3000DM001 disks I have are pushing 39c under load.

I know its early days but if any more of my Seagate disks fail the warranty replacements are going and I'll be replacing them with these Western Digital Reds

Thats good to hear. Thinking of swapping my greens out for a pair now rather than wait until a failiure. Breaks my heart a bit though as I wont get much for my greens.

Back
Top Bottom