email setup on iPad 2

Soldato
I am helping my dad setup email on his iPad 2. I tested it and it works fine on iPhone 4S but something is stopping it on iPad

He enters account name *name*@postoffice.co.uk

Incoming mail server

Host name - pop3.mypostoffice.co.uk
Username - *name*@mypostoffice.co.uk
Password - *my password*

Outgoing mail server

Host name - smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk
Username - *name*@mypostoffice.co.uk
Password - *my password*

When I select next it says 'Verifying' then SSL comes up and asks if I wants to continue without SSL enabled. At this point on iPhone 4S it works and can receive and send email fine. But on iPad 2 it just keep verifying

Am I missing something basic here?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Is the iPad up to date?
Have you rebooted it?

Is brand new, not been rebooted yet

Progress! ...it now receives email but cannot send. I tested adding the account on iphone and it doesnt send from their either. Gets stuck 'Sending'

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I found this page and altered port from 587 to 20 and 465. none of these work though

SSL disabled and says 'The SMTP server 'smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk' is not responding check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the 'outgoing mail server' field

edit - Ive just found this info -

'Your outgoing e-mails need to go through an smtp sever that recongnises you are authorised to use it.
If you have a home broadband provider, generally speaking you will not be able to send e-mail out using the smtp on your iPhone because it doesn't recognise your phone as being connected to it .'

How does smtp work on a laptop then in Outlook express, but not from iPad / iPhone?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2782445?start=0&tstart=0

edit2 - can you only have smtp setup on one machine at a time? I am trying to setup postoffice email on my computer and errors on sending

Last edited:
Associate
ah, this old chestnut ...

This is identical to my experience about 18 months ago. From memory, my mother-in-law had got a new laptop and I was setting it up for her at my house before delivering it to her. The symptoms were that I could get Outlook to receive mail but not send it. My ISP is Sky, but my MIL's is MyPostOffice.co.uk. But, when I take the laptop to her house (and thus connected to the Postoffice-controlled ADSl line), it works. I even joined the Saga website to check on other folk's experiences - the only people that use MyPostOffice.co.uk are "of a more mature generation" than us youngsters, and it was a good place to go. The support from MyPostOffice.co.uk is not fit for purpose. You can read about my experiences at http://www.sagazone.co.uk/forums/thread/68857/ and also at http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/review/post-office-broadband/comment?page=5

I'd say there are 2 solutions - either only use MyPostOffice's Webmail (which is rather limited), or use another ISP.
Good luck.

Soldato
OP
I thought this might be the case, which would explain why I couldnt get the outgoing mail working

It wouldnt explain why he couldnt get it working on iPad though, as that is using the same wi-fi adsl. Unless of course the port needs changing to the default 25 from 587 on iPad?

I tried this with no success on my iPhone, but then im not using a controlled post office adsl line

Soldato
you should be able to use another providers SMTP address with MyPostOffice.co.uk email accounts (like with any other accounts)

I believe you can add multiple SMTP servers into iOS as a sort of fall-back list. If the first SMTP fails then it retries using the next in the list. So maybe add the MyPostOffice one, your ISP one and maybe a 3rd like Gmail?

Unfortunately this is generally always going to be a problem on mobile devices that connect to multiple different networks where ISP's only allow SMTP traffic on their own SMTP server and port.

As for the iPad "verifying", if you leave it long enough it does complete. I found the same problem on my iPad too

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I saw the multiple smtp servers.

Does this mean he will not be able to send from his @mypostoffice.co.uk account, but will be able to send from his hotmail account?

Someone at work suggested putting in the command 'telnet smtp.mypostoffice.co.uk 25' will this work if telnet is enabled? (and prove the smtp is responding)

Soldato
If he sends an email from his @mypostoffice.co.uk account via say the Gmail SMTP, the email will still originate from @mypostoffice.co.uk and will be the address people can reply to. The outgoing mail server doesn't care where it's coming from, it will just send it provided you are authenticated to use that particular SMTP server.

You should be able to test the SMTP by using telnet. I've never tried it but would think it should respond if telnet is enabled and its the correct port (a port that is also open and not redirected elsewhere on the network you are currently using)

Soldato
OP
Do you think its just worth signing him up to gmail and using that SMTP server, or is there one for hotmail? He has a hotmail account

Soldato
its probably easier to just use your ISP's SMTP and the mypostoffice.co.uk SMTP too than signing up for new accounts. I'm not sure if hotmail have an SMTP address

Associate
bit late but

email clients only work on bt network
hence if you are on open wifi or alt network then outlook or other email client will not work and you won't be able to send mail.

this may affect ipad if you have data option not wifi enaged
the server will not be able to identify you as a registered user on bt network and therefore password will be rejected

Back
Top Bottom